Player plus telecaster tuner swap. . . maybe . . and starting to think about some mods.

jgwcaster

Tele-Meister
So I have a player plus tele (aged candy apple red). I had it since last fall. It has been my go to ever since with my other two electric guitars cased up. That is until this last weekend. I pulled out my player series strat. Man it sounds good and is much, much, lighter than my tele.

Anyway I was looking at the tuners on my Tele and Strat and was wondering if it would be a good idea to swap them. Put the locking tuners from the player plus tele onto the player Strat and the regular tuners from the Strat onto the tele.

It would be an upgrade for the Strat and I am not sure a tele really needs locking tuners.

Thoughts? Would this swap downgrade the tele more than I realize? Should I leave the tuners on the tele and just upgrade the Strat?

I have never modded any guitar I have ever owned but am starting to think about it for the tele. The Strat has a noticeably more lively sound and I am wondering if I am hearing the difference between true single coils and noiseless pickups (ironically the tele is by far my noisiest guitar). The player plus always hums a little and the pickguard resonates with static electricity like no other.

Anyway sometimes I wonder if I would enjoy true single coils in my player plus. Would I really hear a difference? After revisiting my player Strat I am wondering even more.

I was also wondering if bridge swaps are possible, from stock to a three saddle. I would love something that fits the holes that are already there.

On the whole I am really pleased with the guitar and could easily continue to enjoy it completely stock. It is a bit heavy though.

John C

Friend of Leo's
If it were me I would just get a new set for the Strat and keep the locking tuners on the Tele because locking tuners are the spec for a Player Plus - part of the price difference between the two models. At the moment a set of Fender Deluxe locking tuners are typically $60 most places - not all that expensive. And you might be able to get them for less if you search around for them.

But the tuners are direct replacements for each other if you want to swap them out.

TunedupFlat

Tele-Meister
I'm probably going to be lazy on my newest tele project and just use the fender locking tuners that have the vintage style buttons.

As for the bridge question, I do believe the Fender vintage 3 saddle bridges and those like it are a simple bolt on operation for most of the players, and the players plus series.

_dave_

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Hi.
I’ve got a player plus tele same color, from Nov ‘21.
Love the neck and body. Loved everything until I realized I wanted a more open sound.
I swapped tuners for vintage drop-in style that have the pins like the locking tuners and are an easy swap.
Lightened the tele a bit, also. Win-win.
Then I already had a set of vintage style pickups (twisted tele neck / Broadcaster bridge) from 2014 am Std tele (I had a 2012 w/same PUs years ago and loved them).
Sound opened up with new pickups and wiring (modern)
Then I swapped out the bridge to ashtray style w/brass saddles. Wow. Twang and opened the sound up even more. Also lightened the guitar even more over all.
I just retired in another push pull like the orig wiring (messed up the orig wiring w/my horrible soldering skills)
Now it sounds and feels SO much what I’m after.
I just wish I realized what I was after BEFORE I bought a modern-style Tele.
I love the neck and body feel, and learned a lot modding it so far so, another WIN-WIN 😀
Good luck whatever you decide.
Remember, that modding can get expensive especially if yours not sure what you are after. You might keep swapping out in and endless circle and not be happy at all.
Just a caveat.
Good luck hope all turns out well.

John C

Friend of Leo's
What John C said! I’m actually swapping out my Player Tele tuners for Fender vintage Kluson style ones (with appropriate bushings).

I'm probably going to be lazy on my newest tele project and just use the fender locking tuners that have the vintage style buttons.

As for the bridge question, I do believe the Fender vintage 3 saddle bridges and those like it are a simple bolt on operation for most of the players, and the players plus series.

Hi.
I’ve got a player plus tele same color, from Nov ‘21.
Love the neck and body. Loved everything until I realized I wanted a more open sound.
I swapped tuners for vintage drop-in style that have the pins like the locking tuners and are an easy swap.
Lightened the tele a bit, also. Win-win.
Then I already had a set of vintage style pickups (twisted tele neck / Broadcaster bridge) from 2014 am Std tele (I had a 2012 w/same PUs years ago and loved them).
Sound opened up with new pickups and wiring (modern)
Then I swapped out the bridge to ashtray style w/brass saddles. Wow. Twang and opened the sound up even more. Also lightened the guitar even more over all.
I just retired in another push pull like the orig wiring (messed up the orig wiring w/my horrible soldering skills)
Now it sounds and feels SO much what I’m after.
I just wish I realized what I was after BEFORE I bought a modern-style Tele.
I love the neck and body feel, and learned a lot modding it so far so, another WIN-WIN 😀
Good luck whatever you decide.
Remember, that modding can get expensive especially if yours not sure what you are after. You might keep swapping out in and endless circle and not be happy at all.
Just a caveat.
Good luck hope all turns out well.

That's a good point - the Fender Classicgear tuners look like vintage tuners but are direct replacements for either the standard or locking tuners. These are the tuners used on the American Performer series guitars. Unfortunately for @Southpaw Tele they aren't available for left-handed guitars - assuming you're not like me and are a lefty who plays righty.

