Playing with friends

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Freejack, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

I have three coworkers that I've convinced to take their curiosity to the next level and take guitar lessons. All three already had acoustics sitting in a closet gathering dust, same as me two years ago. Last year I convinced one (Lori) to start lessons with my instructor. I sold her my old Fender acoustic in part because I wanted a backpacking guitar (she had an Esteban acoustic which she since gave to her sister). A couple of months ago, another (Kevin) started and a couple of weeks into it, he and I went out on a craigslist buy for a Fender Strat. My other coworker (Justin) started classes a few weeks ago and a week or so ago bought a PRS SE. Both are going to my instructor. Plus they're buying gear from the shop (as am I).

My old manager (Jeff) plays a Taylor electric acoustic. He pinged me on Facebook last week and I invited him over to jam. When he agreed, I also pinged my three coworkers.

Saturday Jeff dropped in at 9am and we chatted a bit partially waiting on the others. At 10, Kevin and Justin arrived. Lori bailed though.

Jeff had a selection of chord (fingerpicking) songs he played and sang to. I had my campfire selection (a bunch of easy chords, a shorter list of songs with an F chord, another list with one barre and a fourth with two barres).

We had no idea what to do. :) Jeff did well with his fingerpicking and singing. I joined in with just chords and strumming or occasionally playing the blues box. We got Kevin slowly following along and doing well.

Both Kevin and I went to our instructor wanting to learn to improvise. So we were able to jump in with Jeff easier than Justin. Justin had some specific songs he wanted to really learn so the emphasis from our instructor was more on learning techniques that were used in the songs.

We listened to Justin and Jeff tracked down the chords so Justin played the solo as best as he could and Jeff played chords.

At the end, Jeff was playing Peaceful Easy Feeling with me on Bass providing the bass line. That was very cool, learning when to play and when to shift when he shifted.

The other thing I picked up again was the shapes and that there are different positions for the same chord. I'd tried PEF before and could play it, but Jeff showed me that the B chord can be played in the same shape as the A chord two frets down. So E, A, shift A down two frets and B. It again shows me that I can see "B" and the B chord and compare it to the adjacent chords being played to find the easy chord change pattern.

Jeff and I both look forward to doing that again. I'll hear from Kevin and Justin tomorrow to see what they think.

Carl

2. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

Got some pictures up finally.

[​IMG]

Jeff

[​IMG]

Kevin

[​IMG]

Justin

[​IMG]

Group shot

[​IMG]

And I stopped by a local shop (Larry's for the folks in the area) and bought an inexpensive mandolin to play with.

Carl

3. Dr Zombie

Dr Zombie TDPRI Member

Alriiiight! Rock on, guys!!

4. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

That's what music is about. In my mind at least.

5. bendecaster

bendecaster Friend of Leo's

Ain't that just a blast? You guy looked like you were having a great time!

6. Guitharley

Guitharley Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Right on fellas
    Its in ya and its gotta come out...boogy woogy

7. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Awright!! That's way cool Freejack! That's what it's all about - friends, music, having fun. Music is good for the soul, we all know that. Good on you for letting some of it out!

8. adamkavanagh

adamkavanagh Tele-Holic

Looks like a blast!

9. daveandshelle

daveandshelle Tele-Afflicted

That sounds fun..I do the band..hire my sorry behind out and all the other stuff is "playing with myself " he he he.. Funny thing just before I read this I was thinking of calling a bunch of friend band guys and thowing together a christmas type jam at my place so we can all have a few and do some playing..most if not all of us are sans booze while playing so having a few pops and telling some lies and playing might be fun.. Glad you had a good time..

10. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

Hey I've been in that room before. Glad your sticking with it Carl.

11. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

Oh I'm having a grand time. I've picked up a few new toys since last year partially due to last year.

[​IMG]

The PA system is my most recent purchase :) I'm really trying to explore a bunch of different aspects of playing including different instruments. I've picked up the bass pretty well. As you can see, I snagged a cheap Mandolin, partly because of ancestral inspiration along with a handful of books to try my hand and I'm poking away at the piano.

It's like I had all this inside me just waiting for the right inspiration to manifest. :)

At the moment, I'm working on a Christmas song and will post it once I get a good run through.

Carl

12. Thighbanez

Thighbanez Tele-Afflicted

Must be nice.
    I've got 4 co-workers that all play guitar outside of work and none of them ever play.
    Darn antisocial computer geeks...:p

13. DrumBob

DrumBob -------------------------

Playing music with people is a great learning tool and fun at the same time.

14. adamkavanagh

adamkavanagh Tele-Holic

damn, I'd love a space like that

15. TeleDrifter

TeleDrifter Tele-Afflicted

Very nice all around...

16. Slickster

Slickster Tele-Holic

looks like fun ... I do the same with some friends.

We use a boss loop pedal to throw a drum beat into the PA. It keeps the energy up and everyone on the same page.

17. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

I have a line-6 looper. I didn't tie it in though but let it play through the Fender.

Carl

18. Stringbender11

Stringbender11 Tele-Meister

I wish i could join you guys. That's cool you've been able to put together some people like that to play, it's easier said than done.

19. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

I was just talking to another guy at work. He's been playing for a while and has been idle for a bit. He's interested in coming out to jam. One of the guys on my team plays drums and wants to learn bass. He's interested in coming out. Same with a guy over on the dev team WRT drums.

Check the guys where you work? They're coming out of the woodwork here :D (two other ladies popped up who play as well. I may have a full basement before I get done here.)

Carl

20. Thighbanez

Thighbanez Tele-Afflicted

delete post
    I give up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.