Playing cheaper guitars at gigs?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LunarSlingShot, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

Last time I saw Dale Watson he was playing through one of those cheap Fender Mustang modeling amps which were like $150 brand new. And he sounded great!

Wildcard_35 and stormsedge like this.
  2. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Holic

This is why I do partscasters. Not a Squier, and not a Fender. Just something that works for me, and if it gets stolen... I'll just build another one!

3. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Holic

I'm with you LunarSlingShot. I gigged my '64 AC30 (among other gear) to small local venues. Some people thought I was crazy to do it. I think it would be crazy not to.

For the most part, I divorce myself from budget concerns when considering what gear I'll need to get a desired sound. I then find a (within legal means) way to make it happen and get exactly what I had in mind.

After all that effort it seems absurd to not use it every opportunity I get.

4. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

You can learn what makes a good guitar thru ownership, and then select/mod others' to perform the same. I keep a collection of vintage stuff, and create facsimiles of disposable gear for risky gigs.

stormsedge likes this.
  5. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

Squier or American? Split the difference and gig with MIM Fenders. I would be seriously pissed if mine got ripped off but I've got less than $1,200 total tied up in my three Fenders that I take out.

Earlier this year I bought an excellent looking and playing 90s Hamer, made in Korea, for $125 cheap because it has a couple dings in the neck. That'll be an awesome LP-type stand-in for the local dive bars.

20180818_122256_HDR_crop2_clr.jpg 20190207_193027.jpg

stormsedge likes this.
  6. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well, Mustang Sally done right does require a mint, vintage ‘59 Burst and a vintage Dumble, y’all.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  7. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My mistake. Sorry. I do understand the point you are making. Why pay for a high end guitar and then not take it to a gig? Several good points were made, as to security at some gigs, and the ever present drunk idiots. There was a thread here once where a member described a gig where a drunk jumped on the stage, grabbed his $$$$ Martin acoustic, leapt back on the dance floor and jumped up and down pretending to play it. This is my biggest concern for the safety of my guitars. That and the grab and run thieves. I have a few acquaintances who lost guitars to this type of criminal.

8. Lamar Fandango

Lamar Fandango TDPRI Member

A Gibson Hummingbird (mine is a 2014) is the most beautiful sounding thing I have ever heard. The angels sing with rich harmonics and balance whenever I play it. Once you plug it in to a PA, it sounds like every other cheap piezo guitar. I gig with a cheaper Epiphone these days unless there's a good reason to bring the bird.

Why pay for a high end guitar, then not play it? Mostly because it wins in the studio and small acoustic sessions.

9. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I take the guitar that will be the best for the gig. One of my guitars is from Walmart. It sounds great. It sounds better than the ‘57 tele I owned. I mean that. I changed pickups and it came alive. It cost me $55 and if someone walked off with it, it would kill me because of the sound, not the monetary value.

Telecastoff1 and Fiesta Red like this.
  10. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

My main guitar is a 1995 MIM Fender Telecaster that y’all are probably tired of me talking about...the main backup lately has been a rotation of MIM Telecaster Deluxe, an hecho-en-China Modern Player Telecaster Thinline Deluxe and a Chinese Dean VX.

My vintage(?) 1980 G&L and sweet, sweet American ‘62-reissue Stratocaster stay at home...because while I’d (non-fatally) shoot the guy who tries to run off with any of the above-listed instruments, he’s less likely to steal a jacked-up (read: Modified/Customized) import guitar.

Wildcard_35 and 4pickupguy like this.
  11. Fiesta Red

You know my sister-in-law?!?

Wildcard_35, Tonetele and Toto'sDad like this.
  12. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

She gets around don't she?! :lol:

13. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

any body that judges you or your playing by the gear you play rather than the way you play, the stories you tell, isn't someones opinion worthy of consideration.
    as the saying goes loosely, " I've been called worse by better."

GuitarKid likes this.
  14. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I have six guitars but usually take Two teles, a strat, a Taylor and my son's Korean Danelectro 56 U2 because it sounds good. I paid $350 AUD for that and an amp for him when he was a kid.

15. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Afflicted

Most people do not care what you play with or through. and if it gets me the tone I want then it is all good with me.

ScottTunes likes this.
  16. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

ScottTunes likes this.
  17. Fiesta Red

Yes, she’s big and round.

Oh wait—you said she gets around...never mind!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  18. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Tele-Meister

A long time ago a well meaning drunk spilled Jagermeister on an American Standard Tele I had just bought.

Lesson learned. I brought the cheap stuff to dives from then on.

19. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I go to an acoustic group pub jam once in a while. I bring either a 1930 Gibson L-1, 1950 Gibson J-45, or a 1927 koa Martin 0-28. I figured I want to add personal memories to these guitars.

However, a couple years ago I took my J-45 with me strapped to my back when I headed to the men’s room. While I was standing there using the urinal two very large, very Easter European skinheads started commenting on my guitar, and saying they wanted it. I said that wasn’t going to happen. And as it turned out, it didn’t. But I was very lucky.

So, while I totally get wanting to play my favorite guitars anywhere, I think it’s generally wiser in those iffy situations to keep the valuables at home.

I have vintage Fenders. I also have a Squier Bullet Strat and a Squier ‘51. I enjoy all my guitars. No big deal. I even let them share the same utility closet.

To me it’s all valid:

Use your best equipment because you and the audience enjoy it.

Use cheap stuff so it’s easily replaceable.

Show off that Squier decal and educate folks that it can all sound good.

20. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I played a street fest recently. Rain forecast. I took the disposable gear, save the amp. I kept a tarp nearby, but it was relieving when it started to rain, to cover my amp, and then relax while I cover the rest of my gear and instruments. It was also relieving when I got home, and left stuff out to dry, not really worried about any after effects. It might just be true, that some of us spend more time selecting cheap gear than we spend on good gear.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.