1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Playing in a "mature" cover band (song list)

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Ed P, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Ed P

Ed P Friend of Leo's

I'm starting to get real itchy to join a "mature" cover band again, now that I am in my mid-50's and my wife and I are empty nesters. It's been about 15 or 20 years since the last time.

So...

What songs should I should I learn to at least get me up to the starting gate?

Thanks!

2. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

A mature cover band... If it were me, I'd work up some Steely Dan.

3. Big John Studd

Big John Studd Friend of Leo's

Welcome back. We're all STILL playing Mustang Sally...you should be able to jump right in!

4. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

one of my friends (a drummer!) has a pretty cool thing going… he has a group of guys and each year they work up a band that focuses on 'one thing'… this year it has been Ricky Nelson and all they do is Ricky Nelson songs… last year it was the animals, the year before surf…

Their gigs are like an hour with other 'mature' bands each taking an hour and it seems about right for what they want to do..

5. Ed P

Ed P Friend of Leo's

Appreciate the thoughts guys!

What I'm thinking about is a list of songs that could reasonably prepare me for an audition with a band that's looking for a bass player. (Forgot to mention that detail. I'm finally owning up to the fact that I'm a much better bassist than guitarist.)

6. Ed P

Ed P Friend of Leo's

That's what I suspect.

7. Joe Baggadonitz

Joe Baggadonitz Friend of Leo's

Good for you! You can't go wrong with good ole' classic rock- The Stones, Beatles, CCR, ABB, SKYNYRD, LED Zeppelin, Bad Co. The Who, SRV, ZZ Top etc.

8. Ed P

Ed P Friend of Leo's

Cool - I've been out of circulation for so long that I'd forgotten what classic rock is.

9. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

Try to avoid auditions where you do 45 minutes of Green Grass and High Tide, because when you get the gig all you"ll be playing is...yeah you guessed it.

10. TeleTim911

TeleTim911 Friend of Leo's

When you find a band or like-minded people, get a list from them. Go check out a few venues, where you might find the music you play (or would like to), and see what they're doing.

Turn on a radio station of whatever type music you like and see what's playing there. Remember you can also find satellite and internet radio stations as well.

Google "Top 50 (insert your genre) Songs Of All Time", see what lists pop up.

Hope it works out for you. Took me almost 3 years to find a band, and that only lasted about 6 to 8 months or so. BUT...we had a lot of fun in that time. Hope you do too.

11. brewwagon

brewwagon Poster Extraordinaire

anything from radar love -ge to beat it-mj teen spirit nirvana long way to the top -acdc
    could you be loved marley
    be flexible have fun - you should be well rehearsed comfortable playing together and know your stuff as a band

12. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

"Don't Know Why" popped into my head by Norah Jones. Have no clue why! That's a classy song, shoot, I need to learn that. Except my heart is drenched in Snickers, so, there's a conflict.

Basically, any song that most older people like, and most slightly younger people (without an obvious genre-challenged disease) think is "ok." Young people absolutely hate it because it's "stupid, cheesy, lame," etc. That's usually an accurate indicator that its a fairly universal and tasteful song with the potential to also be musically rewarding.

I used to cringe and skim over that stuff when I was younger, until I finally figured out that it was awesome and I was the one that was narrow and frighteningly isolated. I'm still learning, but I've come a long way, baby!

Wasn't that long ago that "Bullet" seemed an appropriate cover-choice to me! Hmmmmmmmn. Guess I done grow'd up a bit.

13. Ed P

Ed P Friend of Leo's

Fortunately I'm involved in three other music projects that are much more "stable", so I'm not too worried about how long it takes to find a band or how long it lasts. Plus this is all just for fun. That's a real luxury!

14. Joe Baggadonitz

Joe Baggadonitz Friend of Leo's

Many people have their own special take on the essential ingredients for the perfect recipe. For me- don't get too over-indulgent with long, noodley guitar solos. Some people dig it but many get bored especially women. You don't want that. Vocals are very important too!
    I don't care if you're Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Frank Zappa and Jimmy Page all rolled into one, if you can't sing or your vocals suck, phooey!
    Keep the music moving with solid, recognizable, dance- type classic rock tunes then throw in the odd obscure tune. a blues tune is always fun. Albert Collins, Albert King, Muddy Waters. Maybe SRV for those who think that's where the blues started.

15. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

I'm not sure you even want to pigeon hole yourself this way, if you can help it.
    Do whatever it is you feel like people will dig, don't be self indulgent, but don't sell your soul either. Mix things up if possible, I do agree about keeping solos tight, concise and no long jams. And I do agree on getting the best possible vocals you can wrench from the group of people you are with. I'd let the vocal capability be my guide to a large degree. Because if you suck vocally, it won't matter if you play like Albert King. See what you can assemble vocally, then choose music you can sing well, because nobody in the audience cares how many years you studied Jerry Reed, if you can't sing, or choose material you haven't the line up to pull off, don't bother leaving the rehearsal space.

So it comes down to taste and being tasteful for an audience, with what you got.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.