Player Telecaster Screw Replacement?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Bepsi, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Bepsi

Bepsi NEW MEMBER!

I am enjoying my Player Telecaster but there is one screw missing from the intonation saddle on the A string (6 blocks, hardtail style). On a whim I got a 4-40x5/8 screw to make do, so far it seems to be fine. On a hunch however I wanted to double check the specs, so I contacted Fender and I was told the real screw I am looking for is 6-32x3/4.

My question is, could there be any damage in using the 4-40 screw on the saddle? Should I take it out and get the 6-32 from the hardware store? I know it’s used for strats but I read it could also be for Teles. What do you all think?

2. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Fendereedo and Danb541 like this.
  3. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

4-405/8 is smaller than a 6-32x3/4. It should fit through the hole but I’m surprised it works. Does it use the same 0.050 hex wrench that my MIA and MIM Fenders use or is it a slotted screw? Home Depot or Ace Hardware should have the correct screw. Pull one you’re sure of so you have something to compare the new one to. Or better still if you’re unsure, have a tech check it out.

4. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

Killing Floor likes this.
  5. Bepsi

Bepsi NEW MEMBER!

[​IMG]

I guess it does!

By the way for everyone, this is not a saddle height screw issue but an intonation screw in the attached pic https://imgur.com/a/NgeRbp7

6. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

https://www.fender.com/en-US/parts/...e-strattele-intonation-screws/0017031049.html

They come in natural color also. And road worn. And for what it's worth the service from Fender direct is fantastic. You can get these parts from a lot of luthier supply places but these are genuine Fender OEM parts so you know they'll work.
    https://www.fender.com/en-US/parts/...e-strattele-intonation-screws/0017031049.html

Fendereedo and LeftyBlues like this.
  7. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

Copy that. Do you have a parts drawer? Sometimes humbucker height screws are the same size as the intonation screws. Maybe you'll get lucky.
    I'm not surprised a screw that's not the correct size is working though. I assume it has enough thread grip to holes in place with the added string tension.
    Good luck!

8. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Get the right screw, hardware store has one, they are just normal screws. They may even have it in black oxide if yours are black.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.