Player Tele with three saddle bridge, vintage style tuners, a single ply pickguard.

Southpaw Tele

Friend of Leo's
I mentioned all these changes in other threads, so I thought I’d put it all together in one with pics.
1.) bridge: went with the very affordable Wilkinson vintage bridge with compensated saddles.
image.jpg

2.) tuners: Fender brand vintage style tuners. Obviously had to do some drilling and getting them straight on this one was not as easy a time as I’ve had in the past. They’re off kilter and I may need to fill and redrill.
image.jpg

3. Single ply (0.09 thickness from Warmoth). I know this takes away from vintage look, but I prefer the neck pickup adjustment screws. However, I also realized this makes this guitar look like a $700 CV Tele, essentially. 😂
image.jpg

Edit: pickups are a Dimarzio Area T in the neck and a Chopper T in the bridge. The Chopper T clearly does not have the classic look but it is perfect for what I play. The Area T in the neck was a pleasant surprise and just as good as the stock neck, if not better. Very open and articulate sound for cleans.

Last edited:

Southpaw Tele

Friend of Leo's
Nice! Can you show a pick of the tuners from the front? I like vintage stye tuners! How did you install them? Thanks!
image.jpg

Here you go! So, I got the StewMac 10.5 mm conversion bushings for this. I had to ream the existing holes and then pressed them in most of the way in with finger pressure (and finished them off with cardboard protecting the tuner bushings while lightly using a pliers). For the reaming, I used a drill bit wrapped in 240 grit sandpaper. No special need for 240; just what I had lying around. You do have to drill pilot holes for the vintage tuners (sorry if you already know this) and then insert the screws. Pretty easy conversion. I hate modern tuners and can’t afford an AO 50s Tele, so doing all of this got me in the ballpark for almost a third of the price (my Tele was $699 new at the time of purchase).

Last edited:

TunedupFlat

Tele-Meister
Looking good @Southpaw Tele !

I have seen a couple of blackguards that ran the old single blade Joe Barden's and a few that ran his dual blade. If "The Boss" can do it, why not you?😜

I say it's all good!

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Very nice.

I recommend the 10.0 mm conversion bushes for the "MIM Standard" bores. But, every once in a while they may not be really snug. I've been giving some thought to replacing with 10.5 mm only those 2% or whatever of the bores I've got that were a little oversized.

I personally find the Wilkinson (by Sing Il) 3 barrel bridges to be at the bottom rung, of all the cheaper and more and most expensive bridge choices out there. But as a Lefty, your choices are very limited. Glad the one they sent you was better than the yucky bridge they sent me.

Southpaw Tele

Friend of Leo's
Very nice.

I recommend the 10.0 mm conversion bushes for the "MIM Standard" bores. But, every once in a while they may not be really snug. I've been giving some thought to replacing with 10.5 mm only those 2% or whatever of the bores I've got that were a little oversized.

I personally find the Wilkinson (by Sing Il) 3 barrel bridges to be at the bottom rung, of all the cheaper and more and most expensive bridge choices out there. But as a Lefty, your choices are very limited. Glad the one they sent you was better than the yucky bridge they sent me.
Yeah, I used an electronic caliper to measure the holes on my headstock and they were a tad over 10.0 mm and all of them varied slightly. StewMac only had 10.5 mm and 3/8 inch for some reason. Really a non issue, though, after the aforementioned sanding.

As far as the bridge, it does feel kinda cheap but it really opened up the sound on this Tele for me. I’d love to get a Callaham or Glendale, but wow, they can get expensive.

BroGreg

Tele-Meister
As a newbie being enlightened as to what a vintage Tele should look like because of this forum, I was forced to mod my Player last year. Same changes except for the Gotoh bridge.
Curious though, the slotted tuners from Fender dropped right in, no fuss, no bother. One of requisites of mine before embarking on the project.
(Edit..looking a bit closer we have two different styles here.)

Attachments

• IMG_2012.JPG
    IMG_2012.JPG
    235.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2013.JPG
    IMG_2013.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2014.JPG
    IMG_2014.JPG
    187.5 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

John C

Friend of Leo's
I mentioned all these changes in other threads, so I thought I’d put it all together in one with pics.
1.) bridge: went with the very affordable Wilkinson vintage bridge with compensated saddles.
View attachment 998319
2.) tuners: Fender brand vintage style tuners. Obviously had to do some drilling and getting them straight on this one was not as easy a time as I’ve had in the past. They’re off kilter and I may need to fill and redrill.
View attachment 998320
3. Single ply (0.09 thickness from Warmoth). I know this takes away from vintage look, but I prefer the neck pickup adjustment screws. However, I also realized this makes this guitar look like a $700 CV Tele, essentially. 😂
View attachment 998324
Edit: pickups are a Dimarzio Area T in the neck and a Chopper T in the bridge. The Chopper T clearly does not have the classic look but it is perfect for what I play. The Area T in the neck was a pleasant surprise and just as good as the stock neck, if not better. Very open and articulate sound for cleans.

Nice work! That came together really well for you.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
A taper reamer like this

View attachment 998388

is pretty cheap and has loads of uses.
It sure does. I have one from a company that was acquired by Irwin, and sadly this product (Hansen) no longer seems to be available. But this one looks fine.

To the O.P.: I treat 3/8ths as equivalent to 10.0 mm. I haven't met a guitar worker who doesn't also, so don't be afraid of the "3/8ths" bushing if good quality and the right color plating.