Player series telecaster ....players

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by bebenavole, Oct 5, 2019.

1. bebenavole

bebenavole Tele-Meister

Got mine in May. Sonic Red and Pao F.
    Not really bonding with it. Pickups sound boxy(especially the bridge) the bridge seems like it's made out of zinc.
    How are you enjoying yours? Any mods?
    thank you
    Adam

Pixie-Bob likes this.
  2. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Didn't like mine much, so ended up selling it on. I changed the tuners for lockers. The bridge didn't fit right, it was an issue with the earlier ones, I contacted Fender UK, who point blankly told me they couldn't do anything, and that it was pretty much up to me to return it to the retailer. I decided I couldn't be bothered, so I bought a new Highway 1 bridge and put that on. By the end of it all, I just wanted rid of the damn thing, so ended up selling it at a loss. I'm sure others have had better experiences than me, but I was glad to part ways.

3. bebenavole

bebenavole Tele-Meister

Mine came with the elongated saddles. I was thinking 3 saddle bridge maybe changes the tone and the response a bit ....I dont know.

4. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I went through the same thing with Player Teles - bought a Sonic Red one in early July 2018 - the one with the messed-up bridge saddles. That one had a nice, zingy tone. Went through the warranty process for the bridge; found out the body was so out-of-spec that just changing the saddles wouldn't correct the bridge issue so they sent me a replacement - but not in Sonic Red; they were out of stock (this was October 2018) so it was either wait until early 2019 for a red replacement or take a sunburst one Fender had at the warehouse. Took the sunburst; thought it was a really dead sounding guitar, couldn't sell it locally (no on else who tried it liked it either) so I took the hit trading the damned thing in on an SG. Good riddance.

When the bridge issue first came up GC offered to take it back and apply the price to anything else they had in stock, but I liked the tone and neck so well on the red one I decided to go through the warranty process, assuming it would just be a bridge replacement.

5. Rusty Shackelford

Rusty Shackelford TDPRI Member

I love mine, the neck plays like butter I've really bonded with the shape. I switched the control plate around 180 degrees and have an LP toggle instead of the blade but other than that it's all stock. I didn't even get the bent steel saddles changed out I actually like the them

The pickups on mine sound pretty good, I usually play on the neck pup or middle position with the tone down to 2 or 3. Don't think I'll change them out

Pixie-Bob likes this.
  6. Pixie-Bob

Pixie-Bob TDPRI Member

Got mine two weeks ago, absolutely loving it. But maybe that's because I'm a strat and LP guy and can't appreciate if it's crap or not. Having said that, today the replacement vintage noiseless pickups arrived - not that I didn't like the stock pups, it's just something I do. Last week I threw it at a production that I had in progress and it did great. Fit and finish was flawless.

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/whiskey-in-the-jar-irish-traditional.980870/#post-9348706

IMG_2549.JPG

RoCkstAr256 likes this.
  7. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

I love my player Tele. I think Sonic red was bad move, i would not pick this red. Candy cola would fit better into series

[​IMG]

jordans0nly likes this.
  8. bebenavole

bebenavole Tele-Meister

here's a little impro
    playing with the truss rod relief so the action is quite high. Just to see wether resonance changes and so on

teletimetx likes this.
  9. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

Sounds great. Nice playing.

10. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

95% of bonding with a guitar is the neck and the tone. If the neck is ok then hints on fixing the tone.

Different guitar but follow along with Joe and he'll show you how to get great tone out of that guitar without any mods.

If still not enough, pots and caps can push the tone all over bright to dark and do not cost much. I've moved flippers to keepers with just a five cent tone cap replacement.

This is part five, part six should be at the top of recommends.

11. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

Im thinking of the same guitar in future, i have owned Red tele, Blonde tele but Tidepool is dream colour. Maple neck too <3

12. bebenavole

bebenavole Tele-Meister

another jam

13. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

@bebenavole nice vibrato and bending technique, man! I think I would stick with the stock bridge but go with something a tad brighter in the neck of it were my player (and I want one in Polar white really badly). I could try to live with it, but I know I would end up changing that neck pickup - I almost always do. Ironically, the best stock tele neck pickup I’ve heard recently is on the Affinity Squiers. But again, it’s brighter than most and it has some vibe that I really liked. I plugged one into a JCM800 combo last week and did a double take - it was that good to my ears.

14. bebenavole

bebenavole Tele-Meister

i dont think i like the neck profile on this one
    thanx for the compliments

mkdaws32 likes this.
  15. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Too bad. I actually preferred the neck on the players more than most of the MIAs I tried. It’s all personal preference though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.