1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Player series Bridge pickup

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Audiowonderland, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have been playing the MIM Player series Tele for several months now. The sound is not the "Tele like" sound I was looking for. My Squier CVC Deluxe with a Duncan stack is much closer to the mark. The MIM feels a bit light in output and a little boomy/wooly in comparison. Is this typical of the electronics or am I hearing the wood?

I have a Duncan Broadcaster set to put in it but I have been hold off swapping them. With no previous experience with the Player series Tele's and the Broadcaster being a fatter sounding model I am thinking I may be going in the wrong direction. On one hand, having 2 Teles that sound very different from each other is a good thing. On the other, one of them doesn't sound much like a Tele at all.

What have you guys done with your Player Teles? Similar experiences?

2. Racer5

Racer5 Tele-Afflicted

I just got a player tele last week-- I love everything about it except the pickups. The playability is fantastic and it looks great!

To me the pickups are pretty "modern" sounding? for lack of a better term

I'm going to play with the pickup height a bit more, but I'm strongly considering swapping for a set of pure vintage 64 or something else similarly more vintage-voiced. Even a set of cheap tex-mex would sound more like what I would want a tele to sound like I think.

Fendereedo likes this.
  3. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

My bridge on the Player Tele was intermittantly weak. Replaced under warranty and it really woke up to sound right.

Fendereedo likes this.
  4. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

The 64s are a great set, you won't be sorry, plenty of spank.

MickM and Racer5 like this.
  5. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

To my ears the Player pickups are kind of a slightly hotter and more modern take on a vintage pickup, very similar to the Am Std ones.

6. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Interesting.. I may drop the Broadcaster set in it just to see what they do. I have been planning to use true single coils in this one, not noiseless, but I have to admit the hum cancellation aspect of the Duncan stack in the Squire has its appeal..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.