1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Playing while injured, let’s hear your tales.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by soul-o, Oct 16, 2020.

1. soul-o

soul-o Friend of Leo's

I had a dental skin graft thing today which turned out to be a much more painful procedure than I could have imagined and leaves me with a mouthful of stitches and a throbbing ache the night before a 6 hour wedding gig tomorrow morning. I would be distraught if I haven’t played so many gigs in much more pain over the years.

I once did a gig in Toronto 14 hours after a surgery to remove a kidney stone in Boston. You can imagine where they went in to get it. It involved me convincing a nurse to remove a catheter and being loaded into the van like a piece of gear and coming to on stage at the El Mocambo with my bass around my neck. I am told we played a blinder.

C’mon, then. Let’s hear your tales of glory. We’ve all puked off the back of the stage and kept playing over the years, but let’’s hear you stories of gigs when you really shouldn’t have been anywhere but home in bed.

YYZman, elihu and srblue5 like this.
  2. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Meister

A couple decades ago, I worked as a field archaeologist and the soil would dry out my hands. Eventually, my calluses split. I tried to gig like that but the strings would slip into the splits in my skin and I'd bleed all over the guitar. More for your entertainment dollar...

soul-o, Lake Placid Blue and uriah1 like this.
  3. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

In the Summer of '85, I did a stupid and cut across the backs of the Middle and Index fingers on my Left Hand a day before a gig.
    I played two five hour nights with Four Stiches.
    That Hurt!

They got better but, I still have the Scars.

Don't do stupid things with Utility Knives.

soul-o likes this.
  4. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

Years ago, I accidentally cut my left hand with a steak knife. It was stitched up and bandaged such that I couldn't grip a guitar neck for weeks. Oddly enough, drumsticks were no problem so I still got my music making in and made a little progress there.

5. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

Tagged my left index finger tip with a framing nailer. Had to play a wedding a week later, so I had to learn to play with only fingers 2-4.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    soul-o likes this.
  6. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

20201003_160559.jpg

welp, I've gotta be more careful when splitting firewood...

Now, three weeks later, the top edge @ separation is closing, but still numb.

soul-o and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  7. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted

In ‘93 I had a “scar revision” surgery from an older surgery from my pelvis to my breast bone where the cut out the old scar, removed some old permanent stitches, and sew you back together. The surgery was on a Wednesday and I played and sang on Friday and Saturday.

Playing a gig tomorrow night just 2 weeks after surgery on my right shoulder.

soul-o and Deeve like this.
  8. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

I wasn't in a band, but my best friend from High School and I jammed a LOT, always on the lookout for bass players and drummers to finally put together something. The day before I was to come over and play I did something stupid on my skateboard. Whatever I did, I landed on my left hand and it HURT. Doctor the next day told me I had torqued my third metacarpal and it had split in a spiral pattern. I couldn't play for a month with a cast on my hand, but I did get pretty good at slide á la Jeff Healey.

soul-o and Deeve like this.
  9. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I cut the tips of my left fingers off in 1991 on my race bike (RZ350 Yamaha), since i play lefty it had little effect on my playing, I play just as poorly after the injury... 1017200054.jpg

soul-o likes this.
  10. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I was in a country band I think around 92’ or so and we were playing at place that had a half-rounded stage and they wanted us to start playing after the dj introduced us and then open the curtain.... stooopid. The song was a dorky Diamond Rio song called Oh Me,Oh My Sweet Baby and it started with a guitar riff. Our name was the cue and the DJ is winding up the pitch for the idiotic dramatic introduction when I dropped my pick and watched bounce out the curtain, so I quickly, with great force, shoved my hand into my front pocket to get another and my middle finger finds a loop of thread that nearly peels my fingernail up. Came up with no pick and heard our name...I started the riff finger picking it... well the injury was fresh and we are into the song when I notice a girl looking at me in horrified disgust and this time, not the normal horrified disgust. I look down at my bright white pick guard and it looks like somebody is slaughtering a pig on it. Now the pain hit!
    I turned around to put my back as much as possible to minimize the spectacle and the drummer sees it and yells “holy $h!7!!” into the mic he was harmonizing on... good times...

elihu likes this.
  11. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

11 years ago

11B4EFA0-8C90-4E25-89C5-E0477EF20C93.jpeg

soul-o and 4pickupguy like this.
  12. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Afflicted

I had an upright piano dropped on my picking hand, no really! Back in the mid 70's.

