Playing Powerslave Album - 2. 2 Minutes to midnight

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by oriolmusic, Oct 17, 2019.

1. oriolmusic

oriolmusic TDPRI Member

Second installment of my challenge to play the full Powerslave album. Today one of the most mythical themes of the album 2 Minutes to midnight !!

triviani, Blazer and Chunkocaster like this.
  2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

We used to play it in my first band back when it came out. The bass player was a huge Maiden fan. It was a fun song to play on guitar. I haven't played it since then but will get into it using this video to refresh my memory. Its a cool song.

3. oriolmusic

oriolmusic TDPRI Member

OOH YEAH

4. Euphonica

Euphonica Tele-Meister

I attended Dave Murray’s wedding in Hawaii at Haiku Gardens, right after Powerslave came out. I hadn’t been exposed to them at that point, even though I was technically a teenager. Got Dave to sign the LP, and he also gave me a “Piece of Mind” metal t shirt - the kind with the half sleeves. He sat down with my dad because he was interested in slack key, and my dad had taken lessons from Auntie Alice!

That’s all, just an OT aside heh heh.

Chunkocaster, triviani and blueruins like this.
  5. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

LOVE Maiden, they were the band which introduced Metal to my young impressionable kid self back during the eighties.

Do you know the story of "Mission from 'Arry" the B-side to "2 Minutes?"

Scope this, the band is doing a show and Steve Harris' bass amp started to cut out, so to win time while a back up was hooked up and plugged in it was decided that drummer Nicko McBrain should extend his drum solo a bit. So the nearest guy Steve could find was told to go and get Nicko's attention.

But he made the mistake of doing so while Nicko was doing his solo by tapping him on his shoulder, twice and Nicko can't stop to talk to him, so he ignored him and got more angry as the solo went on until exploding with a very loud expletive and the audience going wild.

So after the show Nicko cornered the guy and gave him a verbal bashing and Steve came over to explain what was going on, resulting into an argument which singer Bruce Dickinson overheard and candidly recorded using a little walkman. So Bruce mixes himself into the argument telling Nicko "Say Nick, what if something was going to happen and the lighting truss was going to fall down on your head?" with the argument going increasingly hilarious.

Until Steve found the recorder and went "Some C*^1 recorded this!" and Nicko was so enraged that he wanted to smash the tape but Bruce got it to safety, telling him that the tape contained the first draft of a new song he was working on named "Powerslave"

Some time later, the band is in the studio doing tracking for what would become the "Powerslave" album and Steve and Nicko inquire about the tape, Bruce brought it to the studio, they played it over the speakers and couldn't stop laughing at which Steve Reckoned that it would made a good B-side.

oriolmusic likes this.
  6. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted

I too was introduced to hard metal with Maiden. Live after Death. I wore out 2 cassette tapes. I got to see them on the Afraid of the Dark tour. It was Bruce’s last show with them for a long time, they had to postpone the show because of some throat issues, Bruce later “retired”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

triviani likes this.
  7. triviani

triviani Tele-Meister

Yes, these Live After Death cassettes! Mine were counterfeit, with b&w photocopied covers.

8. oriolmusic

oriolmusic TDPRI Member

Uau!! Interesting history! I didn't know about it!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.