Playing cheaper guitars at gigs?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LunarSlingShot, Oct 30, 2019.

1. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister

I am absolutely a gear weenie but not of the snobbish variety.

2. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Right?

Combatively judgmental maybe?

And yeah, my wife doesn't come to all my shows to watch my gear. That would be, how to put this, odd.

To conclude - everyone should do everything exactly like me.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  3. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Holic

Thanks for your input! Everything I've seen you post on this forum has been completely void of your own opinion and I applaud you for it!

Wait, that's not true at all!

4. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

For me it's not about money. I'll take anything I own to rehearsal, or to a controlled environment. But I have a couple of guitars that have a lot of sentimental value and could never really be replaced. If they leave my house, they don't leave my sight. They're not going to be left on a stand in a shady bar, or in the back of the gear truck, anytime soon.

studio1087 and tery like this.
  5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I saw Dan Tyminski one year at Victorville when he was still using his 1946 Martin D-28 on stage. It was almost comical to see the rest of the band leave their stuff on stage, and Dan hurrying off stage with both arms rapped tightly around the Martin.

LunarSlingShot likes this.
  6. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

So far I've always played my nice guitars at gigs. That being said I haven't gigged a lot lately. Also, I'm in a cover band & almost never play with other bands. My band does 3 sets & an encore. My guitars are on stage (in plain sight) the entire night, then I leave.

The more stories I hear or ads I see of people searching for their stolen gear, the more I understand why people might leave their favorites at home.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  7. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

i see a lot of bands that are serious about their music playing squier, epiphone, and other budget brands.

stormsedge likes this.
  8. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

As an aspiring guitar player on a limited budget, it gives me great hope when I get a glimpse of an affordable headstock in the hands of someone who is really bringing it...a +$1000 guitar is not going to make me sound better.

9. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister

I just saw the Descendents, who sell out decent sized places and have had a loyal dedicated following, and their bass player was playing a put together no name p bass body with a Squier Jaguar Bass neck. And it sounded great and he played the living **** out of it.

Wildcard_35 and stormsedge like this.
  10. GuitarKid

GuitarKid Tele-Holic

Yes, it was just something stupid what I wrote.

11. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

Exactly. The ONLY people who MIGHT care about your gear are other guitar players. The average person in a bar (on the street, anywhere) has zero clue what they're looking at when it comes to musical gear. As another guitar player, if I saw you playing in a club and you had good ability & tasteful playing, I would be just as impressed (if not more so) if you were doing it on a Squier as opposed to a Fender.

aging_rocker and rangercaster like this.
  12. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Meister

Last check. $213.88 with tax for the hardware and electrics, About $15.00 for the guitar at most garage sales or thrift stores

13. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My buddy to an expensive show to a gig. It got knocked over , but no damage. It’s been cheaper built guitars ever since. Now, that being said, it was his frequently giffing cover band. In his original band, he plays the good stuff. Original bands only play one set around here. Bands hook up with other bands when they play in clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

Haha, that is a great backhanded compliment!

Wildcard_35 and stormsedge like this.
  15. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Are you serious? Baby sit your gear 25/7, nah I take the cheap stuff. Rather be involved in life rather than guard duty.

MilwMark likes this.
  16. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Holic

I’m dead serious. You act like I’m hovering over my amp all night in the back like a gargoyle. Is it that strange that after I play I set my guitar in its case under the table I sit at? I think not. Regardless of if I have a cheap or expensive guitar at the gig, mine won’t get stolen.

17. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

After a couple of bad experiences back in the '90s, I always bring three guitars whether gigging, band practice, or just jamming. I do worry about having all my best eggs in the same basket sometimes, so I usually find myself bringing one high-end guitar and a couple of mid-grades like my MIM Standard Strat and one of my partscasters.

GuitarKid likes this.
  18. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

Especially if you don't use it to perform and only play it at home.

19. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

My only real thing of this sort is that I won't bring my Gibson acoustic into bars that still allow smoking...thankfully, those are few and far between.

20. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

99% of my gigs are solo acoustic. I have 3 cheap acoustics that I rotate. I leave two at time in the trunk of my car 365 days a year. Northeast PA gets cold in the winter and hot in the summer. I get complimented on the sound of my guitar all the time. People craning their necks to look at the headstock. Ibanez, Yamaha and Epiphone. 1100 bucks combined.

Dan

stormsedge likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.