Playing cheaper guitars at gigs?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LunarSlingShot, Oct 30, 2019.

1. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

That's the way I feel about my new build with "Taz" on the headstock. No one knows what that is or means, but I built exactly what I wanted.

ScottTunes and Toto'sDad like this.
  2. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Holic

This is incredible. Not a bad idea either.

I feel bad for anyone that gets their gear stolen, but really the only time I've ever had anything stolen from me was when I left it in my car. That was MY fault. Thank goodness it was only a couple gift cards I had just been given for my birthday and not a guitar. After that, I've never been daft enough to leave valuables in my car.

I wouldn't bring that Jr. to one of my regular gigs either. Particularly if I was using a guitar stand on stage... ;)

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

You seem interested in picking a bit of a minor fight about this. People do things for all manner of reasons. I have nice (enough) stuff that will take out and nicer stuff I won't take out. Depends on the gig too. I've been in dive bars and restaurants where stuff can get knocked over very easy due to the size of the place. Some people really fret over the slightest of damage. I have a nice Martin that I will play on a bar open mic. If I was to play a gig at that same bar, where I took it off an swapped for an electric and it sat on a stand, I would reconsider.

studio1087 and MilwMark like this.
  4. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister

It doesn't take much for things to get stolen. I've been playing in Baltimore for most of my life, I don't think I know a single person that hasn't had something stolen at some point. What are they going to do, never play there? Thats not a realistic option.

If you're a touring musician, there's a ton of opportunities for something to walk. You can be extremely careful, and most of us are, but nothing is 100%.

5. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I declined an acoustic gig on a float in 27 degree weather with snow sleet. Not an expensive acoustic but not worth ruining either.

studio1087 and telemnemonics like this.
  6. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

The AM73B is an affordable, great playing, work horse.
    Those big fat F holes are made to make it very easy to change pickups and upgrade electronics. If you think it needs some gloss, it’s easy to scuff it down, rub a few coats of Tru-Oil on it, then buff it and it’ll shine like new money.
    I think the AM73B is a great guitar as is, or it can be upgraded all you want. Either way, it plays great if it’s set up right.
    Just my two cents.

7. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

I take my American Vintage Reissue Fender guitars out.
    I felt a bit weird taking my Custom Shop Les Pauls out to dive bars.

8. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

One mans Cheap guitar is another mans Expensive guitar .

9. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Meister

I play my Gibson Les Paul whenever I go. Life’s too short.

10. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I'm glad someone has it all figured out. What other people do with their guitars is something that definitely keeps me awake at night.

11. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I play em all out. American and Asian.

drlucky likes this.
  12. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Holic

Glad you agree with me. Thanks for commenting.

tery likes this.
  13. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Meister

Thing with custom builds is the logo snobs want to know what it is. When it comes to First Act you get laughed at. Although most now have figured out my game. So yea its nice to be able to do your own work and build something exactly the way you want.

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I guess I just don't understand why you think people would care (or why you would care, or why somebody MIGHT care) about how expensive or American your guitar is. I can understand somebody wanting to use a cheap guitar (theft, damage, etc.) and I can understand somebody wanting to use a fancy guitar (because it's their best guitar). I can't understand somebody judging a band or a band member based on headstock label though...

15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I agree and would not bring a valuable guitar to gigs, unless it was one of those fru fru yuppie places.
    Not that suits don't steal...

But there seems to be two different discussions going here.

One is about not bringing your valuable top shelf or vintage guitars to gigs.
    This includes comments about players who think an MIM isn't good enough to perform with.
    Seems like the mid priced guitar range is perfect for basic bar gigs where you can walk in to a GC and replace a stolen or broken guitar for $400- $500, and not have to then replace all the hardware and electronics.

The other discussion seems to be about making some kind of statement, and even making patrons look like fools now and then when they compliment your playing and gear, then the player throws the compliment back in the fans face, telling them they are idiots to think it must be a fine guitar to make good music.
    Let the fans or patrons think you brought a quality guitar to entertain them.
    Why get pleasure from ridiculing your audience?
    Further, IMO modding a really cheap guitar into an adequate to excellent pro tool is more investment than just buying a mid level guitar that can be easily replaced in any city if your gear van gets stolen.

Most non headliner bar gigs don't have crowds showing up to hear Mr Smith play awesome toanz on a '59 Strat.
    Matching the gear to the gigs is a pretty basic choice.

If we pay $100 to see a Gilmour or a Clapton or a SRV, we expect to see them show up with really nice guitars, and fans of that sort of player get off on seeing a great player playing great guitars.
    Sure, we get a little snicker out of seeing a great player sound great on a cheapo guitar, but that isn't really something to make a career out of, unless you're a rep for First Act or Jay Turser.

I've had some great Squiers but in recent times I don't see any I really want to move one of my better guitars into the garage to make room for. Poor players with no guitar, or middle income players who feel a need for purchasing another guitar every week or so will do well to shop for the cheapest guitars.
    But why a performing musician wants to spend time replacing all the parts on a $100 guitar to make a statement seems unmusical.

Of course I was young with time on my hands and a need to be a rebel.
    Rebelling against $500 guitars?
    I'm not getting the motivation.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    drlucky likes this.
  16. telemnemonics

Maybe we look like better players if we can get good use out of cheap guitars?

But on the internet it says cheap guitars are great now, so how is it amazing if our awesome skills make cheap guitars sound good?

I guess it's a protest against players who claim that great guitars are great on the internet?
    Why bother with that?
    And why are actual musicians even impressed by youtube videos of famous players using a Squier Affinity?
    It's just not impressive, and making a big deal out of it is as funny as thinking cheap gear can't sound good.

17. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

I play my Fenders and my Gibsons at bars and pubs and none of them was more than 1,5K €... I play average 1K guitars, Gibson SG, Gibson LP P90s, Fender Fat Tele and Fender Tele Custom72 (reissue)

Some of my friends consider them cheap guitars

Some of my friends consider them expensive guitars

I just consider them MY guitars

I sold more expesive guitars due to that, some vintage, some 3K or 4K, afraid of losing, being theft, breaking something too vintage to fix... Now I am happy with my gear and I can beat it to the bare wood without any remorse

Is the Indian, not the arrow

18. telemnemonics

Then you must be a beginner or a hack if you need good gear!

Ima gear snob and you don't rate in my judgement book!

LunarSlingShot likes this.
  19. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

Jack Pearson playing Squires and need no pedal to wah

20. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Meister

I think I'd actually respect a musician more if they sounded great on a POS. But really, who cares what anyone uses if they sound good?

drlucky likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.