Player Duo Sonic SS owners: Does the middle position sound out of phase on yours?

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
I've been playing clean lately, and with the Duo Sonic the middle pickup position sounds tinny and out of phase. Pretty sure it's not supposed to. I don't know why I never noticed it before, TBH.

While we're at it, what's your opinion of the pickups? I really like how spiky the bridge pickup gets, but the neck pickup doesn't have much bass or "warmth" like a neck pickup should have.

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
Which model do you have?

I have a '93 MIM reissue and it doesn't sound like that. In fact, the middle position is probably my favorite.

ponycar

Tele-Meister
When I wired my latest putting an old SD vintage '57 Strat, (not sure actual name of it many years ago) in the neck, and a DiMarco area 67 in the bridge, I inadvertently wired them out of phase and it was not good. I corrected that and all is well. They sound good with Strat pickups but amp settings are a challenge for some reason. B string can sound thin on the Dimarzio.

Blues Twanger

Tele-Afflicted
They are not supposed to be out of phase with each other.

FYI if you are going to replace them my secret sauce for the Offset Series/Player Duo Sonics and Mustangs is a DiMarzio True Velvet in the neck position and a Red Velvet at the bridge. It's a sweet and snarky single coil combo that sounds great in all three positions.

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
When I replaced the pickguard, the pickups sounded "off." Middle position sounded out of phase and all the "spike" was gone from the bridge pickup. I removed the pickguard and rotated the pots because it looked as though one had shifted in a way that caused a wire to touch another. That seems to have resolved the issue.

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
They are not supposed to be out of phase with each other.

FYI if you are going to replace them my secret sauce for the Offset Series/Player Duo Sonics and Mustangs is a DiMarzio True Velvet in the neck position and a Red Velvet at the bridge. It's a sweet and snarky single coil combo that sounds great in all three positions.
Thanks, I wasn't even aware of these. I like the description I read of the True Velvet. They're Strat pickups...did they fit without any problem in your Duo Sonic? And were you able to use the stock pickup covers over them?

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
I've been playing clean lately, and with the Duo Sonic the middle pickup position sounds tinny and out of phase. Pretty sure it's not supposed to. I don't know why I never noticed it before, TBH.

While we're at it, what's your opinion of the pickups? I really like how spiky the bridge pickup gets, but the neck pickup doesn't have much bass or "warmth" like a neck pickup should have.
Sounds like a call to the Doctor Seymour is in order? I mean it's only money😄

Blues Twanger

Tele-Afflicted
Thanks, I wasn't even aware of these. I like the description I read of the True Velvet. They're Strat pickups...did they fit without any problem in your Duo Sonic? And were you able to use the stock pickup covers over them?
I did not use the original covers, I like the look of the exposed poles like a strat on mine.

I don't remember what the Duo Sonic looks like under the hood but on the Mustang the bridge pickup needed to have a little more room on the bridge side under the pickguard as the stock pickup was installed with the triangle of the base facing inwards, whereas the stagger of the Red Velvet necessitated it being installed facing the bridge. For me this was nothing a chisel couldn't solve but are a couple of other ways around this: one can order the pickup from DiMarzio with flat poles so it won't matter, or one can order it with reverse stagger so it can be mounted 'backwards' in the opening and still have the correct stagger.

If you order the flat poles for both you could use the covers the Duo Sonic came with and retain the look, they will just fit a little high while installing, nothing visible once complete.

Last edited: