1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Playing Clean

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by OlRedNeckHippy, Nov 4, 2020.

1. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

Plug it straight in!
    I often wonder after all the discussions we have about The subtleties Of tone, why the beloved instrument gets plugged through pedal after pedal.

dougstrum likes this.
  2. Cesspit

Cesspit Tele-Holic

Tele/strat into a Blues junior, just on the edge of break up. No pedals. With the amp working I get lots of sustain and a bit of harmonic feedback if I try.

Happy days......

3. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I don't own any pedals, so the "dirtiest" sound I get is a clean P90.

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.
  4. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

I've tried a ton of pedals, and owned a bunch as well. give me a Klon clone (too much bux for the real thing). my own amps sound great with no pedals (20w Traynor, Blues Jr and a couple I built). when I go out to jam night they have a back line, usually Fender but sometimes other stuff, so my pedal board goes along. I have a tuner, Strymon Flint (I turn the amp reverb off) and THE ARCHER. I've tried other Klones too but the Archer... man that thing is good. it doesn't do distortion, but it will add thickness, saturation and sustain. it simply adds more of what you already have. if I need it, I set it & leave it on. the other pedal I like for that Dumble type sound & touch is The Dude but it's a lot more fussy to set up. but then, when its set.... wowzer. too fussy for a 3 & out jam though

5. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

That tone is from the "low to medium gain amp, wound out" period. In that period I got tones like that with a mide-60s 50 watt Gibson GA55RVT (Kalamazoo Super) amp, jumpered, wound up, and with either an Electro Harmonics LPB-2 or MXR MicroAmp clean boost out front. Between its negative feedback scheme and underrated rectifier, the power section compressed while the preamp was still reasonably clean. It had a sweet sound, partially because it wasn't nearly as bright as the Super Reverb and didn't attempt to to stay clean from about halfway up, which put it in contrast with the Fender Supers I played along with. At reasonable band level the pick attack went away, leaving this single-string lead sound that was very sustainy without being raunchy.

Back then in the studio, guys were experimenting with pushing a regular amp into a studio compressor as well. However, sometimes it was just cranked amps. I spoke with Ed King of Lynyrd Skynyrd about my favorite song by them, "I Need You," from Second Helping. Ed played the rhythm parts on a Strat through a non-reverb Princeton Amp. In overdubs, Gary and Allen played their leads into their Marshalls, cranked all the way up and rattling Studio One in Doraville, GA.

Modern dirt boxes typically combine the characteristics of a pushed 12AX7 with those of a pushed power amp so you end up with much more grit. As others have suggested, the solution is adding a compressor out front to round off the attack without pushing the preamp too far. On modelers, I typically use a low-medium gain amp with boost and compression to get into this region. I really have a studio thought process because that is where I do most of my work.

Bob

6. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I play clean through a Mesa Boogie. Yeah right? Right. I use the clean channel of my Express 5:25 with the gain below 12 o’clock. There are beautiful sounds there with all my guitars. Digging in with the guitar volume maxed puts a little edge on the sound. I can get more volume with my BOSS-EQ200 by adding 9dB on the boost slider. The tone stays clean. I accompany myself on vocals, play a little blues and jazz. I don’t think there was ever a time when I wanted distortion in my sound. I often like it listening to others but it’s never been part of my sound.

Think about it. A FCS ‘69 Strat into a Boogie through an EQ200 for delicious cleans. Yeah right.

7. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Meister

Those are not all clean guitars. Def some dirt

8. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic

It's all about the music. Clean is perfect for the music in the OP's link. A bunch of fuzzed out rock would sound weird clean.

I like the full range. I play squeaky clean through Roland JCs with no chorus. I also play with light to moderate amp drive, and with crazy echos and fuzz.

9. Tele22

Tele22 Tele-Meister

Rumor has it that you sometimes even use a 120 watt amp …

Jakedog likes this.
  10. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

I think so to. The “sound” of this is generally of amps working hard. And by “hard” I mean pushed into distortion, or right on the edge of doing so.

11. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Those rumors may have some truth to them. I even use it in a pub that barley holds 40 people when it’s packed to the gills.

brookdalebill likes this.
  12. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Well...go to your fave streaming service, punch up Charlie Frey's Blue Plate Specials, Biscuits and Gravy, and tell me what think about Throw Me a 'Bone.

13. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

I've got a Rubbermaid storage bin full of pedals. I won't say I never pull one out just for fun, or a special project but...clean, clean, clean. The most I do generally is use my Klon clone with the gain turned down just for a bit of fatness, but that's rare.

The sound of a fine electric guitar into a fine amplifier, through a fine speaker, played well, is what really gets my juices flowing.

Every once in while I'll try to watch video demonstrating an extremely rare, expensive and desirable instrument. The very hip demonstrator then starts playing...PTHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! BLATT!!! BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! Because that's what...I don't know. I just don't know.

Digital Larry and OlRedNeckHippy like this.
  14. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun Tele-Holic

I like to think of that sound as a "a stinging clean" .

Tuneup likes this.
  15. Tony Forman

Tony Forman Tele-Meister

For the past year I've been playing clean exclusively - compressor, a touch of chorus or phaser, slapback delay and reverb. I've gotten to really dislike the overdriven / distortion tone. It just says, "Rawk \m/" to me. And when the "Rawk \m/" comes in, I go out. The only exception to this would be Eddy Shaver's Strat tone - the rest I can't even listen to these days.

Digital Larry and OlRedNeckHippy like this.
  16. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

Great tones on that cut! Aren't Fender guitars the best? While no distortion boxes involved, those amps were definitely pushed. I can't run my Deluxe Reverb or even Princeton hot enough to get that natural edge-of-break-up sound, so I rely on a transparent overdrive. I agree with Jakedog though, with a full band there's nothing like a big amp breathing deep.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.