Playing through a two-amp setup

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by heshan, Jan 17, 2018.

1. heshan

heshan Tele-Meister

So I gave it a try today! Plugged both amps into a power strip (pedalboard went into another wall socket), signal went out from my TC Flashback stereo outputs into my AC15 and Micro Terror, and...No noise! No phase issues! Haha

It sounded pretty damn great, even though it was at bedroom levels. I really didn't expect it to work that easily. The power strip I used was a Tripp Lite Isobar surge protector, but I don't think that helped more than a power strip would have.

My only question now is...can I count on this to behave the same in the future? I'm guessing it should behave the same the next time I play in the same bedroom, but if I take it out somewhere, it could possible behave differently? And how about phase issues, will these two amps play in phase all the time, or could this change too?

Thanks again for all the help!

JustABluesGuy and thefruitfarmer like this.
  2. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

You should be good to go... But the only way to be sure is to play like that every day.

heshan likes this.
  3. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

All of the equipment should be plugged into the same AC circuit (can be from different outlets, just same circuit). Why not plug the pedalboard into the power strip to ensure everything is on same circuit?

heshan likes this.
  4. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah but you still miss the bigger point, swtiching between amps.

heshan likes this.
  5. heshan

heshan Tele-Meister

Oh absolutely, I'll be buying an A/BY box soon - as soon as I have money to spare! Haha. But for the moment I'm thrilled that this rig worked out as easily as it did.

@sax4blues I will do that, my current power strip has only two sockets haha, so when I get a new one, everything will be plugged into one power strip

I don't really gig at the moment but I'm wondering if it would work out the same if I tried this at another venue. Anyway, for now I'm pretty happy :D

JustABluesGuy and thefruitfarmer like this.
  6. heshan

heshan Tele-Meister

Hey again, I just noticed something and thought I'd ask you guys to clarify

The power strip that I was using was a surge protection box from Tripp Lite. It's called an Isobar. I have the two-outlet box, and I just noticed it says "Isolated Filter Bank" on the front, above the outlets. Does these mean that these two outlets are electrically isolated, and that's why I was not having ground hum when I hooked up my two amps to each outlet?

I would have understood it if it said that each outlet was isolated, but I'm not sure what an "isolated filter bank" is.

And if you don't read through the entire thread, I was originally asking about playing a two-amp setup using my delay pedal's stereo outs, and following advice here, I connected my two (grounded) amps to a power strip (the Tripp Lite Isobar) and it worked perfectly

This is the device: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000510Z9/?tag=tdpri-20

Thanks!

7. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

I used to run through a pair of little 1 x 10 Valco tube amps in one band I was in, and I started off splitting the signal with an old Yamaha GEP-5 effects processor with a stereo reverb patch selected. Eventually I ended up with a little half-rackspace Boss digital reverb unit that I screwed some amp feet onto so it could straddle the handle on top of one of the Valcos. The Boss had pretty boingy-sounding reverb but I only used a tiny bit of it, and I liked the Boss best overall because you could set it above unity gain and slap the signal into the amps a little harder to make things a little more lively.

I had three-prong plugs on both Valcos but made sure they were always plugged into the same outlet, or at least the same circuit, if I didn't have a power strip with me. I never had a problem with shocks or noise.

heshan likes this.
  8. heshan

heshan Tele-Meister

Thanks @mexicanyella. Yeah it worked like that for me too, both three-prong plugs plugged into my power strip. No sound (or shocks!)

But I just want to know what exactly this Isobar device does with its isolated filter bank. Does it electrically isolate the two outlets, is that a reason why my rig was noise free?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.