1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Player, Collector, or Gearhead

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DekeDog, Feb 21, 2021.

Player, Collector, or Gearhead?

1. 1) Player

30 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. 2) Collector

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  3. 3) Gearhead

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  4. 4) Player and Collector

17 vote(s)
    13.2%
  5. 5) Collector and Gearhead

3 vote(s)
    2.3%
  6. 6) Player and Gearhead

57 vote(s)
    44.2%
  7. 7) All of the Above

20 vote(s)
    15.5%
  1. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

@jrblue Here's a few more things I added since I took those pics. And, btw, I worked my butt off for every piece of gear in these pictures. Nearly everything is an overtime trophy.

D62B8839-750A-475A-BE03-190202CEB2BC_1_105_c.jpeg 168ED828-CD79-48DD-893F-10DCAD89F85A_1_105_c.jpeg 8B69F1AC-2181-4C55-AD74-0455BB97155F_1_105_c.jpeg B195C99B-BA94-4FC4-9C16-2B09A19CF779_1_105_c.jpeg 14512364-A815-4E9F-BCE4-E7DCFA8D0798_1_105_c.jpeg

0A087578-EA68-46C7-95F3-5AC3247738EC_1_105_c.jpeg
    176F2D52-7FAE-4FBD-8752-AD0A6501A9EC.jpeg

Delara84, stepvan, Deathray and 4 others like this.
  2. Torren61

Here's another. My '65 Princeton Reverb is still in the shop and my Otis amp is still being built.

C4EA60B9-78C9-4401-814D-7B38D9283798.jpeg

3. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Meister

People who check “player” only on a gear oriented site are the ones that play in the opening act and never stay to watch the headliner.

They are also 85% more likely to blame the drummer when they play like crap.

Fretting out, Blue Bill and Torren61 like this.
  4. Torren61

I just don't see the issue of being someone who plays a bit, tinkers a bit and collects a bit. I mean, I have a job that pays for my habit. Unfortunately, I work so much overtime that I don't get to play as much as I wish I could. I also don't have a whole lot of talent, so there's that.

When I was a kid, I didn't have the money to buy the gear I wanted. I do now. Why would anyone "greatly dislike" me for that?

Delara84, SASouth, stepvan and 5 others like this.
  5. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Not good enough to be a player, not rich enough to be a collector, too dumb to be a gear head... Hmm where does that leave me?

6. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

A very average Player and a Gear Head who loves attempting to make music and to own cool guitars and amps.

I settled on Les Pauls, Stratocaster’s, and Telecasters as my must ha e guitars (currently 3 Fenders and 3 Gibson’s) as my must-have guitars. Amps of choice are Marshall’s and SF or BF Fender combos. I would like to maybe pick up a vintage Mark 1 Mesa Boogie some day.

I’ve learned what I like the hard way ($’s) but I’ve got to own and play a lot of cool gear over the last 15 years.

Currently I am an at-home player that would love to get another band going and play out occasionally throughout the year. That is, once life gets more somewhat back to normal.

Delara84 and Torren61 like this.
  7. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Meister

70% player
    20% gearhead
    10% collector

Collector would have a higher percentage if I could afford to be a collector.

Tele-friend and Torren61 like this.
  8. tanplastic

tanplastic Tele-Holic

Doesn't "player" mean anyone that plays more than tinkers or shops?

Torren61 likes this.
  9. RobRiggs

RobRiggs Tele-Meister

All of the above, and I build 3 or 4 solid body guitars and bass guitars a year. Keeps me out of trouble and off the streets ;)

Delara84, Torren61 and Fiesta Red like this.
  10. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

I picked Player and Gearhead because there was no option for Hack and Gearhead. I have more instruments than I need, but I own them because I want to play them. I don’t have a problem with someone collecting, if it’s not taking food out of the mouths of pets or children. Not a fan of glass-case collecting, but whatever. Do I succumb to urges to buy gear that I don’t need? Yeah. But if I can’t get any use out of it, it moves on.

Deathray, Torren61 and Fiesta Red like this.
  11. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Holic

I'm a mediocre player, with a collection of guitars and amps that ranges from cheap to vintage. I fix stuff if it breaks, but I have a guy nearby who does very good work and for cheap. So less tinkering.

Torren61 and Fiesta Red like this.
  12. Buckaroo65

Buckaroo65 Tele-Holic

Down here with the rest of us, I guess.

13. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

I thought I was a gearhead 'til I joined this sight. I am an amateur.

Deathray, Torren61 and Fiesta Red like this.
  14. Mark617

Mark617 TDPRI Member

I consider myself a hack. I play in my home. But I’ve found I have guitar and amp envy. I’m trying to find things I like and will hold on to

Deathray and Torren61 like this.
  15. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

I buy the stuff so I can get the sounds I need from just one amp. Other guitars are necessary because each one does something a little different, and if you break a string you really need another guitar to go too.

Torren61 and Fiesta Red like this.
  16. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Guilty on all counts your honor. I think my "collection" would be considered meager by real collectors; maybe it's just that I hate to sell anything, once I get attached to it.

Flaneur, P Thought, Delara84 and 2 others like this.
  17. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I’m a player in the sense that I play everything I own, and I write, record and perform (when it is possible) with the various pieces of gear I own.

I am a gearhead in that I like the history of certain pieces of gear—who made it, when did they make it, who used/uses it, etc.—as well as keeping up with new gear—especially something that more easily/accurately replicates a classic/vintage sound or a sound in my head.

I sometimes think I have too much gear until I look at other people’s guitarsenal/amp herd and then I generally feel fairly balanced, because I rotate gear and play everything I own—some pieces more than others, but if I’m not playing it, I generally sell it/pass it on.

I don’t think I could ever be a collector—besides reasons of poverty, buying a piece and keeping it under glass is abhorrent to me. If I own it, I’ll use it. If I’m afraid to use it (too rare or valuable), I wouldn’t enjoy owning it.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    P Thought, Delara84 and Torren61 like this.
  18. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Meister

Likeable I would presume.

19. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

Long time Player with limited skill & absolutely a Gear Junkie. I have gone through & have way more stuff than could ever be made sense of.

I think I'm currently at 29 guitars plus enough parts to build a few more which is down from 35 a couple years ago. It is my goal to have less & in the last couple years there's been a deliberate attempt to have more quality vs quantity, so I have plans to sell at least 5 more guitars in the near-ish future. Some of the guitars I've bought lately may have me dipping a toe into the collector realm. My definition of a collector differs from the O.P.'s in that I consider a collector to be someone who has things they intend use sparingly (if at all) in order to preserve them. I won't own a guitar I won't play, but not every guitar is going to be used with the band.

That being said I also have a few guitars I've begun building from scratch. If I ever finish those I'll have more cuts to make.

Torren61 likes this.
  20. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Player and gearhead with more emphasis on one or the other through my life. Right now I'm seriously playing but then I've redone my sound completely in the last year too so I guess I'm peaking at both. As far as collecting, I've got some decent stuff but it won't have collector value for another 30 years. I guess I don't buy on "collectability".

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    Torren61 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.