Player Series Club

horax

Tele-Afflicted
I picked up a players tele on thursday. Pix will be up tomorrow.

I am shocked. The pickups are WAY nicer than I expected. Better than the Vintera line by far. I bought some SD LaBrea’s before I played it because I knew I wanted them. However, it might be that I keep these in. Or maybe buy a cheap tele and put these in it. Who knows.

what are your thoughts on the pickups?

DHart

Poster Extraordinaire
I have a couple Player series Tele bodies, and a Player Series Strat neck.

I was surprised at how good the Tele Player AlNiCo pickups sound - very good! Ultimately, though, I arrived at a Cavalier Lioness pickup at the neck and a Fender CS Nocaster bridge pickup. 340k vol pot and 510k No Load tone pot. The neck is a Fender American Professional.

49683928156_cb41a53498_h.jpg

This is my other Tele Player series body - Tidepool HH with contoured back. The neck is a Fender American Special rosewood. Pickups are Gretsch Hilo'tron at the neck, and a Fender CS Strat Fat '50s at the bridge.

48873397896_8f2ddf070f_h.jpg

Obviously, these aren't "pure" Player series guitars, but I sure do enjoy these Player series bodies!

horax

Tele-Afflicted
I have a couple Player series Tele bodies, and a Player Series Strat neck.

I was surprised at how good the Tele Player AlNiCo pickups sound - very good! Ultimately, though, I arrived at a Cavalier Lioness pickup at the neck and a Fender CS Nocaster bridge pickup. 340k vol pot and 510k No Load tone pot. The neck is a Fender American Professional.

49683928156_cb41a53498_h.jpg

This is my other Tele Player series body - Tidepool HH with contoured back. The neck is a Fender American Special rosewood. Pickups are Gretsch Hilo'tron at the neck, and a Fender CS Strat Fat '50s at the bridge.

48873397896_8f2ddf070f_h.jpg

Obviously, these aren't "pure" Player series guitars, but I sure do enjoy these Player series bodies!

the neck on mine is good. Even has birds eye on it. But I’m not a fan of the C profile on them. Will probably replace with a different neck as well at some point

DHart

Poster Extraordinaire
the neck on mine is good. Even has birds eye on it. But I’m not a fan of the C profile on them. Will probably replace with a different neck as well at some point

Aside from the two Player Tele bodies, I only have one Player neck - on a Strat. It's a good neck; I like it. But I have no idea what the Tele Player necks are like.

2019 Fender Player Plus Top Strat BODY
2018 Fender Classic '60s Player Strat NECK - Pau Ferro board
Pickups are TVJones T-Armond single coils.

48931434482_c8f561d14f_b.jpg

JamesPaul

Tele-Meister

I am shocked. The pickups are WAY nicer than I expected. Better than the Vintera line by far. I bought some SD LaBrea’s before I played it because I knew I wanted them. However, it might be that I keep these in. Or maybe buy a cheap tele and put these in it. Who knows.

The Player Series A2 humbuckers in my Lead III sound good clean up thru a decent amount of gain. When split they are thin, bright and chimey. What they are short on when split is the jangle that a true single coil has. I find the same with the bridge pup in my HM Strat when split. I have a several Seymour Duncan humbuckers on the parts shelf which I could put in the Lead III, but I do not hear/have any reason to do that at this time.

DHart

Poster Extraordinaire

I agree that the Player Series AlNiCo Tele neck pickup sounds great! It likely rivals most Tele AlNiCo neck pickups out there.

(I haven't tried the Player Series bridge pickup, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it, too, sounds great.)

horax

Tele-Afflicted
I agree that the Player Series AlNiCo Tele neck pickup sounds great! It likely rivals most Tele AlNiCo neck pickups out there.

(I haven't tried the Player Series bridge pickup, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it, too, sounds great.)
My favorite is the mid position. So nice.

horax

Tele-Afflicted
Officially joined last week. Didn't post because I wanted to see if I would bond with it, or if i was a keeper.

I had an ao50 that was amazing, but sold it to fund a silver sky purchase....that purchase didn't pan out after I found one and played it and decided it wasn't worth it. Tele was gone.

sold a few other guitars to get it, as well. Wasn't happy.
Anyway, picked up a new Gibson Les Paul Standard and still needed a tele.

I prefer thick necks, but the Vintera didn't cut it. The colors are too bland and pickups are too horrible to stick with it.

Found this one for a couple hundred off street price and jumped on it. Tidepool is awesome, but impossible to photograph.

I was shocked. The pickups are AMAZING! I did order some SD LaBrea's and a 4 way switch I will be installing this weekend, but the pickups themselves are barely hotter than standard and very verstaile.

The neck, while thinner that I like, feels amazingly good! It has grown on me. I like three saddle bridges, but this one is comfortable I might not swap it out. Unsure about that.

Having played as may teles as I have through the years, I have realized that less expensive does not mean worse quality or playability. The modern elite series have thinner necks, while the older vintage ones have thicker necks. The Player Series is more modern while Vintera is more vintage style. However, the player series reminds me A LOT of the USA specials and even the USA standards pre 2012. These are much higher quality than the old MIM standards, and are as close to the USA perofrmers without hte s1 switch.

Bottom line, I am impressed with the quality...and I LOVE that hte neck showed up with birds eye maple all over it! Tried to get good pix but it was tough...trust me when I say it's covered iwth BE.

Here's the pix:

back.jpg
front1.jpg
front2.jpg
head.jpg
neck1.jpg
neck2.jpg
neck3.jpg

DHart

Poster Extraordinaire
The Players are awesome guitars, just as is they were made! With a nice improvement, coming with AlNiCo pickups.

And, they're also a great platform if you love to mod (as one or two of us here ;) seem to THRIVE on doing!) Those who know me know that none of my Teles are "stock", they're all just mutts - and this one is no exception.

I have a few Player bodies. My latest is this 2019 Tele Player, in Capri Orange. And, yes, the neck, pickups, electronics, etc. have been changed. So, as usual for me... this guitar is no pure breed; it's just another "mutt" - but I like it that way.

Neck is a 2019 Fender American Professional rosewood.

Pickups are Cavalier Lioness at the neck, and a Fender Custom Shop Nocaster at the bridge.

So, there isn't much original "Player" left here, but still... it started life as a Player, and it suits me.

49683928306_4f1af72bff_h.jpg

Last edited: