1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Playing ska/ reggae on Jim Root Tele

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by cockbloctopus, Mar 17, 2017.

1. cockbloctopus

cockbloctopus NEW MEMBER!

I am being gifted a Squire Jim Root tele, and I want to be able to get some clean bright tones for traditional ska, while also being able to play ska-punk, metal, surf, etc. I am not much of a gear head and don't totally understand how humbuckers versus single coil pickups will effect my tone, so I kind of need it spelled out for me when it comes to equipment. Ska, ska-punk, and reggae are my go to genres. What can I do to get those cleaner tones? I was thinking a push pull volume pot to split the humbuckers into single coils would be the way to go, but should I do that on the neck pup, bridge, both? How would you modify it to do what I am trying to do?

shupe13 likes this.
  2. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

That's a great looking guitar for ska.
    From a quick google the Fender version has EMGs whilst the Squier has some pretty standard humbuckers. These (plus the mahogany body) won't be as bright/twangy as a more traditional tele set up but they don't seem to be super high output humbuckers either so I don't see why they can't work for what you want - plenty of ska, reggae, ska punk played on guitars with humbuckers.
    A humbuckers with a coil split won't sound exactly like a tele single coil anyway- almost invariably they sound aneamic.
    I'd live with it for a while, tweak your pedals and amp and see how you get on. This guy has his in a pretty heavy metal set up yet still has good clean tones:

3. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Holic

In my opinion the Jim Root is about as far from traditional Tele tones as is possible. Not to say you can't get the sound you are looking for, but you will have to do a bit of work to get close to it. If it were me, I would go play some Tele's with single coils at a store. If that is the sound you hear in your head, your best bet would be to sell the JR to someone who needs the tones it makes, and get a standard SC Tele and be done with it. The mods it would take to turn that JR into a SC with a vintage bridge might be more than you are willing to do/spend.

Just my .02

4. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

I used to use a Jackson V in a ska/punk band a-la Operation Ivy (with maybe a bit more trad ska mixed in) and it was actually my favorite guitar for the music. I had a tele, strat, and LP at the time, and the best one for the sound, feel, attack, was the V.

I say Root it up.

Also, the push-pull can be an effective tool, but I found it more irritating over time, and less advantageous. A pedal or two (compressor, delay) can make a bigger difference, and a better one too.

Mr. Lumbergh likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.