Playing cheaper guitars at gigs?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LunarSlingShot, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I gotta hand it to you, just surviving in Baltimore would be problem enough, playing music there for a long time, well now that's hero stuff right there.

2. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Meister

I don't really care about someone's gear more than just to satisfy my curiosity. I look at amps and pedalboards to see that part of their sound and how they get it.

3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Would you say the thieves are opening gig bags and cases in the back room to find the more expensive guitars?

And for the players who upgrade cheap guitars, how easy is it to replace a First Act with all hardware and electronics upgraded?

LunarSlingShot likes this.
  4. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

I had a friend who had a Harley Davidson motorcycle - he used a Honda motorcycle cover on
    it to keep it from being stolen :D:lol::lol:

Toto'sDad and nojazzhere like this.
  5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Everyone is a tough guy talking about taking high end guitars to a gig ... until something happens. Then they all cry.

Stolen, tripped over, drinks spilled on it, headstock flies off from contacting the mic stand, beating back overly-enthusiastic fans. Something is bound to happen, it's just a matter of time and the number of gigs.

Get any modern guitar and get fretwork done along with upgraded pots/caps/switch/jack and you'll have a player as good as the expensive guitars were back in the old days. Scrub off the headstock because that cheap guitar is no longer the factory built model any more (but don't put a different guitar logo on it).

This guy bought a scrap neck and scrap body ("I thought 'seconds' meant next up to be made into a guitar"), relic painted it himself, scrap pickup that sounded cool from another guitar, and a prototype bridge made by a next door neighbor in his garage. How many bazillion dollars is this guitar worth now? Back then he could easily build another if it was broken or stolen.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    Toast likes this.
  6. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Wildcard_35, drlucky and studio1087 like this.
  7. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister

Haha. I don't live there, but I've been going there or playing there around once or twice a week for close to 20 years. Its like any other city, generally if you're not looking for trouble you're not gonna find it, just be aware of your surroundings and look out for yourself/others, but that said, robberies and thefts are not uncommon.

drlucky and Toto'sDad like this.
  8. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Holic

Agreed, Eddie B! That being said, I use a vintage 71 DR, and an Epiphone Sheraton 2 reissue USA onstage most of the time, not because they are expensive and impressive, but because I like the sound they produce. As for your sit in gear snob, more often than not, I encounter the opposite, some rank amateur that thinks my solo act is karaoke time. I'm not adverse to someone sitting in, but I get a feel for the would-be sit in by discussing what equipment they have and use as a litmus test. It's not perfect, but, usually it's accurate as to level of ability, because most musicians tend to equip themselves to the best level they can. I'm probably equipped a bit above my technical ability, but good stuff= good sound.

drlucky and CDox like this.
  9. Toto'sDad

I get nervous just looking a postcard from Baltimore. I've never been there, but I have a burning desire not to go there! I still think you're a hero if you play there. It's rumored even the Orioles don't like it there! :lol:

LunarSlingShot likes this.
  10. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister

Honestly, the dangerous areas of the city you would have no reason to go to unless you were buying or selling drugs. Outside of that, as far as going to gigs or record stores or whatever, its no different than any other city, just have a little street smarts and you'll be fine.

Wildcard_35 and Toto'sDad like this.
  11. Toto'sDad

Well okay then.

[​IMG]

12. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Holic

Down here in Texas, there has been almost a 100% increase in issuance of licenses to carry over the last few years. Of those, more than 55% were issued to people over the age of 60. Those interested in stealing from or robbing us old farts have a better than one chance in two of getting a VERY nasty surprise.;)

13. Toto'sDad

Old people are the last people you want to mess with. What are they gonna do to you, give you life in prison?

14. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Meister

It's a toss up, keep an eye on your stuff, telecasters are pretty tough. I would not take a $5000 Martin to a bar.
    That said, life's too short not to take yer best girl to the dance.

15. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

definitely not. it's just a grab and go thing from what I've heard. that being said, I'd rather them grab and go with something easily replaceable.

having an easily identifiable case cuts down on the opportunity a bit i think. i don't buy the "accidentally walked off with the wrong guitar thing"... i think that's an easy free pass when being caught in the act.

16. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I gig with Mexi Fenders, Gibson Specials and a 100 series Taylor. They are solid musical instruments.

My USA Fenders and Standard Gibsons and my Martin D28 stay at home where I enjoy them in my music room.

If you've never walked out of a bar at 2:30 AM and had to set a guitar case in a snow drift during a blizzard then you're a lucky person. We have winter here.

If you've never loaded in or out with snow blowing parallel to the ground in uber wind then you're a lucky person. I have covers for all my amps and I will not take a $2000 guitar out of my home to play cover tunes in a bar. I've never had a friendly dude or a girl on a dance floor gripe about my tone. They all seem pretty happy.

We're all different and that makes life fun. I think that the folks who play very expensive guitars in bars are the silly people.

Telecastoff1, teletimetx and tery like this.
  17. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

The opioid addiction crisis has created hundreds of thousands of junkies looking to steal something for their next fix. A quick car smash and grab is an easy way to get it.
    Sometimes my gear needs to spend a little bit of time in my vehicle, though I minimize it as much as possible and try to keep it parked in view. Having a proper trunk helps
    keep things out of view, but many folks drive wagons, crossovers, SUVs, where it is harder to hide stuff. I currently don't own a vehicle with a proper trunk. I used to have a Mercedes
    300E which was great for its spacious trunk.

I take pretty much all of my gear to gigs except for my Les Paul, for three reasons. 1) It is my most valuable guitar at around $1.5k. 2) It is heavy and gives me a neck ache
    after a three hour gig. 3) If it were to be knocked off its stand by an idiot (a.k.a. band mate who had a couple beers) there's a good chance its headstock would break.

I try to keep a sharp eye on all my gear, at all times. If I need to take my eye off of it I ask a band mate to watch it for me. And I watch their gear when they need me to.

Load in/load out is in many ways the riskiest time-- how do you keep your eyes on gear when half of it is with you and half of it is in the venue or still in your car? Fortunately,
    most places I play I can park within site of the venue. Or in other situations I carpool with a band mate and then between the two of us we can keep an eye on all the gear as
    we are transporting it back and forth.

One good thing about heavy, bulky amps like my Fender SR is I am not very concerned about someone running off with it if I don't keep an eye on it for five minutes. They
    wouldnt' get very far....

As far as picking venues goes, that only works up to a point. If you play metal, punk, rockabilly, and certain other genres,
    you are probably going to be playing to audiences that have a greater than zero percentage of dirtbags looking to snatch something of value if they
    can get away with it. It only takes one. Even if you play to older and more affluent audiences, again it only takes one opportunistic dirtbag.

As far as Texas goes, I suspect that similar laws apply...you can't use deadly force unless you legitimately fear for your own life. Property loss isn't enough. So if someone is
    running down the street with your guitar under his arm, or even your entire vehicle, you can't just put a cap in his butt....you're still stuck watching it fly away.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  18. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Meister

It depends on the gig. Sometimes I leave my Tube Amp and my Martin guitars at home use my old Fender DG 7 acoustic and my solidstate Fender Deluxe 112 plus, because I don't want to worry about my good gear

19. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I haven't had a gear weenie approach me for years.
    I kinda like BS-ing gear...maybe I should be glad they leave me alone!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  20. Toto'sDad

If they do, you're best move is.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.