Player’s series needs new saddles. Need help

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by maverick-tx, Jan 27, 2020.

1. maverick-tx

maverick-tx TDPRI Member

996137C3-8033-4861-9FB8-59A2BA3A339A.jpeg Hey all, been away for a while but just picked up a Player’s Series Tele. It’s got the bent steel saddles and, while it’s a GREAT player which is why I bought it, these saddles are definitely an issue when changing strings and I think they are producing some harsh overtones in the bridge pickup position not to mention they feel unsettled when trying to intonate. They just seem all over the place as I’m watching the tuner. I think it’s the unwanted harmonics due to the saddles. Anyway, I found 6 brass saddles I can get from eBay for $32 OR Would it be better going Kluson or Gotoh modern? I can get both with brass saddles but the Gotoh baseplate is brass as well but it’s thick and I don’t want to run into setup issues. Anyone have experience with this that can help me narrow it down. Thanks 996137C3-8033-4861-9FB8-59A2BA3A339A.jpeg

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. maverick-tx

maverick-tx TDPRI Member

E2644F89-6142-42A8-8E4E-3319DADD89BF.png D1AEC830-F1D6-4FB2-9B54-A10904CC9BEF.png These are the options I’m looking at. 4F297FEB-12B3-448C-BF2F-9061D1C40AB5.png

3. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

If you want a freebie, I believe Fender has redesigned the saddles and will replace them if you either go to an authorized service center or contact Fender and have them send the saddles to you.

lewbypls, nojazzhere and maverick-tx like this.
  4. SithTracy

SithTracy TDPRI Member

maverick-tx likes this.
  5. mschafft

mschafft TDPRI Member

The issue also sounds like your pickups might be too close to the strings.

nojazzhere and maverick-tx like this.
  6. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Agreed - the OP should take it to a dealer or service center to get the free replacements. Further some of these early Player Teles with the bent steel saddles also have misdrilled bodies - my first Player Tele was like this - which will necessitate the entire guitar being replaced as just changing the saddles won't fix the issues; the service center can take the measurements to make sure that replacing the saddles will correct the issue.

@maverick-tx - those brass saddles you listed won't fix the issue since the main problem is that the saddles are not long enough to not cover the hole in the bridge plate and allow enough travel to properly intonate the guitar. The replacement bridges would be a better choice - again assuming the guitar's body was misdrilled.

7. maverick-tx

maverick-tx TDPRI Member

Definitely could be. I wasn’t quite to that point of my setup yet so I’ll be checking it out now. Good suggestion.

mschafft likes this.
  8. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

This discussion makes me very happy that my Player series is a strat rather than a tele. This is a problem I'll never have to deal with on my 09 MIM standard or Kirn teles...

9. KT89

KT89 Tele-Meister

I have a gotoh modern on my tele, replacing the solid steel saddles and bridge plate it came with (03 MIM std). The bridge definitely killed harsh overtones but I was unprepared for how different the guitar sounded afterward. I like it a lot more now.

10. hollowman

hollowman Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

did you say you are having difficulties tuning as well? in addition to the saddles, might check the nut while you are at it, could be grabbing a bit..

maverick-tx likes this.
  11. maverick-tx

maverick-tx TDPRI Member

Ive dressed the nut and there is no binding. When trying to intonate, the tuner never will settle. Just bounces around depending on string oscillation. There is even some movement as the note decays. This leads me to believe that there are some weird harmonic overtones going on. More than normal. I can hear it too. Does it whether using neck or middle pickup. Pickups are lower than spec so not too close to strings. I think I can confidently conclude that it’s the saddles.

This is my 5th Tele so I know pretty much where things should be tone wise, also understanding that every guitar is different.

12. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

A Gotoh modern bridge will make ANY Tele "sound" better IMHO opinion,it balances the overall tone,fattens up the plinky plain strings and still retains the twang.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.