Player Series Club

gridlock

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Just joined yesterday. I do like the guitar. This is a 2018 model and I’ve been informed of the bridge issue. So far no intonation issues.

Got the guitar and case at a good price. Apparently someone changed the parchment pick guard to black at some point. I have a new parchment pick guard on order and it will go on this week.

1FA4D4E4-2129-4C5A-B061-E518A131A371.jpeg

593D5984-FAFD-401B-B652-C0D303BBE4F7.jpeg

gridlock

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Just joined yesterday. I do like the guitar. This is a 2018 model and I’ve been informed of the bridge issue. So far no intonation issues.

Got the guitar and case at a good price. Apparently someone changed the parchment pick guard to black at some point. I have a new parchment pick guard on order and it will go on this week.

View attachment 783454
View attachment 783455

Pick guard changed.

98985949-7922-41DC-BA13-8E8C59897DDF.jpeg

Racer5

Tele-Afflicted
I sold my American Pro a while back. It looked great but I just didn't like the way it played. The overly rounded fretboard edges and the narrow tall frets didn't work for me after a while. For $1200 a guitar better be perfect IMO.

I found something more my speed in the Player series. Fantastic neck and I don't need to feel bad about upgrading the the parts I want to since the cost was less than half of the Am Pro. I just don't see the upgrade to the Pro to be worth it for me. I can't believe what a value the player series is.

6M2hLCk.jpg

LostNomNom

TDPRI Member
I bought this beauty almost one year ago as a complete impulsive buy. I saw it at a local GC and asked the guy if they had any new ones in the back and they said yeah. Played with it for two minutes and was hooked. Bought it on the spot. I have since done a lot of modifications to it.

Here's a before picture of it:

IMG_20200718_223624_772.jpg

From what I gather it's the 2020 limited edition player Stratocaster. Neck is amazing but pickups were lacking though the bridge pickup was nice. I made a list of mods that I wanted to have done to it after owning it for about a month, and right now this is how it looks:

20201111_032305.jpg

20210422_103935.jpg

20210422_103945.jpg

Here's the list of changes made to the guitar, starting with the neck:

Fender Locking Tuners
Graphtech TUSQ XL Nut
Graphtech TUSQ String Tree
Gotoh Black Neckplate
Hipshot Knobs x 3
Bareknuckle 525k pots x3
Bareknuckle Aftermath Set with custom etching
Switchcraft jack
Gotoh/Wilkinson VS100 Tremolo

This thing plays like a monster and gets quite a monstrous metal tone too. The Aftermath set is great but personally I prefer the Ragnarok set from them. Either way, the guitar plays and feels amazing. Started to use the guitar at first for drop A and drop G riffage but currently it's in drop B. The two other drop tunings I feel like were too low for the Aftermaths to handle.

digitalMagnetics

Tele-Meister
Player Tele owner here. It's my first and only normal SS Telecaster. Honestly, it's so great, I don't think I'll ever buy another guitar. And that's coming from a dude in his 30s who has owned, um... lots of electric guitars. When playing this guitar, I can't imagine anything but diminishing returns from this point forward. I can play anything with this Tele, and it always sounds good. I never really have to fight it.

FWIW, I thought I'd upgrade it awhile back. I put an all brass Gotoh bridge on it. Ugh. Sounded like farts. Original bridge went back on.

Then I tried a 5-way wiring harness, but I had to use non-RWRP pickups for it to work. So "upgraded" to Duncan Vintage Broadcaster pickups. The extra tones on the 5-way switch were uninspiring, and the Duncan pickups sounded boring. I returned my Player Tele to the stock electronic configuration and stock pickups and have no plans to screw with them ever again!

Don't fix what ain't broke, kids.

Serious question: For those of you who have Player Teles and MIA Teles, am I really missing anything? Sonically-speaking, what could be better than this? I'm just truly astounded at how great this humble, budget-friendly two-single coil guitar sounds.

SGE1967

Tele-Meister
...and her sister!

'18 Player Series Tele with a Fender branded Bigsby B5 (with associated Callaham bridge and rollers), Texas Special pickups, fancy knobs and a treble bleed circuit.

IMG-20210702-WA0005.jpeg

Southpaw Tele

Friend of Leo's
Here’s my 2020 Player. I changed out the pickups for DiMarzios (Chopper T in the bridge position and an Area T in the neck). Nothing wrong with the stock pickups but needed to tame the 60 cycle hum. Great guitar and my number one.
2B325EBC-153C-4815-B036-AA9276FCF426.jpeg

yettoblaster

Tele-Meister
226FF569-053C-442B-B3B7-B82A0BC97F7B.jpeg

My Jazzmaster Player & Telecaster Player.
The JM humbuckers are AlNiCo II magnets, and the pull tone knob cuts the inside bridge coil: very sweet combined sound.
Tele AlNiCo V pickups plus steel block saddles make for a very authentic Telecaster sound!

Southpaw Tele

Friend of Leo's
View attachment 937624
My Jazzmaster Player & Telecaster Player.
The JM humbuckers are AlNiCo II magnets, and the pull tone knob cuts the inside bridge coil: very sweet combined sound.
Tele AlNiCo V pickups plus steel block saddles make for a very authentic Telecaster sound!
I wish Fender would put it out a Player JM in lefty. I have a Squier CV that’s fine, but I like the finish options on the Players.

yettoblaster

Tele-Meister
The color drew me to the JM every time I stepped into that store.
Not for everybody I guess. Neck looks better now with some oil on the fretboard.

The Player Plus series has some really pretty finishes.

yettoblaster

Tele-Meister
Yeah it’s different.
In a wall of guitars it jumps right out and says, “Me, ME. Buy ME!”
I resisted, but finally relented. Gotta killer deal on it too.
Mom & Pop store where I’m a regular.
Now with oil on the Laurel fretboard:

5BF56029-5373-45AB-BBAD-F3EBF281133F.jpeg

Last edited:

yettoblaster

Tele-Meister
I wish Fender would put it out a Player JM in lefty. I have a Squier CV that’s fine, but I like the finish options on the Players.

I had an older used and abused Squire JM that was stellar.
FF95BBD3-51A7-467D-A4C4-C214C551E5D3.jpeg

Also a new CV in Sonic Blue I didn’t bond with, though it was a nice enough knock off.

Last edited:

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
Just found this thread. I got my Player HH Tele in January of this year. When I opened this thread I was surprised to find some Tidepool Blue HH Teles with Maple Fretboards just like mine.

It's a great guitar. I can play it better than any other guitar I have ever had.