Southpaw Tele

Friend of Leo's
That's a good point - the Fender Classicgear tuners look like vintage tuners but are direct replacements for either the standard or locking tuners. These are the tuners used on the American Performer series guitars. Unfortunately for @Southpaw Tele they aren't available for left-handed guitars - assuming you're not like me and are a lefty who plays righty.
Sadly, I play lefty. 😂

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I bought a set of those (two pin split shaft with no screws) tuners and would choose them over locking tuners for any Tele the FMIC boardroom execs threw lockers on as a "feature".

As for the OP asking about true SC and ash tray bridge, ask 100 experienced players and there will be no consensus.
Though all will agree there are differences, you need to find your own preferences.

In this day and age, if you live in the US and are ambulatory, the only reason to NOT try a proper traditional Tele for a while, I cant think of one.
But unless you could only afford to buy guitars during one brief period of time, why not get another guitar?

Remove the tuners, electronics and bridge from a Tele, what is left?
Buy some cheaper parts or naybe a used Squier and then compare for yourself.
I dont personally find Squiers made today to be adequate for me mostly because they never have all the right specs. But they are fine for many and will answer your questions about bridge and pickup differences.

jgwcaster

Tele-Meister
Thanks for the replies.

I guess I will leave the locking tuners on the tele. Internet voodoo made it sound like a strong feature was their use on guitars with tremelos (I.e a Strat). I just don’t see the need for locking tuners on a tele and since I had a player Strat I thought perhaps the swap made sense.

It’s good to know the fender vintage bridge should just drop right in.

It’s still strange to me that my tele with noiseless pickups has more hum than my single coil Strat and my p90 guitar.

jgwcaster

Tele-Meister
I bought a set of those (two pin split shaft with no screws) tuners and would choose them over locking tuners for any Tele the FMIC boardroom execs threw lockers on as a "feature".

As for the OP asking about true SC and ash tray bridge, ask 100 experienced players and there will be no consensus.
Though all will agree there are differences, you need to find your own preferences.

In this day and age, if you live in the US and are ambulatory, the only reason to NOT try a proper traditional Tele for a while, I cant think of one.
But unless you could only afford to buy guitars during one brief period of time, why not get another guitar?

Remove the tuners, electronics and bridge from a Tele, what is left?
Buy some cheaper parts or naybe a used Squier and then compare for yourself.
I dont personally find Squiers made today to be adequate for me mostly because they never have all the right specs. But they are fine for many and will answer your questions about bridge and pickup differences.
So I can appreciate what you are saying about going and trying out a proper tele. To be fair last fall when I bought the player plus it was one of three tele’s in my local guitar center. The other was a custom shop model way out of my price range, the other was a surf green player series that I played and it sounded really thin and nasal (that guitar was also dropped and severely cracked and had chunks missing). The local SamAsh did not have any teles. Pre 2020 both would have had many teles to try. Maybe it’s different now but locally there were not many to test drive at the time.

TunedupFlat

Tele-Meister
For the extra 600 usd or whatever the general price is for a pro am 2 tele, even if they happened to be in stock, I'd be hard pressed to want to spend that when there are so many solid options these days.

Pic of a players tele with a 3 saddle bridge for inspiration @jgwcaster installed an hour ago
16551880037855734914709482105943.jpg

FSRCustomTeleHHGT

Tele-Meister
I'd keep the locking tuners on the Tele and buy staggered locking tuners for the Strat. I bought a Player Plus Strat neck for my Classic Player 60s body but without the stock tuners. I already had a set of the staggered Fender locking tuners and am very happy with those. The stock Player Plus locking tuners are not staggered. They are not inferior in any way to the locking Fender locking tuners used on American Fenders (of course), but they are all the same pole height, not staggered. I don't mind vintage tuners, but locking ones are just so much easier for string changes (which is funny for me to say since I literally go years without changing the strings on my guitars).

Fenderdad1950

Friend of Leo's
I have a problem with cannibalizing a Tele, especially a newer series, to save $44.00. It devalues a perfectly good guitar, so when you sell it, a red flag would go up to the buyer. My two cents worth.

Chipss36

Tele-Holic
Locking tuners on a tele? Good god man, get it together. Think my stamped steel vintage tuners keep my tele in tune to a few cents for months. If you have tuning issues, fix the nut.

John C

Friend of Leo's
Locking tuners on a tele? Good god man, get it together. Think my stamped steel vintage tuners keep my tele in tune to a few cents for months. If you have tuning issues, fix the nut.

Well the OP was talking about his Player Plus Tele, which comes with them from the factory, and he was thinking of taking them off the Tele and putting them on his Player Strat. If a Tele came from the factory with locking tuners I wouldn't remove them; I would keep it stock even though I prefer the vintage-type split post tuners.

These days if I were to get a Player series Strat or Tele or an American Professional II Strat or Tele I would likely replace the standard tuners with the Classicgear split-post tuners like on my American Performer Tele - I just don't get along with standard tuners, particularly the Fender type like is on the American Pro II with the 2 tall/4 short posts.