Playing songs note for note vs. just getting rhythym/feel/chords

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by wtk0315, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Don Miller

Don Miller Tele-Afflicted

Check out the Will Ray minor key version....you don't have to play the JC/Luther Perkins solo note for note....

2. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's

I disagree. I love it when you go to a concert and the solo/song goes somewhere else. Nobody wanted to hear Jak Wylde do a Randy Rhoads solo. I saw Adrian Belew do a most excellent version of Fame and many other songs with David Bowie. He put his own mark on classic tunes. With the Who or Zeppelin, I would be disappointed hearing a cover version of they're own songs. That's the excitement, and what makes a concert special.

Dennyf and Dismalhead like this.
  3. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The songs I like to hear being played are the songs I love and generally know every little nuance of and they are usually more complicated songs to play, I can overlook changes made by top level bands with a voice of their own but unless you are in a band like that don't kid yourself that replacing a well know and loved songs lead with another variation of the basic pentatonic scale during your free form interpretation of the song won't go unnoticed and more than likely be unappreciated unless it's a very tasty sounding alternative.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    Jim622 likes this.
  4. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's

I agree, but there are no songs I can think of that have the desire to learn note for note. That belongs to that guitarist. I think that's why I enjoy originals or blues. People seem more welcome to a band making they're own interpretation, some (I included) encourage it. Live music, in any venue, including alone in your living room should be its own event. I seek out original music and avoid cover bands.

Now don't get me wrong, some great musicians truly enjoy being in cover and tribute bands. More power to them. No judgment. In the service, I took a Myers Briggs test. It made me understand why if I'm going to play music, I feel it somehow has to be at least partly my take on it and also why I feel the way I do about many other things. That test was spooky accurate. Before that, I thought I had a problem. Some may still argue that.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    Chunkocaster likes this.
  5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

When an artist (versus "just a cover band") does a cover, I expect something more than "just a cover". It's disappointing when it doesn't go anywhere new.

This I like!

Jim622 likes this.
  6. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Thats funny ! I'm pretty certain that seeing Hendrix never had anything to with whether or not he played note for note solos' . HE was Hendrix. He was playing HIS songs.

WE ARE NOT HENDRIX.

This so called argument about note for note vs doing your own thing fairly often. There is no right or wrong. But there is a right place and a right time.

If we are playing very "identifiable covers" with very identifiable guitar hooks, then we play them, or we are not playing the song. OR maybe we didn't take the time to learn them.

Where I come from, I learn the hooks, the pads, some fills ( lots to learn there) solos etc... IF the song calls for straight ahead cover , I play them , otherwise I will adlib over the changes.
    Both variances are available.

In the bands I play with and fill with, I am expected to know the identity phrases. Thats the world I live in.

Quite frankly, opposite of what some say way above, when I go see bands play , I find it quite boring to hear some players just ripping pentatonic licks on songs instead of the very well known and identifiable guitar phrases that belong in the songs.

But heck, thats just me.

Chunkocaster, codamedia and Jim622 like this.
  7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Then there are those times when everyone does a note perfect solo and then some guy wearing a hat and a cheap Tele copy wanders onto stage and improvises....

8. Miguel-martinez

Miguel-martinez TDPRI Member

I like to add something to the songs, if I go far i actually feel better about it, for me there is no need to play a song note by note because you are not adding something "to the conversation"

Random1643, Jim622 and Flaneur like this.
  9. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Pretty much anything Neil Schon played on the "Escape" album.

codamedia likes this.
  10. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

It may have been an ad lib solo in the studio that becomes an iconic part of the song.

I restate myself from above: along with an ad lib solo do you want ad lib vocals, bass line, drums, rhythm chords? Doesn't everyone else get to add something to the "conversation"?

11. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

The way I like to play, I try to get the hooks as close to note for note as I can, the rest I kinda like to make my own. So I have the framework in my head that I want to use, then I just kinda go where it takes me. I like to put a little of myself into it. I used to learn songs note for note, but as I got older, I realized that I don't really want to be the artist who recorded the tune. I keep the hooks that made it what it is, but like put my own spin on the rest...not too many seem to complain, LOL!

Jim622 likes this.
  12. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

I play this up to 4 times a week...and it’s really easy to make the solo your own by bending into notes instead of straight up.

13. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

I didn't expect him to throw a really good Telecaster like that. Way way way too much ego on display.

trancedental likes this.
  14. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Meister

As Oscar Wilde said, "Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

suthol and Random1643 like this.
  15. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

I was thinking that myself... but with all the Journey haters out their I avoided making the suggestion :oops:
    I would also suggest that "almost any" CARS tune without the Elliot Easton solo would be a shame.

16. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

here is the thing. do you not learn the song note for note because: A) You can't. You lack the ability to do it. B) You don't want to because it would make you feel stifled or ruined by knowing how the recording was done C) You are lazy and just don't want to put the work to it.

You only answer to yourself on this: If it is A, then I'd suggest pick an easy song and go do it so that you can see it is not that difficult AND you will improve by doing it to your favorite songs. B, we forget fast, but knowing things often changes our experience and way of thinking to the positive... it is only when, in the process of B, you discover A, then, that can bum a guy out. if it C well... that laziness is probably interrupting lots of your goals.. maybe let the laziness go.

P Thought likes this.
  17. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted

Yellow Ledbetter is more a style than anything. It’s very Hendrixy. The solo is rather simplistic too, all pentatonic.

I’d rather riff than play note for note too. Shine on you crazy diamond is kind of my song.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

David Gilmour has stated that he'll do several takes of a solo, and then listen to all of them, picking out the best parts of each. Then he will assemble those into one solo, which he plays for the final recording.

Flat6Driver likes this.
  19. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

This sounds familiar!

20. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

Since Hendrix and Dylan have come up in this thread, and to its point:

Did Hendrix do a note-for-note rendition when he covered "All Along the Watchtower?"

And to the same point, Did CCR n-for-n Al Green's "Heard it Through the Grapevine?" How about the Talking Heads on Marvin Gaye's "Take Me to the River?" Jeff Beck on Charles Mingus' "Goodbye Porkpie Hat?"

They all (apparently) liked tunes enough to cover them. But they all did them their own way.

I'm not saying you have to, or you should. Heck, after putting in the effort to learn a part exactly, sometimes I wanna show that off too. But you shouldn't feel obliged to do so.

Jim622 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.