Playing in a Trio

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Paul in Colorado, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Theslack5

Theslack5 Tele-Meister

I prefer playing in a trio, although there are times I wish there was another part going on especially as when we record I tend to overdub like mad on lead and synths.
    I have made peace with the fact that live we are more raw than we are on recordings it’s a good place to be.
    Finding lead guitarists that want to play specific parts rather than aimlessly noodle over everything has been problematic for us. The other great thing is the less members in the group the easier it is to arrange practice/recordings/gigs etc

2. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I've been listening to this band a lot which is a trio with singer who sometimes plays drums or piano.

Nickadermis likes this.
  3. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I've been playing Bass with a local guitarist/singer and his drummer for a few years now ... they've been in various small bands together for a long time... we haven't gigged out yet, though we practiced a set last year to play at a school fair but it got rained out/cancelled... I was kinda bummed for a month after that, I was so keen to play out......

as a first time Bass player, I had to get up to speed pretty quickly.. or give it up and go back to guitar...

It's great, I get to make up my own basslines for songs... or fudge the original close enough for our purposes... the guys have never suggested I should do anything other than what I'm doing, the drummer and I get on well and discuss where we need spaces to be, who gets the 1 on this section, etc... worked with the guitar player to leave me the bottom end and get his twang more in the mix...

I really feel I'm playing music now, . I can push the beat, pull back and minimise, drop in fills here and there, hold solid to let the other players drift around... try new patterns mid song without getting the stink eye from the others...
    it's a ton of fun.... more fun than rhythm guitar..... ;)

Nickadermis likes this.
  4. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

Best advice I ever got was from Henry M. Johnson, who is my personal guitar hero: He simply said, "Just don't be afraid of the space." The more I think about it, and attempt to play by it, the easier it gets.

5. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

One of my bands is a trio and I think we have a great raw, punk/post-punk kind of sound that is pretty unique. We have a singer, guitar (me), and drummer. No bass. Often pretty minimal playing. A lot of fun.
    I feel like trios are a good way to find a sound that can be really unique, but equally easy to fall into the same traps as everyone else.
    I prefer trios in general, whether "power" or otherwise.

6. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

I prefer a three piece, but it's also good that everybody sings.

You do have to play some songs a bit differently but hey, creativity is the key.

7. Derwood

Derwood TDPRI Member

I have a trio. We haven't played out a lot yet, but get good response when we do. I play guitar and sing, and also play some harp. The bass player does some backing vox. Drummer drums. Nice not having to compete with incessant noodling. Looking forward to playing at a local distillery's vodka release party this weekend.

8. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

I generally play lead guitar in a 4-piece band (with our lead singer playing rhythm). A couple of years ago we had the "gig of the year" a couple of weeks out when our singer had to bow out for personal reasons. The remaining three of us decided to go it as a trio. It was a TOTALLY different experience. I enjoyed it, but there's a LOT more responsibility on a guitar player when there are only three of you in the band. Man, I gained a TOTAL new level of respect for Alex Lifeson. Maybe not the "technically" best guitar player around, but his ability to intermingle leads, rhythm, and fills is amazing. He can do it all.

9. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've been in a trio the better part of ten years. We were a five piece until the singer and rhythm guitarist quit.

We thought about replacing them, then decided to just move on as a 3 piece. The cool thing is we're fearless - we play a lot of stuff that a 3 piece band should not even attempt, yet we pull it off 99% of the time.

I grew up back when you had to learn rhythm guitar, and that serves the band pretty well. I don't do a million solos - but I don't really miss them in a lot of songs.

- D

Macrogats likes this.
  10. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

My first band in school was the classic 4-piece- two guitars, bass and drums. We fired the rhythm guitarist, and at our first rehearsal without him we realized there was a now a big hole in our sound. We all needed to step up and fill that space, my playing improved dramatically in just a week or two. I definitely recommend playing in a trio at some point in your life- it'll kick your butt, in a good way.

My current band is a trio, if we had any more guys than that we'd never rehearse- it's hard enough to schedule the three of us who are in the band now.

11. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

Love a Trio, but if the drummer can’t sing then I prefer a drum device with a volume control.

12. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Mine, too :)

Also like The Winery Dogs (another 3-piece).

13. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

+1000000000000000000000000000

14. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

if ya think about it, The WHO is a trio . Pete is a master at playing lead while actually not playing lead ! His style made the band what it was. Totally different than Hendrix or Clapton with Cream where it was about solo's. Pete's playing is about the songs first, guitar solos second, if at all. Pete, John and Moon were an orchestra. 3 ='s 1. Same goes for Jimmy with Zeppelin.

15. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

Trio! that's lot of people

My rock band is a 5 members band, but rest of the time I have a Two man's band and sometimes a I go as One man's band

16. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Holic

It depends a lot of the genre You are playing?
    I am a guitarist in a trio (except that I've been out a couple of months to get my aching elbow back in shape) and we have double bass and lead singer, who also plays the acoustic guitar. No drums needed. We all (the two of us) sing on the background what ever we can. I've never thought that there's gaps to be filled with playing. I think that the "singer is the act" and we just do something small on the background to make it a little bit "more", but keeping in mind the fact, that "less is more".

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  17. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I've been playing in a trio for about 10 years, and I love it. (Bass, drums, Tele. Bass player is a great vocalist and I can hold my own.)

We used to be a 4 piece, and kicked a guy out - too much drama, and never looked back.

We play a mix of country, southern rock, classic rock, blues, jazzy stuff. Kind of eclectic. But the wide variety has also forced me out of my comfort zone and I've learned a lot. And yes, knowing when not to play, even in a trio, is a very beneficial thing for making dynamic changes to songs.

But we're good friends and mesh musically. I like the creative aspect - how can we present a decent version that covers the main vibe of a song using only what we have? And none of us are sticklers for doing note for note covers, which helps a lot. As long as we feel we present a song well, we'll rearrange and customize it to fit our style.

Cheers,
    Doug

thegeezer likes this.
  18. picknfool

picknfool Tele-Holic

In my Americana trio, Footprints, I play acoustic and electric guitars and harmonica, my partner plays acoustic guitar and mandolin, and we have an upright bass player. Everybody sings. We get a nice, full sound without being overwhelming!

19. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

My regular band amounts to the world’s smallest trio – since there are only two of us. The percussion section is my venerable, trusted and true Roland TR505 drum machine, which is pretty first-generation but with judiciously-programmed patterns works extremely well for live work. I do all the lead vocals in an eclectic variety of styles, while my bass-player contributes some BVs and harmonies.

This works very well for me because my technique has adapted to this configuration, with a mix of chordal work and fills, while the bass gives me plenty to sit on while I take solos. All I can say is that it works.

20. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

Same here, for about a year it was just me the bass player and a Beat Buddy Drum Machine. Then about 3 years ago I started building tracks on Band In A Box and the drum machine is on the shelf.

Having a volume control on drums is priceless. Then beyond, to controlling where and what the fills are and getting some pattern changes to the flow of the song.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.