1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Playing Guitar Makes Me Happy

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by Teachering, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Teachering

Teachering TDPRI Member

Knowing what to say makes me a bit nervous. Hello everyone! I suppose I might begin by saying that I love good guitar including the Fender Telecaster. I own four Teles three of which are deluxe and a vintage reissue; I own an EJ Strat, a Mark Knopfler Strat, and a very unique '57 reissue Strat that I bought back in 2001. It's unique because it just draws a person in and makes you want to rock n' roll. I also have a Gibson Les Paul Standard I bought in 2002. A very nice Les Paul to play. Lastly, I own three Martins: a D35 I bought in 1999 and which has developed a beautiful golden coloured soundboard; an HD28V that I've had for a year and remarkable for its sound. Lastly, I recently bought a Martin OM21. A very nice playing and woody sounding instrument. My current project is to save for a Martin OM42. I just have to own it! That said, I'm finding it hard to resist getting one of the new American Vintage '52 Teles. I'll end by saying that I also have a love affair with Fender Tube amplifiers of which I own four. I've also set my sights on a '57 Deluxe Tweed amp.

I've never posted on a guitar forum before and am unsure if I am posting correctly. I'm hoping that this appears in the Welcome comments.

2. knollhavenguita

knollhavenguita TDPRI Member

Hi Teachering, welcome! I am fairly new here too. Lots of great info, smiles and support are shared here. Cheers!

3. voodoostation

voodoostation Friend of Leo's

Welcome in, you'll find this a great place to spend much of your free time. A lot of expertise and good times to be had.

4. Blustele

Blustele Tele-Afflicted

Welcome!

5. Omiewise65

Omiewise65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Hi Teachering , welcome aboard . Lots of information waiting for you !
    Please post some pics of your awesome collection , if you'd be so kind

6. Teachering

Teachering TDPRI Member

Re: My Collection

I'll try and meet the request to show off my collection by posting pics. I bought my wife a digital camera a couple Christmases ago and have never personally used it. My son is knowledgeable about doing things like uploads on computer so I'll ask for his help.

I never thought of my collection as awesome but I guess I do have some nice gear.

7. FrankJames

FrankJames Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Welcome to the forum !!

8. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

I was playing a Martin OM42 in a local music store a few years ago. I had never seen a prettier or better sounding guitar in my life. I'm a good player so the store owner thought he might have a sale. I told him I really wasn't in the market for a acoustic but if I was this would be it. He smiled and told me to shut my eyes and he was going to hand me another guitar to play that was a little cheaper and he liked better. I started playing this guitar not having any idea what it was. I had never played a guitar that I liked better. When I opened my eyes it was a plain Jane Huss Dalton 00 with a mahogany back and sides. I was shocked as I am a rosewood fan all the way. Check them out if you can. Welcome to the forum.

9. ShadowChancer

ShadowChancer Tele-Holic

Welcome from Scotland

sounds to me like you are doing it all pretty much right as it is good budy , keep up the good work and welcome to this amazing forum , whatever you know you`ll learn more here

10. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

You're among friends with a passion for music and guitars.

Owning 4 Teles is an added bonus around these parts!

Welcome!

11. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Welcome aboard.

12. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Playing guitar makes me happy - the title of your thread made me have a closer look at it. A Welcome from a guy who would sign that immediately.

13. Teachering

Teachering TDPRI Member

In reply to gitold's statement about a Martin OM-42

I like your story a lot. My experience tells me that sometimes a high priced guitar does not necessarily mean quality sound. For example, I have known some Mexican made Strats and Teles to be superior in sound quality than many higher priced American models. As to my personal taste, however, there's something about the look and feel of a quality guitar that you don't find with less expensive models.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  14. twangcaster1

twangcaster1 Friend of Leo's

Welcome to the world of the tele-obsessed!

15. mslevy

mslevy TDPRI Member

Absolutely! To the point that it might cause a divorce. What is it about the guitar that makes us obsessed? Is anyone playing gigs or just plucking around at home? What kind if projects are you guys working on? Chords, scales, any particular genres?

16. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Playing guitar is the one "thing" that is always "good". Welcome to our neighborhood.

17. burtonfan

burtonfan Tele-Afflicted

Telecaster...my drug of choice! ;)

18. Teachering

Teachering TDPRI Member

Good Question

That's a good question, mslevy. The guitar is an obsession with me as it is with so many others. I just don't know the answer as to why. I love the way they look, feel, smell, sound....only certain ones, mind you. For instance, as regards the acoustic Martin is my first choice. I also like certain Gibsons such as the J-45 and Hummingbird. As to electrics, it is the Telecaster which most attracts me with the Stratocaster a close second. There are times when I enjoy the Les Paul and times when I have the zeal to save and spend a whole lot of money on custom shop models.

At this time I'm working on all kinds of different projects. I've been spending more time on the acoustic learning chord melody. It takes me a long while to learn a piece well. The acoustic guitar requires a fair amount of finger and hand strength to avoid muting strings. I once heard Mark Knopfler say that the guitar makes a person's fingers move in ways they aren't necessarily meant to move, or something along that line. I suppose it's this kind of challenge that creates guitar players and the obsession that goes with it. As to my Teles and Strats and even acoustic I've been playing a lot of Tom Petty, ZZ Top,The Rolling Stones, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jimi Hendrix, and many more.

As to scales, I'm knowledgeable. I know all my major scales and my pentatonics. I'm getting much better at putting them to use. I studied guitar with an instructor for almost ten years. His thing was jazz. I credit him with helping me learn scales and how to construct chords and create chord melody. In fact, he taught me quite a lot about music theory. I'm able to read music with some facility. But I enjoy playing all different types of music.

19. deputydog

deputydog Tele-Holic

Welcome

20. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

"Playing Guitar Makes Me Happy"... Me too...:)

and don't you just love it when you pick up your guitar after not playing for a few days.... even through a change of weather.... put the snark on....

and never have to change a thing..not even a fraction of a tweak..... EADGBE....all sweet..awesome!....:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.