Players who both inspire and also make you want to throw the guitar out the window

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Heathfinn, Jul 26, 2019.

1. lousy13

lousy13 Tele-Meister

There are many that inspire me. I have no illusions that I will ever approach their level of skill but stealing a little here and there keeps me going.

The following are a few of my favorites.

Charlie Baty
    Anson Funderburgh
    Kid Anderson
    Jr. Watson
    Kenney Burrell
    Rick Holmstrom
    Alex Schultz

rz350 likes this.
  2. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

Duke Levine
    Mark Knopfler

3. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Meister

If you want to include players, non-guitar players, who really knock me out, then I'd have to include Thelonius Monk. He, along with Dizzy Gillespie, Bird Parker, Miles Davis, Trane, etc. were the originators of Bebop... a style lost on most listeners as "self indulgent," and much of which is lost on me, too. But as I hear more sophisticated music, the aesthetic grows on me, and also certainly, the appreciation of the harmonies and the musicianship. I understand that a lot of dynamics can be lost with speed. If dynamics and melody are the aesthetics you enjoy, I can certainly appreciate that.

I mentioned Joe Satriani as an inspiration. I think he is one capable of playing lightening fast who also plays with finesse and feel and fabulous tone, and who plays what the music demands. All of the aforementioned are also capable of incorporating great melodic hooks. What it all boils down to is, it's good if you like it.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    lousy13 and telemnemonics like this.
  4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

He has a tone and execution like little birds fluttering over a bubbling brook!

BigDaddyLH likes this.
  5. telemnemonics

Yeah I prefer Jazz but the '61- '73 or so stuff.
    Coltrane, Eric Dolphy, Mingus' early '70s band Cecil Taylor, then later I liked the World Sax Quartet and a few survivors when I could see shows I missed out on as a kid. Sun Ra was a blast and favorite live but not records I put on.

Most guitar players never manage to move me like the great Jazz players of other instruments.

I used to be a multi instrumentalist and guitar is one of my least favorite.
    But it's probably the most versatile and it's the one I can still keep up on the work it takes to maintain some facility.

I've tried Satriani, couldn't get into it.
    Allan Holdsworth gets me pretty good.

Saw a Brazilian guitarist who played 14 string Spanish guitar pretty awe inspiringly.

And there are now some I think Brazilian players of fretless classical that take me there.
    Maybe middle Eastern not Brazilian.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    DekeDog likes this.
  6. telemnemonics

Can't find a decent recording that shows his playing all that well, but worth a look.

7. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Afflicted

I have three favourites:- Jimmy Capps because altho' he reads he still plays with feeling..
    Tommy Emanuel:- because he's the best Aussie guitar picker ever..
    Marty Stuart:- because he picks lead and sings at the same time.. S

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I was in a kid band, and we were really getting decent, and then we went (with others) to see The Jimi Hendrix Experience at War Memorial Auditorium. Hendrix and Mitchell were almost too good to even believe. Axis, Bold as Love tour, with the Hudson Brothers opening,

I had pretty much resolved to "retire" from music after that, riding home in the back of the station wagon. Then I figured "Hey, I'm a Singer Songwriter" and my guitar skills were not that crucial anyway. Girls could see what I could play and not play, and they still returned my phone calls so I figured what the heck.

9. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Holic

Mike Landau and Brad Paisley...

10. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

Gary Clark Jr.

11. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

George Benson.

But really he just inspires me – no wishes to throw guitars anywhere. Instead he makes me grab a guitar and play. I know I'll never be able to play like that, but that's OK. I like to listen and steal a lick here and there.

telemnemonics likes this.
  12. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Holic

I think most of the players we mention on here that we would like to match are maybe guitar players, players and have limited appeal to the general listeners ears, but we can relate to their skills no matter what the music is more as players. Its like with jazz on guitar is not much for me unless it is fused with rock, but i can see the great skills required to play it well.

As for self indulgent not that sure on that one i think many like speed in small doses it is like a mind stimulant providing one does not go over the top and knows how to slow things down and sooth the mind as well when playing a tune or song.

13. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Meister

You were not alone. Every R'n'R and Blues guitar player in the world had to rethink their technique when Hendrix showed up.

14. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Phil keaggy for one but many others.

Bassiaman likes this.
  15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I've seen him twice in person, it's funny to watch the room when he's performing, and see all of those glazed over eyes, and mouths hanging agape. I discovered him one stormy winters night on YouTube. When I showed his videos to my son, he said if he ever comes to California we're going to see him. Tommy did one better, he came to Buck's place!

boredguy6060 likes this.
  16. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Holic

As much as i liked JH i still believe their were many other great guitar players around at that time, also what i liked about the 60s and 70s good guitar players were sort of idolised even some of the local players around here in the UK, who i use to watch when i was very young were really good and the crowds of fans use to flock to see them and be mesmerized by them playing.

17. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

Not only is he a great guitar player, he’s a tireless performer willing to go literally anywhere he’s invited. I’ve seen videos of him from all over the globe, and to top it off, his personality is so warm and friendly he make the perfect ambassador to represent guitar players everywhere.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Indeed he is a great entertainer, and in my opinion a true gentleman who enjoys the company of all he meets in the course of his travels.

boredguy6060 likes this.
  19. cottonmike

cottonmike Tele-Meister

Billy inspired me then Hughie made me cry.

20. duzie

duzie Tele-Meister

Uli Jon Roth is one that just floors me !

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.