Please define "Made In America" for me.

Digiplay

Tele-Afflicted
What does it entail/mean if a Fender is Made In America?

Does every part of the guitar have to be manufactured in America?

Does the guitar have to be assembled in America?

Could some parts be made elsewhere, but as long as the guitar is assembled in America, does that fit the definition?

If so, and as I'm not sure if Nash uses all American made components, but regardless, if his guitars are assembled in the US, would a Nash guitar be considered Made In America?

kbold

Friend of Leo's
"Made in America" would mean manufactured and assembled in America.
Not all the parts would necessarily be made in America. For that you would have "Made in America from parts MIA"
If it says "Made in Mexico" it probably means same parts (perhaps inferior/ perhaps not) assembled in Mexico (cheaper labor and perhaps 'looser' quality control).
Then there's "Designed in America" which probably means "Made in Indonesia from parts made in China"

Joelski144

TDPRI Member
That terminology is highly subjective. Some consider overseas parts assembled here "Made" in America (and it should be printed that way; caveat emptor). It's still a matter of pride for some companies and those businesses go the extra measure of informing you that their product is "100% Made in America", or made and crafted in America. Really, about the only sure way to ensure that anything is MIA, your best bet is to source the parts and assemble it yourself.

Asmith

Friend of Leo's
I'm sure it's a grey area. If every part is made elsewhere then if consider it assembled in America but I doubt fender is using all American made parts but obviously the body, neck, and electronics are USA but I doubt anything else is.

Digiplay

Tele-Afflicted

"What is the standard for a product to be called Made in USA without qualification?
For a product to be called Made in USA, or claimed to be of domestic origin without qualifications or limits on the claim, the product must be "all or virtually all" made in the U.S."

I like the "or virtually all" part medownsouth :)

G.Rotten

Friend of Leo's
made in america? or made in the USA?
It really should be "Made in the USA".

America is a continent (not a country) on which Canada and Mexico also reside.

world_map.jpg

So products made in Canada or Mexico are also made in America.

When it comes to guitars it's not likely all parts are made in in the same country.

I suppose if the main components are made in the same country it's assembled in then I guess as close as we're going to get.

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
CTS pots are made in Asia, and have been for a long time. I don't believe there are any US manufacturers of tuners that are a Fender style. Those are both obstacles to being 100% made in the USA.

Not sure if Fender is still making bridges, control plates, and neck plates in the US. The Ensenada factory was supposedly making all the hardware for the MIM guitars, except the tuners and pots.

medownsouth

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
"What is the standard for a product to be called Made in USA without qualification?
For a product to be called Made in USA, or claimed to be of domestic origin without qualifications or limits on the claim, the product must be "all or virtually all" made in the U.S."

I like the "or virtually all" part medownsouth :)
clear as mud innit :)

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
It really should be "Made in the USA".

America is a continent (not a country) on which Canada and Mexico also reside.

In this context, "America" is shorthand for "The United States of America." 100% of the time. "America" is never shorthand for North America. Neither Canadians or Mexicans would ever refer to their products as "Made in America." No one from overseas would ever say "I'm traveling to America" when going to Canada.

No Central or South American company would refer to their products as "Made in America," either.