1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Player Telecaster vs Vintera 60s Modified

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ronmail65, Jan 27, 2021.

1. ronmail65

ronmail65 TDPRI Member

I'd like to get another Tele, but I'm on the fence with these 2 models.

Equal - Both have the modern C neck profile that I like
    Equal - Neither comes with a case (the Fender gig bag with the Vintera is worthless IMO)
    Equal - Finish - I've always liked the Butterscotch Blonde which the Player has - but the Lake Placid Blue looks great too
    Equal: - Country / quality - both are MIM

Fretboard: + Vintera: I like the PF as a darker - and maybe warmer sounding material (my other Tele is maple). This is also available on the Player, but not with color combinations that I'm looking for
    Neck Finish: + Player, it's Satin vs Gloss
    Frets: + Player - 22 vs 21
    Tuning Keys: + Player. I like the more modern die cast tuning machines over the vintage
    Bridge: not sure... I feel like the brass barrel on the Vintera are superior, but I don't know.
    Electroncs: not sure... I believe the Vintera pickups are higher output and would appeal to me more. Plus Vintera has the advancing switching positions / S1 stuff (not sure I care about this - maybe I should).

Without being able to play / compare these anywhere nearby, that is my assessment. And, also important, the Vintera is $300 more expensive.

So, what other considerations should I have? And do the advantages of the Vintera support the higher price?

2. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

I would get the Vintera or a used Baja. I prefer guitars with vintage style tuner and bridges

mimmo likes this.
  3. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

It's simple, ignore all the pros and cons and ask yourself:

Which one sparks more joy?

In seriousness, I've passed on guitars I wanted because other guitars were a better deal or had what I perceived as better features. In the end I usually ended up taking a loss and going back to the one I wanted and not the one I talked myself in to buying instead. Pros and cons are secondary to what makes you happy.

Jensen and mojek like this.
  4. ronmail65

ronmail65 TDPRI Member

Good advice - thanks!

Blues Twanger and mojek like this.
  5. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

not much help here but I far prefer the vintera/classic 50's-70's strats to MIM standard strats-better feel, better pickups, higher resale value- but I like the vintage feel.

6. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

What people say, and what you feel holding and playing a guitar, are two different things.

7. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

^^^^ this!

8. ronmail65

ronmail65 TDPRI Member

There's a third horse in the race... which seems to be more satisfying on paper relative to what I'm looking for. That would be the American Performer - specifically the one with the humbucker in the bridge, satin neck, 22 frets, and rosewood fretboard.

wblynch likes this.
  9. ronmail65

ronmail65 TDPRI Member

I agree. I'm just working from 'data' and other people's opinions before I order something to test. There's nothing locally to play.

ElephantCat likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.