Playing A Bass Line On My Guitar

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Toast, Jun 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

Hi all,

I've been lurking on the forum for awhile and thought I'd introduce myself with a quick post/request. I'm trying to approximate the bass line of the following English Beat song on my guitar. I like the kind of frenetic tension the bass creates. I want to try to get close to it on my guitar so I can add that element of tension to a loop in my Trio Plus.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out the chaotic first nine seconds of the song's bass line in particular. I think the song is in the key of A or A minor, but I'm not sure. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  2. fidopunk

fidopunk Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I think you're right-- it's in A minor. To me it sounds like he's playing the open A string and then bouncing off of C and B on the D string a whole octave up. There's liberal use of delay or reverb, too. That isn't dissimilar from what Klaus Von Fluoride is doing on Holiday in Cambodia (but he's doing a chromatic walk down from C to A on the D string while playing the open A string).

3. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I was hoping somebody would suggest a song with a similar type of fingering/sound pattern. My goal isn't necessarily to transpose the bass line to my guitar, but to try to reproduce the mood the bass line creates. The bass line along with the terrified heartbeat of the bass drum are really what give the song its anxious mood, in my opinion. Anyway, I'm going to learn Holiday in Cambodia first and familiarize myself with fingering/sound pattern. I might as well learn Police Truck as well since its my favorite DK tune. Hopefully, I can use it as a foundation to noodle around with. I'm going to try your playing suggestion once I get some time to play my guitar. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks.

fidopunk likes this.
  4. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

I went to YouTube, used its slower downer at 1/2 speed. This is what I heard at when the singing starts,

E. . . . . . C. . . . . .G. . . . . .D
    -------------------------------------------------
    -------------3-2-3-2--------------5-5-5-5
    -0-1-0-1--------------2-3-2-3------------

5. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

Oh my gosh, thanks! I'm going to play around with it tonight when I get more guitar time. I don't know why I never thought about using the slower downer. I'm usually waiting for my Youtube videos to buffer and play rather than thinking about slowing them down. Cool, thanks again.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.