1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Played today with no pedals

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by telekaster1999, Jul 22, 2012.

1. telekaster1999

telekaster1999 Tele-Meister

I play in our church band and this morning had too plug straight into my amp instead of through my pedals. I had a patch cable acting up and didn't have time too find the bad one. I sorta like it. Just saying.

2. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Tele-Afflicted

I did a gig recently, and went "commando" - armed only with a tele and pathfinder 15R - it is good to do this once in a while - it gets you out of your element and you are forced to think a bit differently. good stuff. Volume, reverb and vibrato.... just like back in the day...

good for you though. What is there to not like?

3. mal paso

mal paso Banned

That's crazy talk!:lol:

4. bossking7

bossking7 Tele-Afflicted

Haha +1

5. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

Well...is commando really reverb and trem? :confused:

6. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's

I go back and forth. Love the straight tone but I will really miss the left side of my FD-2 and I do like my echo, tremolo, and Tuner pedal. I have a bunch of other pedals but they are mostly window dressing.

7. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Tele-Afflicted

If your amp has it, why not use it? The older "modern" tube amps incorporated those effects, so why not? Seems OK to me....

BUT - does that mean my uber-over-accessorized SS amp with a Kajillion tweakable on board effects and floorboard is going commando?

The jury do be out on 'dat, yo......

Here come the judge.....

[​IMG]

8. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

I like pedals, but I do get a better clean sound from plugging straight into the amp. It depends on the band and the gig, I suppose.

9. ADinNYC

ADinNYC Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Insane!

10. Pants

Pants Tele-Meister

I feel pretty much the same way. Being the singer in the band sometimes makes it hard for me to do my effects tapdance in the middle of a song- sometimes I just enjoy the no-hassle simplicity of playing straight into the amp. But on the other hand the pedals add a lot to the band's sound, even if using them comes at the price of losing total focus on singing/playing.

11. Gringo13

Gringo13 Tele-Holic

I love plugging straight into my tweeds, but when I'm playing a show, I always use my tuner and volume pedal. I could get by without the volume pedal, but it does help me out quite a bit. When I used a DRRI, I would have never thought about gigging without reverb, trem, and a drive pedal. I feel like playing without pedals makes me a better player because I have to utilize pick attack techniques and guitar knobs. Love it!

12. Gringo13

Gringo13 Tele-Holic

Agreed, but I've never liked stepping on pedals during my vocals. I do, however, roll the guitar knobs during vocals. I think it's much easier and less distracting.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.