Playing with A Thumb Pick Or BumbleBee Pick

dcupright

TDPRI Member
I have been expermenting with playing with a thumb pick and a Fred Kelly Bumble Bee pick. I have been playing pedal steel with thumb pick and metal fingerpicks for the last 3 years and would like to make the switch to electric guitar, Can anyone recommend some exercises or course to help make the switch? I mostly am interested in country hybrid picking type stuff but open to anything that helps!

WireLine

Tele-Afflicted
I’ve been using the Kelly Slick Pick for some time now, easiest chicken picking I’ve ever done. The pick is merely a short extension of my thumb.

I’d tried Herco, Dunlop, few other picks, but they never felt natural.

As for how to get used to them: they either feel right the first moment or they don’t. Spend some years not using a pick at all.

dcupright

TDPRI Member
I’ve been using the Kelly Slick Pick for some time now, easiest chicken picking I’ve ever done.
Thanks Wireline, that is the pick I use on pedal steel and like it better than anything I have tried! I guess maybe my question is what to do when you need to flatpick 1/8 notes. The hybrid stuff feels much more natural using thumb pick.

I have been using a flatpick for a long time and so far have not found a solution which is why I bought the bumblebee pick. I made the decision a couple days ago to only use it for a while and see if I can sort out the flat pick type lines.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
I most often use one of these two, a Geipel banjo thumbpick or a Dunlop style thumbpick I trimmed into a shape I like.

20220530_140030.jpg

SPUDCASTER

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
+1 on the slick pick. Comes in several different thicknesses.

One of the best hybrid pickers is James Burton. I believe he uses a flat pick and a metal finger pick on his middle finger. Not sure on the ring finger.

I do some Reed things that I can only do with a thumb pick. and some things with a flat pick. Depends on the song.

UpstateDon

TDPRI Member
I play pedal steel, though I started on guitar. I'm a big fan of fred kelly picks. I use the slick pick on pedal steel and used to on the guitar. About a year and a half ago, I switched exclusively to the bumble bee. I think it flat picks very well..about 90% as well as a regular flatpick, once you get used to it.

For exercises, I would just practice some alternate picking with the bumble bee..scales and whatnot. You'll adjust. Other exercises...I would just keep playing. It can be a bit tricky sometimes bouncing back and forth between steel and guitar, because of the wildly different string spacings..but you'll adjust. I've often found that my steel playing highly informs my guitar style, in that I'm very chord/double stop based. I just started studying jazz, so I'm kinda unlearning some things, and learning so more proper finger/scale positions. That might be worthwhile too.

Le Jab

Tele-Meister
I flirt between Herco Heavy and a Bumblebee for the thumb. Seems like I play one brand for a few months, then try the other and much prefer it!