Player telecaster vs. American

Grandfunkfan

Tele-Meister
Went and played a new player telecaster today just to see how it felt. The original plan was to get an mim and put vintage style pickups in it. The pickups on the mim we're so good I think I'll just keep em. I also tried an American tele while I was there and to my ear it was a little tame and refined compared to the raw tele sound of the player tele. I know tone is subjective but to me the player telecaster sounded more like a traditional tele. The American did have a nicer neck but the player was close enough. Am I missing something?

Last edited:

nickmsmith

Tele-Holic
Went and played a new player telecaster today just to see how it felt. The original plan was to get aim and put vintage style pickups in it. The pickups on the mim we're so good I think I'll just keep em. I also tried an American tele while I was there and to my ear it was a little tame and refined compared to the raw tele sound of the player tele. I know tone is subjective but to me the player telecaster sounded more like a traditional tele. The American did have a nicer neck but the player was close enough. Am I missing something?
Nah, there’s never been a smaller gap between MIM and MIA than there is today.

It was easier to say that MIMs were inferior when they had cheaper ceramic pickups and a headstock logo that made it clear it wasn’t USA made. None of those are true now. One of the only real defining factors from looks alone, is the truss rod plug being plastic vs. wood.

also MIMs cost about what MIAs did 10 years ago, so i think it’s fair that the quality has improved on the cheaper models, too.

chazo64

Tele-Meister
Went and played a new player telecaster today just to see how it felt. The original plan was to get aim and put vintage style pickups in it. The pickups on the mim we're so good I think I'll just keep em. I also tried an American tele while I was there and to my ear it was a little tame and refined compared to the raw tele sound of the player tele. I know tone is subjective but to me the player telecaster sounded more like a traditional tele. The American did have a nicer neck but the player was close enough. Am I missing something?
I agree with you in many cases The "American "version ax is overpriced but they do Hold there value ...some of em I like to keep my guitar budget under 1000$ and just make those 500$ guitars sound like a million bucks.Ps I also am a Grand Funk Fan The red album was a life changing event when I played bass!!

Grandfunkfan

Tele-Meister
It was the pro 2. I did try the ultra just for a goof, but I knew the noiseless pickups weren't going to be my thing and they weren't. Great fit and finish though. Beautiful neck, contour body, but noiseless pickups don't belong on a tele, at least for what I want out of one.

Grandfunkfan

Tele-Meister
When I was hunting for my tele I thought I wanted an American made but I liked the vintera modified's neck the most. It's not that big of a deal my wife was made in Mexico too.
Love the Vintera series. Bought a 50s Vintera strat last year. Gets as much playing time as my American ones. Great for Steve Cropper stuff even.

Last edited:

mimmo

Friend of Leo's
You're missing absolutely nothing. MIA vs MIM means almost nothing today, MIM quality has improved like never before IMO and today you can buy a guitar ready for the stage for reasonable money without needing any mod. Just plug-and-play.

I second what @JL_LI said: let your hands and ears be the judge!

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
I've had good luck with both. The "Fender" Tele I owned the longest, (like 14 years), was a white with white pick guard player level instrument with a maple fingerboard. Everything from the pots to the tuners and pickups all worked fine.

DougM

Poster Extraordinaire
It was the pro 2. I did try the ultra just for a goof, but I knew the noiseless pickups weren't going to be my thing and they weren't. Great fit and finish though. Beautiful neck, contour body, but noiseless pickups don't belong on a tele, at least for what I want out of one.
I think it may have been the wood on the Pro that you played, because the V-Mod pickups on my Pro Strat and the two Player Strats I had were very similar. I also have a Performer Strat (my avatar) and the Yosemite pickups on it are the best sounding and liveliest Strat pickups I've ever used, in dozens of Strats over almost 50 years, yet I played another Performer at my local dealer, and it sounded much less lively and much more bland than my guitar. Reason? Two different pieces of wood on the necks and bodies (both alder bodies and maple necks with rosewood boards), because they have the same pickups and hardware, so the only difference is the wood used.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
I have a MIA vintage(?) 1980 G&L and a spectacular MIA Stratocaster…I also have two MIM Telecasters (my pinstriped one and a ‘72-reissue Telecaster Deluxe)…if I’m playing a gig, the latter two are going with me 90% of the time.

Last edited:

Nick Fanis

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Am I missing something?

The PRO supposedly has "modern" sounding pickups.
Still they sound like a tele to me.
I am pretty sure the MIM had fresher strings and a better set up. (if I had a dollar for every player that constantly changes guitars,pickups and amps cause he can't find his "tone" while he should really change strings when needed (meaning after 8-10 hours of actual playing time) I would be Bill Gates by now :lol: )

Last edited:

Billm67

TDPRI Member
I love the neck profiles on the new players series guitar. I bought a black players strat last year and between the two post bridge and the alnico pickups...I could have sworn it was an old American Std strat.

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter

Matthias

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Most of the price difference is comparatively more expensive labour costs, not better quality components. The quality assurance tolerances are more lenient in MiMs too - you’ll see little fit and finish imperfections you don’t see on US guitars but it’s usually stuff like a slightly darker patch on the side of the headstock or a tiny spec in the finish, perhaps a tiny bit of a neck gap. Stuff you need to hunt for.

As I’ve said before, we are in the golden age of guitar manufacturing right now.

However, I will say I like that extra 10% quality US guitars give me if I can afford it and for builds/mods I tend to seek out deals on the higher-end US hardware because they’re such good quality.

Grandfunkfan

Tele-Meister
The plot thickens in my tele search. Went to guitar center today to see if any new teles came in and they had a used American tele. A 2020. They only info other than the serial number was that it was an American 2020s. I'm assuming the s stands for special. Awesome tone but it's green and I already have a green strat. Anyway, does anyone know what pickups they used in a 2020s. I'm assuming they're not the same as the American professional.