1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Player, Collector, or Gearhead

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DekeDog, Feb 21, 2021.

Player, Collector, or Gearhead?

1. 1) Player

30 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. 2) Collector

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  3. 3) Gearhead

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  4. 4) Player and Collector

17 vote(s)
    13.2%
  5. 5) Collector and Gearhead

3 vote(s)
    2.3%
  6. 6) Player and Gearhead

57 vote(s)
    44.2%
  7. 7) All of the Above

20 vote(s)
    15.5%
  1. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

You can come over here and sit on the “Group W Bench” with me and Arlo.

stepvan, McGlamRock and Axegrinder77 like this.
  2. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Player
    Repairer
    Builder
    Flipper

3. markal

markal Tele-Holic

Player and gearhead. I have no interest in collecting anything. I hate too much clutter. It is fun to try new stuff, but I sell much of what I buy if I ain’t using it much. And it’s all in service of getting sounds that inspire for actual playing (or writing).

My mom is an obsessive collector. I’m glad I did not inherent that trait.

4. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Friend of Leo's

I'm basically a player who is only interested in gear that I play and that adds something to what I can do.

That sounds rather pompous so I will confess to owning a couple of duplicate guitars and another couple that won't ever get played lots but interested me.

But even if I won the lottery I don't think I'd ever become a collector.

5. drewg

drewg Tele-Meister

And ‘unskilled players on a budget afflicted with a connection (syndrome) to certain guitars and have managed to acquire a few.’

irie likes this.
  6. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Player, collector (though I'm really a banjo player/collector). I have made a Tele body from scratch...that's a start as a builder.

P Thought likes this.
  7. Ydwen Jones

Ydwen Jones Tele-Meister

Player with rather poor skills, not enough stuff or resources to be a collector, not enough knowledge to be a gearhead and I leave the tinkering to a guitar tech I know.:)

P Thought, drewg and DekeDog like this.
  8. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

Player, gear head, and have a collection of guitars/basses,amps, but not a collector.

Seeking out and purchasing good quality used gear for Killer prices is my hobby.

Flaneur, P Thought and Torren61 like this.
  9. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I love playing, but I like a few bits of gear now and then. So, player and gearhead.

Deathray, RobRiggs and Torren61 like this.
  10. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Completely agree. Is anyone here a "glass case collector"? If you are, good on you for preserving the history, craftsmanship and art of musical instruments. We NEED people like you. If we played ALL the '59 Les Paul bursts until they were junk, we wouldn't have any left to lust after.

I "collect" gear as in, I have much more gear than I could play if I didn't have a job and played every day. In my mind, I'm doing multiple things. I'm satisfying the desire to own gear that my music heroes used when they were top of my list of artists, I'm getting the chance to try out new/different gear I haven't played before, I'm acquiring quality instruments that have intrinsic value, I'm not spending my disposable income on things like drugs or gambling, I'm educating myself on gear, I'm building a COLLECTION of instruments and gear that span a segment of gear representative of that used on my favorite recordings, I'm also building a legacy of gear that will be passed down to my descendants.

As one can see, it touched a nerve with me about the "collector" part. No, I probably don't play as well as you. I don't play out in a band, pre-pandemic, like you did. Yes, your cat probably plays better than me. Yes, I AM worthy of owning what I own despite those truths.

P Thought, Deathray, Rocky058 and 3 others like this.
  11. RobRiggs

RobRiggs Tele-Meister

An enthusiast? :)

12. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I've always loved to play the guitar and I gig a fair amount...

( small potatoes, local, but 30 years + now)

...and therefore, always have skewed gear purchases towards whatever I may need for electric and acoustic playing. " Don't buy anything that you won't use for gigs!" is my rule.

But now it seems I am collecting a bit, and definitely crossed from 'necessities,' to 'options'!

It's all cheap stuff:
    small combo amps ( small gigs!), and different effects and dirt pedals to go with them.

For guitars, no duplicates anymore ( though I want a 2nd Strat), so much as a 'want one of each' approach...
    Don't have many now, but I definitely have some specific guitars on my mind- little by little, once again cheap!

Next up, maybe:
    a Jazzmaster (style), a Tele Thinline, an LP Special P-90. nylon string ( w/cutaway and pickup)

P Thought likes this.
  13. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Valid points all. Except that you probably do play better than I do. Certainly better than my cat. When I referred to “glass-case collectors” I chose my words poorly. I only really have a problem with “collecting” when the motivation is monetary, rather than musical. And when I say musical, it has nothing to do with the ability of the owner to play; if you own a guitar because it is identical to the one your favourite guitarist uses/used, that’s a musical motivation, regardless of how it sounds when you play it. If you own a guitar because you think five or ten years from now you will make a significant ROI, you bore me. Nothing wrong with financial interest, but I don’t think it should be the prime motivation, and I doubt that it is for the majority of TDPRIers.

stepvan and Torren61 like this.
  14. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

All of the above, though "collector" is definitely the most recent addition. I play everything, but get more attracted to older, all-original stuff or limited edition newer stuff. I have a nice collection of '80s G&Ls now, few great pre-EB Music Mans, and even a pre-CBS Fender. I also have a G&L Launch Edition instrument that is one of fewer than 20 made, and a truly one-of-a-kind G&L prototype (as well as an old '80s G&L that was one of 24 made). I get a kick out these things being so rare and so good. That said, I don't "collect" anything that I don't think is a great instrument that I can actually use. Maybe that's the next stage! :D

RobRiggs and Torren61 like this.
  15. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

I love guitars and amps, and try to be knowledgeable about them.

I’d rather play than tweak knobs though, and I hate shopping, even for gear. My newest guitar is 10 years old, the last amp I bought is probably 15. Pedal, is somewhere in that range.
    I have paid for service on gear in the interim though- gotta keep them in good shape!

Torren61 likes this.
  16. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Player and gearhead.
    Not that great at either, mind you.

If I were rich, I'd be all 3. I'm way too frugal to spend more for an old collectable than an old proven piece or something new made specifically for me.... so maybe I'd be a lousy collector?

I think I was a better player with fewer guitars. More related to hours spent at work than how many I owned though.

Torren61 likes this.
  17. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Again, agreed. However, even money-motivated collectors are part of the "food chain" and serve an important purpose and like it or loathe it, they are a benefit to our passion... guitars and the periphery.

18. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Afflicted

I see myself as a player, but given the number of instruments, amps, pedals and other stuf I own, I'm probably also a gearhead.
    Maybe i'm a PLAYER with capital letters and a gearhead, because I'm not good a player as I want to be....

19. Old Smokey

Old Smokey Tele-Meister

Player and more of a gearhead than I’d like to admit. My gear collection is only modest because I’ve sold a lot of stuff.

20. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Player and gear head.

The inventory went up and up for awhile and now it’s going down. Not a collector, but I’m not a hall monitor for other people’s choices and folks who scurry about virtue signaling their integrity, well, ok. That’s their choice as well.

I like learning about guitars and amps and that’s one of the reasons I hang out here. It’s not all that complicated.

P Thought and Rocky058 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.