players who were around in the '70s: what pedals did you have then?

scotman

TDPRI Member
Had lots so can’t remember. I still have and use the original Tube Screamer. The mxr dynacomp and phase 90 from then are used in my studio.
I remember having a Jet Phaser.

rhino

TDPRI Member
I bought this for £45 from my mum's Littlewoods catalogue in my second term at university in 1976;

View attachment 804559

In the final term of that first year I also bought a Cry Baby, which is faulty and sitting in a box in the loft. After two or three years I stopped using pedals until 2011, and a couple of years ago I started using the Distortion+ again.

Ahhh yes....the Disto+...I forgot all about that (thank you for the flashback). I had a new one in '79 and gave it to the lead singer when I joined the Army.

Chedmus

TDPRI Member
when i started playing in the early '70s, i knew nothing about gear. and there weren't many sources around me to learn from. later on in the decade, i owned a crybaby wah pedal and a "Muff" fuzz. this "Muff" i'm talking about was not a "Big Muff", the BM cost around a hundred bucks, but you could get a "Muff" for like 30 bucks. if you were a kid with a sears and roebuck 7 watt transistor amp and wanted to sound like black sabbath, it could get you there, more or less. i never did own a decent amp until up in the 80's.

in 1976, a buddy of mine whose mother didn't mind to spend money on his musical pursuits, had a new les paul, some kind of a big ole amp, taller than he was, and a totally cool wah/fuzz pedal. i never did get to play around with it, but it sounded awesome. does anybody know if morley was making pedals in the mid-70s? cause that is the type of big, silver, heavy pedal it was. whatever brand that thing was, it made a huge impression on me.

what did you have in those days?

I started Playing in the late 70s and had two pedals.
A Jim Dunlop Cry Baby and an early Ibanez OD850 (Orange with round button) Overdrive.
I later took the guts from both and put them in a single alloy box with the Wah pot on the top to set at the sweet spot for ultimate sustain and feedback.
It was an awesome sound. Warm but gutsy.
Lots of background hiss though (and it didn't like my mates Hammond at all :) ) so I later (85?) got a Boss Noise Gate which did the trick.
Still have all three compomponents but I can't find the chassis for the OD and Wah :(.
I believ Ibanez may have recently reintroduced this model - Still analogue and made in Japan.

droptop

TDPRI Member
I started in the summer of 1980 and had 3 70's pedals: MXR Dist+(no LED), a Boss CE-2 and a EH LPB2. A year later I got a Cry Baby and 3 years later it was onto a Digitech PDS 1002 Digital Delay.

Eric O G

NEW MEMBER!
when i started playing in the early '70s, i knew nothing about gear. and there weren't many sources around me to learn from. later on in the decade, i owned a crybaby wah pedal and a "Muff" fuzz. this "Muff" i'm talking about was not a "Big Muff", the BM cost around a hundred bucks, but you could get a "Muff" for like 30 bucks. if you were a kid with a sears and roebuck 7 watt transistor amp and wanted to sound like black sabbath, it could get you there, more or less. i never did own a decent amp until up in the 80's.

in 1976, a buddy of mine whose mother didn't mind to spend money on his musical pursuits, had a new les paul, some kind of a big ole amp, taller than he was, and a totally cool wah/fuzz pedal. i never did get to play around with it, but it sounded awesome. does anybody know if morley was making pedals in the mid-70s? cause that is the type of big, silver, heavy pedal it was. whatever brand that thing was, it made a huge impression on me.

A Schaller distortion and Vox Wah-wah

Jay Jernigan

Tele-Afflicted
Maestro three button phaser.
Echoplex.
Dan Armstrong Red Ranger.
Vox Wah.
EHX LPB-1.
Very early in the '70s I had a Vox Cheetah guitar with built in distortion, repeat percussion and an eeeee tuner (and some other thing, I can't remember what).
Fender SFTW with reverb and vibrato (tremolo).

Gorquin

Tele-Meister
I had two pedals. An MXR Phase 90, paid $74 and change and sold it about 5 years ago for about $250 IIRC. I didn't hear much of a difference in other pedals and hadn't used it in years. but people like vintage so....I sold it.

The second pedal I still have which is the MXR Super Distortion with a few mods to make it cleaner. I don't use it much but if I want that 70's fuzz/distortion it's there. for a while I had an opto volume pedal but quickly gave it up. Pretty much straight forward, use the Master Volume so you don't go deaf, and play. At least for me.

Theiglupickin

TDPRI Member
Silver Supporter
I have a Maestro (part of Gibson at the time) Boomer2 Wah which I still own. Replaced the Wah pot a few times and replaced the oddball 9V cylindrical battery with a standard 9V battery. Still works great! They called it the "Shaft" Wah back then as reference to the song "Shaft" with its signature Wah sounds! That's about all I used until 78' and got a MXR Phase 100. Its well used but still functions! Boomer2Pedal.jpg

Attachments

• Boomer2Pedal.jpg
    Boomer2Pedal.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

TimT

TDPRI Member
I didn't start playing until 1978 but my first pedal was an EH Big Muff followed by an EH Small Stone phase shifter and a TS-808 Tube Screamer.

Terrygh1949

Tele-Meister

Fuzz Face.

TophatMike

TDPRI Member
Gold Supporter

Univox Square Wave