1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Playing by yourself

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by telekaster1999, Apr 16, 2021.

1. telekaster1999

telekaster1999 Tele-Holic

I just cant seem to do it. I play so much off what others are doing, it just seems pointless to play guitar by myself, unless I'm trying to learn a new song or lick. Anyone else?

2. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Afflicted

Nope, not me. I've had a guitar in my hands for 20 years now, regardless of how many people are there to play along.

3. JRtele

JRtele Tele-Meister

I almost exclusively play by myself other than the occasional jam with my neighbour.

Throw a song I like on speakers, pull up tabs and play along.

I find it very zen.

Greg70, MugHimself, SbS and 16 others like this.
  4. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah. Alone is for writing or learning.

But I have to be really motivated and task-focused to play alone.

I’m similar in that my ideas tend to flow from what the band is doing in the room.

5. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Same here. I play by myself to learn songs, but most of my playing is with people in a band. That's why I play guitar.

telekaster1999 and Cadillac_Mike like this.
  6. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

I really like playing alone. Can work out all the kinks and dink around with pedals and worry about tone.
    And actually practice. Then when I’m playing with others I’ve got my wiggles out before I get there.

7. Cadillac_Mike

Cadillac_Mike Tele-Meister

I totally hear ya... When it's just you, you realize your limitations as a guitarist real quick :oops:. But when I play by myself I typically come up with rhythmic things where you're sorta playing the bass parts on guitar and trying to add the chording n' such.

offsideref and telekaster1999 like this.
  8. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i would love, love, love! to be playing along with others but there just isn't any opportunity to do so that i can find.

a guy just moved into a house across the road from me - he is supposed to be an advanced blues player. i've asked him about jamming but he just isn't interested. whatever.

so playing by myself is my only choice at this time. Should i just quit? well, i've tried to quit and i can't.

9. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I do the majority of my playing by myself. About half my gigs (between 100 and 150 in normal year) are solo. Just me and my acoustic. And even though the other half are with other people, I spend almost that much time playing at home by myself, as well.

10. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

Playing with other good musicians certainly elevates my game. I’d like to think that we feed off each other’s skills, energy and ideas.

But playing alone can be great too. And there’s an in-between ground, like playing along with the bass and drum automation in iRealPro that’s enjoyable and builds my skills.

Okay, so I didn’t really answer your question. I guess my point is that playing alone, or with computer based “band mates” or with good players all seem better than NOT playing to me.

drewg and telekaster1999 like this.
  11. dpang2836

dpang2836 Tele-Meister

"All By MYSELF" for 50 years! One of my many Social Phobia's. I play "Guitar Karaoke" along with my Music or Youtube and try to keep up!

12. lathoto

lathoto Tele-Meister

90% of the time it's just me and my hot rod Martin D-18. I'm a songwriter and it's a lonely road.

Jake909, Toadtele, drewg and 4 others like this.
  13. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Holic

Is that what it is that makes it so satisfying? The zen thing? I often play along with recordings myself. That's actually how I learned ear training.

JRtele and drewg like this.
  14. Bob M

Bob M Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

There are a million backing tracks on the Internet. Just dial one up and jam!

15. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Get a jamman and an older trio.....drums and rhythm looped and rock out.....save the drum n rhythm loops and they are always there.

16. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I don't play with others at all, never have. I play solo at the open mic's I've been going to over the past four months.

It's not that I wouldn't like to sometime, but I don't pursue it.

17. Old Smokey

Old Smokey Tele-Meister

Playing with other people is highly overrated.

18. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Afflicted

I've found band members using Craigslist. Plenty of people searching on Facebook groups too. You just gotta write the ad or respond to one you find there.

telekaster1999 likes this.
  19. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Playing by yourself, you play very differently from a jam or with a band. You can get good at it, but like anything else, you have to work at it. For me, playing finger style helps. You play chords, a simple bass line and frills, fills, and solos off the chords. You learn to take advantage of open strings. The way you'll know you're good is that you can play a solo that doesn't sound thin and empty like an unaccompanied single note solo with no difference in texture from when you were accompanying the vocal. Playing with others, you play less but play more assertively. Playing yourself, you've got to be more concerned about balance. Or, you can sing folk songs and strum along. Just decide what level you want to play at.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  20. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Take a look in Twanger Central < https://www.tdpri.com/forums/twanger-central.21/ > at the backing track challenges. Tons of solitary players playing to backing tracks of which some are bedroom players and other gigging musicians. If you are driven to play you find a way. Although I can speak in front of hundreds of people relating to my work, I am petrified to play in front of others, so I use backing tracks to further my playing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.