playing in the wrong key and weird thoughts!

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Ridge runner, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Ridge runner

Ridge runner Banned

Just sitting here jamming a G Natural minor scale patterns over a Cminor chord and ala dorian mode and sticking in other ill fitting stuff..locrain Really dig that raised 4th! Taking it outside then hurry back in..or sometimes running chromatic patterns just to drive the ol lady crazy! That's NOT MUSIC she screams!! yup just bored playing in the wrong key deliberately.. What I was wondering if there were any kindred spirits out there? Tell you something funny I heard this old band called "Half Japanese" man their stuff will kill small animals 50 feet away!! yet some of their stuff alright,but in their mind they think there really Boss..
    so horrible it's actually hysterical! later

2. JimmyJam

JimmyJam Tele-Afflicted

That sounds weird indeed

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  3. Ridge runner

Ridge runner Banned

well it's kind of like thinking out of the box..ya know play with different tunings,setting the echo long repeats,taking a quarter or a dime and rubbing it on the strings creating different soundscapes, I mean I did the old blues scales,sweep pick harmonic minor dim 7 scales but it get's old..it all get's old after a while so you invent stuff just to keep it interesting..

4. Ridge runner

Ridge runner Banned

but by doing all that weird crap you sometimes stumble onto something cool that you probably wouldn't never of thought of..Like for instance I really like how lenny breau would do his harmonics jaw dropping!!

5. Breen

Breen Friend of Leo's

Its called jazz sometimes :D

I do it tonnes. Gets me in trouble too. How I wish I could make it sound as good as Allan Holdsworth.

6. axeornot

axeornot Tele-Meister

+1

7. SunKing1

SunKing1 TDPRI Member

You should check out Wilco's "Impossible Germany" (there's a YouTube vid dubbed Lowlands 2009) ... the guitar solo is plainly crazy and it often pushes the edges of the box... Hope you dig it!

8. Ridge runner

Ridge runner Banned

ok..let's check it out..hmm.nice tone nice playing kind of reminds me just a little bit of "smoke rings in the dark" by Garry Allen which is a beautiful song. cool solo too.with a tinge of jazz..funny thing about those jazz chords more often than not I've found that they are quite bland sounding but move em a round a bit and you can go from ho hum to HOT DAMN!!

9. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Some early-20th century composers used this technique sometimes. Charles Ives, Stravinsky, Bartok, Milhaud.

10. Ridge runner

Ridge runner Banned

in the opening thread I said Raised 4th Locrian but I meant Lydian..cool Larry I'll check those guys out..You know "Flight of the bumble bee" by Nikolai Rimsky is just genuis..or he was high on something!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.