Please define "Made In America" for me.

warrent

Friend of Leo's
An example of this might include the Fender models such as my 70th Anniversary Broadcaster which has a body that comes from Mexico due to it's nitrocellulose finish

I'm curious is the body marked as made in Mexico? They can spray nitro in Corona if they want to.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Case by case. Too many variables.

Yup.

And guys, at this point it really is not about quality. Some of the stuff in stores made in Vietnam is remarkably fine quality (and some of it is worthless).

The real issue is, will you be able to get replacement parts for it? Is there any possibility that a warranty will be offered or honored? Will anyone closeby be able to fix it or upgrade it or reflash the thing or even tell you why it isn't working when it ought to be fine?

G.Rotten

Friend of Leo's
You don’t understand colloquialisms do you? When the Queen of England says “I’m going to America”, she’s not saying she’s going to Mexico on the American continent to the north. America is the only place known colloquially to the world as “America”, so no, it’s not referring to the continent.

By your logic, Mexico the country and New Mexico the state would be interchangeable because they both have “Mexico” in the name. If you grill a hamburger in the state of New Mexico, does that mean you’re eating Mexican food? No, it doesn’t. And if you’re playing a guitar that was “Made in Mexico”, that is not a guitar that was “Made in America”.

This argument has nothing to do with the OP's original question & I regret answering the question from another poster causing this thread to be Hijacked.

I'll ask this & then nothing else. Google "Map of America"

https://www.google.com/search?q=map...HWSuDc8Q_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1680&bih=939&dpr=1

Look at all the images that are created for the purpose of teaching Geography. Please find the country of America (which in theory should be between Canada & Mexico).

My apologies to @Digiplay for the turns taken in this Thread.

Bryan A

Tele-Holic
This argument has nothing to do with the OP's original question & I regret answering the question from another poster causing this thread to be Hijacked.

I'll ask this & then nothing else. Google "Map of America"

https://www.google.com/search?q=map...HWSuDc8Q_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1680&bih=939&dpr=1

Look at all the images that are created for the purpose of teaching Geography. Please find the country of America (which in theory should be between Canada & Mexico).

My apologies to @Digiplay for the turns taken in this Thread.

Colloquialism- a word or phrase that is not formal, typically used in ordinary or familiar conversation.

so you’re linking a google map search and telling me to find the country on a FORMAL world map that you know full well is known colloquially- INFORMALLY- to the entire world as “America”. So again, you’re arguing semantics- or playing devils advocate- and no offense, but yes, it is indeed stupid.

That Cal Webway

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
media-2.jpg

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
"Colloquial" literally means "with (a) place". It's not worldwide.

There's places where they call 'em flapjacks, although they understand when the tourists order pancakes.

Last edited:

G.Rotten

Friend of Leo's
"Colloquial" literally means "with (a) place". It's not worldwide.

Many of my co-workers are landed immigrants. I've heard over and over again that before coming to Canada they would use "America" the same way North Americans use "Overseas".

Edit. Dang.....got sucked in again. I will try harder to zip it.

Last edited:

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Australia is the name of the country AND the continent. Since no product in the world is identified by the continent of manufacture, its safe to assume that when something is labeled “Made in Australia”, it’s referring to the country name. I’m not looking for a debate either, but you’re arguing semantics, just like the guy I originally responded to who claims “Made in America” refers to Mexico and Canada.

Semantics is the entire question being asked by the original poster isn't it?