Player Grade vs Collectible Vintage

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stanford Guitar, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Meister

Curious people's thoughts on this. I'm in the Tim Pierce camp, I like player grade vintage guitars. I don't collect guitars I play them and am constantly buying and selling. Player grades are much cheaper and usually the changes that devalue them improve the playability and overall sound of the guitar. I've played lots of pristine vintage guitars, most of them not that great, I prefer mongrels.

VWAmTele, kuvash, Greggorios and 3 others like this.
  2. Stanford Guitar

Now this is players grade!

elihu and Fendereedo like this.
  3. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Holic

I don’t get the idea of guitars as an investment. I’m sure it could pay off In the long run, but who wants to hang onto an awesome guitar for fifty years and not play it.

that and the fact that what gives old guitars their cool vibe is that they’ve been played and the wood has been acclimated you it’s use by millions of little vibrations from the strings.

4. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Meister

I heard and never know if it's TRUE , most of the collectable vintage stuff is in the hands of none players, the Japanese were named as largest group of non playing collectors

5. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

This is why I buy player grade. ‘52 and ‘66 Tele, ‘56 and ‘63 Strat. All refinished. Biggest other changes are the ‘52 Tele is refretted and has a ’60s bridge pickup, while the ‘63 Strat has a mix of pickups. All four guitars play and sound phenomenal. Average cost per guitar was about $1500.

If I’d bought them to sell as an investment I’d have made way more money buying all-original. But I bought them to play for the rest of my life, so I went for most guitar for the money, and I think that’s what I got. I like them as well as nearly any original I’ve played, and that includes Jeff Beck’s ‘54 Esquire and Duane Allman’s ‘54 Strat.

rze99, gimmeatele, Greggorios and 8 others like this.
  6. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

“Everything I have is a farm implement”.

I say that pretty regularly and it means if I own it I intend to use it.
    No collectibles lying around here.

7. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

All my vintage stuff is players grade for sure.

All of guitars/basses were bought WAY less than wholesale, or what (Sam Ash, Guitar Center or any music store would buy a used piece for.)

I'm one to wait for an amazing deals on good used pieces that play and sound great, and that's when I'll purchase one.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    mkdaws32 likes this.
  8. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

They’re fun to look at, but I don’t think about buying vintage guitars, period; you guys can have em all.

They make lotsa good guitars these days.

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. Stanford Guitar

Lots of great new guitars being made today. I have my cake and eat it too, a new Kirn made from 150 year old wood!

55F0128F-0C6A-4507-AC56-F774C1590D13_1_105_c.jpeg

4B086171-B55B-48FB-85C0-BE1110FCCBB7_1_105_c.jpeg 2FDD0944-0CC3-4A27-829F-247CB899D3F3_1_105_c.jpeg

10. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

...stuffed and mounted as I call it.....no better way to ruin an instrument,they need to be exercised!

11. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Tele-Meister

Play it, beat it, love it.

12. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have some very nice guitars. I play them all, but I also take very good care of them. I won't realize anything from them but perhaps my grand kid might.

13. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Meister

If I won the lottery (if I ever bought a ticket) I could see buying some truly collectible guitars, but I wouldn't be buying them to sell them later at a profit. The idea of not playing them goes against the whole idea of owning a guitar. It would be like buying a book but not reading it.

Bill and Stanford Guitar like this.
  14. Stanford Guitar

I've never understood the idea that someone can pickup a guitar for the first time and know if it's a good or bad copy. That's why I think basing value on year is questionable, from a sound/playability standpoint. For me, the first play is really just a ballpark idea. Number 1 it has to have the right neck shape, and this is different for everyone. Then the neck has to be uniform and the frets have to be finished right. The pickups have to have the sound I'm looking for. Then the setup really determines how "good" it is: saddle radius, nut slotted, pickup height, neck relief, intonation etc. The other thing that I find dramatically changes the tone of the guitar is string thickness and pick type. If I use 11's and a thick pick, I can get an entirely different sound than 9s and a very thin pick, etc. Lastly, I have to feel good playing it.

15. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Stanford, my experience was I’d played Fenders in stores for 15 years. Never cared for them. Even bought a new Strat and blah.

Then I played a ‘56 and thought, “So this is why people like them.” And I bought it on the spot. Same with Teles. And same with old acoustics. The sound was markedly different to me. And no I don’t have golden ears.

Also, I don’t require it to be vintage. One of the best Strats I’ve played and heard is my hardtail Squier Bullet that was $70 new in 2007. So yeah, lots of good guitars at lots of price points.

Stanford Guitar likes this.
  16. Stanford Guitar

I keep dialing in the new Kirn Tele and I'm getting the Hendrix grunts and groans on it like I never have on any other guitar. The harmonics on this guitar are pretty awesome and I'm just really getting started with it.

17. Stanford Guitar

You know it might be attrition. The bad vintage guitars got discarded over the years and the good ones have stuck around!

Bill likes this.
  18. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Stanford Guitar likes this.
  19. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have a late 60s Tele modded for vintage Wide Range humbuckers.

I also have a beat up early 70s Tele Custom.

Being “player grade” made them affordable and makes me not afraid to play them out.

I’m also lucky enough to have a ‘17 AV ‘52 and an AV ‘69 Thinline.

All are amazing guitars. All roughly the same cost. All play wonderfully and sound superb.

I’m not gonna lie. There’s just a little something extra with the vintage ones. They play so effortlessly and the pickups sound amazing.

The vintage ones (especially the ‘73) are tracked all over our latest album. The studio hasn’t mixed it yet, but even the scratch tracks when we are doing vocals sound unreal. So, so good.

20. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Yup, they are all tools...no good if not used.

985plowboy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.