Playing songs from your youth

Gene O.

Tele-Afflicted
My band was hired to play a 50 year class reunion in August by a friend of ours. He asked me for our song list, which he distributed to all those attending (or maybe just the committee members) and they voted on their favorites. But after a few of them came out to hear us last Friday he said "Just play whatever you want. You guys are great and they'll love it". But he still had one special request, and that was to play something by Ted Nugent because The Nuge played at their senior prom after party... and he specifically requested this song:

This song came out in 1968, just about the time I started playing lead guitar in a band and I was totally amazed at what I was hearing played on a guitar. I never had a chance to play it in any band I was in until now, 54 years later. Fortunately we have a 31 year old 2nd guitarist that has a fast strumming had and the stamina to play that strumming pattern in the instrumental interlude. I'm looking forward to playing it. Who knows, maybe we'll continue playing it at some gigs.

Fenderdad1950

Friend of Leo's
Both of these songs I remember very clearly. Nugent's switchover in band mates stayed fairly close in music genre. Now Kenny Rodgers switch was a real thinker. Only a hallucinogenic fueled guy who didn't know what his condition was in, could have sung 'What Condition' they way he sang it. And then ..... 'Hello country music.' 😱

JimmyDaFish

NEW MEMBER!
My band was hired to play a 50 year class reunion in August by a friend of ours. He asked me for our song list, which he distributed to all those attending (or maybe just the committee members) and they voted on their favorites. But after a few of them came out to hear us last Friday he said "Just play whatever you want. You guys are great and they'll love it". But he still had one special request, and that was to play something by Ted Nugent because The Nuge played at their senior prom after party... and he specifically requested this song:

This song came out in 1968, just about the time I started playing lead guitar in a band and I was totally amazed at what I was hearing played on a guitar. I never had a chance to play it in any band I was in until now, 54 years later. Fortunately we have a 31 year old 2nd guitarist that has a fast strumming had and the stamina to play that strumming pattern in the instrumental interlude. I'm looking forward to playing it. Who knows, maybe we'll continue playing it at some gigs.

Not that this is relevant but I was very fortunate to be at Harpos music theatre in the Detroit area with a date at a fairly large table. We were enjoying Blue Oyster Cult when a group of guys asked to share our table. I over heard them talking about mics going dead on stage, Japan tour, etc. So naturally I asked "you guys a band, I presume?" The one fellow dressed in the leathers replied "yes". Then he says "we are the Amboy Dukes". Very cool night. They stayed most of the night much to pleasure.