1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Players who own guitars with locking nuts - A question for you.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by gmm52, Apr 13, 2021.

1. gmm52

gmm52 Tele-Meister

I'm setting up a Sterling Ernie Ball AX40 for a buddy. It has a locking nut. I haven't played a locking nut guitar for a very long time, and this one has an issue that really bothers me. The locking nut is incredibly tall and clunky, and I find it bothersome when playing chords played in the first position. Are there any low profile aftermarket locking nuts out there that might make playing less irritating?

2. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

First thing I'd do is check to see if it has any spacers under the nut.

A friend had an Ibanez guitar come into his shop and the nut was too high, on inspection it had spacers under the nut and removing them did the trick.

TwoBear likes this.
  3. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

I have a couple. I assume you mean the big locking bolts for a Floyd Rose type system rather than a high action?

if action, there should be some adjustment option.. shims, etc.

My newer Ibanez ZR system has a lower profile locking nut than my older Ibanez Edge/Floyd Rose style one with its big allen key bolts. Neither impinge my playing TBH but the older floyd style is certainly ‘chunky’ and i can feel the metal edge of the nut in first position.

Another option is to replace it with a lower profile roller nut or one with a self lubricating material and do away with the locking at both ends. Maybe using locking machines. My number 1 has sperzels

Is it a problem for your buddy? And does he like to divebomb it? If you only want gentle vibrato, a one end system is easier to fine tune and gig with. Sometimes I simply leave the lock bolts ofF my ibanez if i want to restring and play quickly.

you can also do a major mod and put it behind the bridge. I modified my long time number one strat with locking tuner saddles and a behind the nut lock like this.

C27E3D08-9EEF-40E8-B742-6F034FFF159E.jpeg

there is also this, which i found looking for options for my new strat.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  4. gmm52

gmm52 Tele-Meister

Thanks for the replies. Re-reading I see that I was a little vague. String height is fine. It's the bulkiness of the locking nut that's the issue. When playing close to the nut my index finger bumps into a rather tall sharp corner of the locking nut, and it's very annoying. If it weren't for the plating, and if it were my guitar (mind you, I might be making a trade for it) I'd just take a file to it, but that's definitely inviting trouble down the line as the plating will flake.

Guitarteach, that nut looks nice, but the problem with the AX40 doesn't have a conventional bone nut. The locking nut serves double duty.

As an aside, the Guitar Nutbuster in the video looks great. Will have to try one of those on one of my Strat's.

5. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

yep.. that is what I detect.. the sharp edge... seems they have more metal than they need.

6. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

I put locking tuners on all of mine and ditch the locking nut...

7. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Holic

image.jpg Here’s my main and daily driver, I hear what you say about those first position chords but I really don’t play those too much. The neck is Warmouth. The Warmoth body that it came off of, I sold many years back. This body is a standard vintage trem, and stays decently in tune I guess. I have an old Jackson with the same set up which of course doesn’t move if you dive bomb. But back to this I’ve been kicking around the idea of getting that low profile, I think it’s a roller nut, as on Jeff Beck Strat? I think it may work for both of us. image.jpg

8. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

That thing looks really cool, but at $175, I could buy a whole lot of graphite, PTFE, and Tusq nuts!

I even got a set of Fender locking tuners for just under $50 a couple of years ago.

Unless someone is a divebombing madman, I think keeping things properly lubed at the nut itself (which assumes the nut is cut properly) is like 90%+ of the tuning issues.

To that end, I have a SX Hawk that had one of those intrusive Floyd nuts on it, and I ended up having sore spots (maybe even callouses) on the outside of my lefthand index finger. My answer was to get just a sort of standard LP'ish (pre-grooved) nut in conjunction with a string tree, and deal with the funky looking ledge in front of the nut, since it's only about 30% as wide as the locking nut was.

DSCN0951.JPG DSCN0952.JPG

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.