played through my 1987X last night and had a thought

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tamer_of_banthas, May 17, 2020.

1. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Holic

hey ya'll,

as much as i like playing older style circuits, lately i've been wondering if it might be time to upgrade my amp to something quieter and more modern, electronics wise.

i still want to stay all tube but the marshall is just so noisy. i'm getting tons of hiss and pop out of the thing. and i have grown weary of constantly servicing it. also the effects loop sucks! i would definitely consider it a bonus if the next amplifier has a better effects loop.

my only other criteria for the new amp would be that it has that tighter marshall style bass response. a Fender twin reverb or a deluxe probably would not work for my style of music. can't have the spongy bass thing happening.

i heard good things about blackstar, but i have not read much about their build quality, physically speaking. i'm pretty hard on my equipment so i need something that can take the punishment of being moved around a lot.

has anyone else on the forum went on a similar quest lately? again, i'm hoping to stay somewhat within the arena of the classic EL34 marshall sound, but it does not need to be any particular brand. i would even consider higher gain options or channel switching as long as the clean sounds are not trash.

any advice?

2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

No spongy bass in a Twin Reverb that I'm aware of, a reason I don't like them much... wish they had a little less edge to the attack.

Maybe it's a closed cab sound you like? Although to my ears "spongy, compressed" is what a closed cab is!

At any rate, semantics aside:
    Matchless made some EL34 amps. Clubman I think.
    Hmmm... Bad Cat?

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  3. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Is it an actual Marshall, or a clone? I can't see why a properly built amp that is less than 20 years old should make any popping or hissing unless your tubes are bad. Even "modern" tube amps use tubes.

Now, passive effects loops are all horrible. Make sure your new amp has an active effects loop, or get you something like a Ceriatone C-lator to use in your passive loop.

More modern designs should give you some years of trouble-free service, but when they need repairs or service, whooeee, they're a pain in the... Also, they need tubes.

4. tamer_of_banthas

i can confirm it is a real Marshall. i believe the 1987Xs use a PCB, and are not hand wired. the amp is about 18 or 19 years old. filter caps - same, never changed. tubes are pretty close to brand spanking new. just had this thing retubed in June 2019. i guess it's possible the filter caps are going bad? i honestly have no idea.

5. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Holic

Suhr Badger- various wattage iterations. Awesome amps.

tah1962 and tamer_of_banthas like this.
  6. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

Are you no longer pleased with the tone of the Marshall? Because that just sounds to me like that amp needs serviced, which is likely to set you back a fraction of a new amp unless you shoot low on the replacement.

Rufus, Paul G. and tamer_of_banthas like this.
  7. tamer_of_banthas

not exactly dissatisfied with the marshall sound per se, but getting a little burnt out on it maybe? i've been getting curious about vox, hiwatt, and morgan amps.

8. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Marshall SV20 head or combo. Basically a 4 input split channel Marshall. Mini 1959

https://marshall.com/marshall-amps/products/amps/studio/sv20h

Or SC20 JCM800 style.

https://marshall.com/marshall-amps/products/amps/studio/sc20h

Made in Bletchley UK.

I had the Mini Jubilee now sold as the Studio Jubilee 20. Great amp.

9. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Holic

Since you mention Vox and Morgan, now I'm going to suggest Winfield Amps. Check him out. Hand built here in AZ and an old friend of Muchxs.

10. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

Ah, well then the noise could be a sign, then. I'm a big Mesa fan, personally. If you want that more British thing going on, the Stilleto series would scratch that itch for you pretty well. They're out of production, but last I saw, they go at pretty decent prices on the used market.

11. tamer_of_banthas

i was just looking at a stiletto last month on reverb. i know the mesa build quality is pretty high so i would definitely consider them. thanks for the recommendation

Cysquatch likes this.
  12. tamer_of_banthas

never heard of! i'll look them up now. thank you

13. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Not to be the pill here, but Vox and HiWatt are pretty old designs. Morgan amps are all based on slightly modified classic designs.

BTW: I don't think you need an excuse if you want a new amp. Go for it!

14. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Holic

Look into the old Mesa Boogie Stilettos, THD Flexi 50, or even something like a Yamaha THR100H if all you want is simple, good tone.

Cysquatch and tamer_of_banthas like this.
  15. Luthier Vandros

Luthier Vandros Tele-Holic

This. Winnie not only builds beautiful amps, he’s also been an amazing resource on the net for guys like me going back ages. You can prob even find some of his contributions on the old ampage archives.

16. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Holic

I've heard some very nice sounds coming out of Blackstar amps. I think you should try a few, if you can.

17. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

Chuck some KT66's in the 1987x before you do anything silly & Marshalls need a buffered pedal in the loop.... it's just the nature of the beast.

18. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Holic

You mention constantly servicing it, yet it's got it's original filter caps? Tubes can make a difference, but if they weren't the issue, they're just... a new set of tubes. If you get her dialed in the noises it's making might be gone. Also I've had some good luck w swapping the first preamp tube for a specifically low noise one which helped a lot. At the very least, you already have that 50 watt Marshall issue covered, so if you unload it out of frustration you're bound to regret it.

That said, if you want another sound and you have the money, get another amp! I have been jonesing for the Friedman JJ Jr... I've never owned an EL84 amp, they sound killer, they're small, only 1500-1600 clams. I owe it to myself, right?

19. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Holic

20. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

My MiniJube was a great amp - I sold it only because I settled on my Superchamp for rehearsals and small gigs. The SJ was difficult to rein in at times.

Plus I have a 83 4210 that's actually similar but a bit more versatile if I need a big gig amp. And quirky. Really high quality bits, good construction, lovely build in the SJ.

I'm keeping eyes peeled for a used SC or SV 20 watt EL34s in cathode bias and efficient speaker - perfect size too with single 10.

All the reviews say - just like a Blues breaker or JCM800, but perfect size for modern gigs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.