1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Player Telecaster Pickups?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Jeffcaster, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Jeffcaster

Jeffcaster NEW MEMBER!

They sound great, but does anyone know what they are or what other Fender pickups they sound like?

2. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Fender doesn't have a lot of specs on them; what little they have is on the last page of the "service manual" for each guitar. Per the service manual for the Player Tele the pickups are alnico 5, the neck has resistance of 8-8.6k and the bridge has resistance of 10.2-10.8k - and they are reverse wound from each other so position 2/both pickups is hum cancelling. Here's the link:

https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Original/10001/SM_014521XXXX_Player_Telecaster_Rev_A.pdf

To my ears they sound kind of like American Series/American Standard Tele pickups from 2000-2011 but a bit hotter.

Jeffcaster likes this.
  3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Sounds like they are pretty hot. Hotter than Tex Mex.

Jeffcaster likes this.
  4. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Those are certainly pretty high resistances. They're lower than the ceramics they replaced though. I want to say when I took the ceramics out of my 2017 Standard Tele they were more like 10K+ in the neck and 12K+ in the bridge though. So hot it was difficult for me to get a clean sound out of them without rolling off the volume on the guitar to the point the guitar got too dark.

If you just handed me the player (I've played a few) I'd never have guessed they were hot just from playing them. Maybe this is a case where the resistances don't tell the whole story, as pickup makers love to tell us.

Jeffcaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.