I was just a punk high school kid and we were lifting a piano onto the stage in the gymnasium
    There were about 10 of us and I was near the last end to go on the stage.
    As we got most of it onto the stage, I was at the back corner, and as it rolled onto the stage, I stumbled and put my hand out to stop self from falling.
    My hand ended up on the stage right under where the tiny little steel caster on the piano landed.
    Right on my middle finger knuckle.
    It rolled right off my hand and left a nasty cut and bruise.
    Later that night our band was playing a school dance in that same gym and I had to play with the injury.
    If it had been my left fingering hand I don't think I could have done it.

13. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I played, backing for a fairly famous lady singer, who now runs an vocal agency; after that my brother and I played Eagles songs. Got through a couple, finished Tequila Sunrise ( complete with the two string Spanish sounding solo) and then went down with a totally dislocated right knee. Three girls fainted at the sight as it was like a badly broken leg.
    Fortunately our hospital system was good then ( still is) and I got help and free physiotherapy three times a week.
    Went back to running, surfing, swimming and tennis. Very good medical care here in Oz.
    I thank those physiotherapists who did such a good rehab job for me.

14. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I once played and outdoor gig having pneumonia. Drove myself to the hospital the next day. Stupid, but I didn’t let my band down.

soul-o likes this.
  15. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

It was 3 days before a big outdoor gig in 1986. 8,000 people or so. I was building an effects box for the other guitar player in the band when the hand drill slipped and I drove the bit through tip of my middle finger.

Bleeding all over the place, I managed to finish the effects box and began tending to my wound. I looked down at the collection of magazines in the bathroom and saw one featuring Jimmy Page. He told a story of having broken his middle finger in a train door while on tour. He went on to say that he re-learned all the songs with his remaining 3 fingers and the show went on!

That's what I did. I re-learned all of our original music over the next 3 days and went on to give the "personality finger" to the crowd with my bandaged finger, and all in attendance thought this was pretty cool. The show must go on!

To this day I have scar tissue that really hurts when I hit the tip wrong. A constant reminder!
    Greed 1 smalll.jpg

16. Buckaroo65

Buckaroo65 Tele-Meister

Fell off a dark stage and split my left kneecap into two pieces. Finished the gig.

17. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This is like the playing while injured Hall of Fame. I was at a Thursday night rehearsal and had a weird feeling. You know, the kind where you think "I've never had this feeling before but I think I don't like it." It was a stirring in my middle to low back, just a dull ache. It went from a dull ache to an all-hands-on-deck spasming pain. I finished the rehearsal with a stoic expression (I guess I should play bass). As the night wore on it turns out I was giving birth - to a kidney stone. For those of you who have not done it, it involves forcing a sharp crystalline object down a tube that was only meant to carry liquids. A tube somehow full of nerves. The stone is larger than the tube. This causes pain. The object does not move quickly, seemingly it doesn't move at all. I completed a night of writhing, moaning, whining, Lamaze breathing and at the end I was the proud papa of a chunk of mineral. So not worth it, but once you are in, you are all-in. I completed the gig later that week but I was wrung out and probably played poorly. Not looking forward to ever having another one.

edvard likes this.
  18. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My junior year of high school we had a graduation gig to play for the Senior party. I spent the day working on my hot rod and like a dumb Sh*T tack welded some exhaust stuff under the car without a hood. (couldnt get under the car and move with it on) I would close my eyes just before the flash. Well... that didn't work and I had eye burns. I looked like I was crying all night and my eye pain was terrible all night. Got 'er done though! 'The show must go on!"

19. PARCO

PARCO Tele-Meister

I once accidentally put my hand through a window and badly cut the index finger of my left hand. I had a gig the next day and I couldn't use my index finger to make chords. It was an interesting night. I had healed enough by the next week to play OK but it took about 4 weeks for it to really be OK. These days if I finger a string in just the right way I still get a zinger that goes up my arm.

20. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dropped a beam on my foot and broke a toe the day before playing a motorcycle club summer fest. It wouldn't have been so bad, but we had a flatbed trailer as a stage, and there was this one guy who spent the whole time circling around, chewing-up the field on a beaten-up old Russian army Ural sidecar bike. Often as he swung before the stage he would skid sideways and bash the front, setting all the amps wobbling, splatter mud up at us, and throw my balance, causing shooting pains to come from the broken toe as I tried to remain upright. It was after this that I first realized it was more than just a bruised toe, but actually broken.

I have also crushed and broken, on separate occasions, the last bone of two fingers on my left hand. The pointing finger I did as a kid, and besides being a bit insensitive is not a hassle, but the ring finger I crushed under a steel gate (got some good photos if you are into gore), and this was a problem. When i could play guitar again, I realized that the finger wasn't landing on the fingerboard where it should be - my chord shapes where out, and the finger in question was landing way to high, even though it felt right, so I had to keep looking at my grip to line things up. It took over a year before the finger flex and brain coordination could sync-up to automatically grip clean chords again.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.