Played The New Broadcaster Today-Update

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Joe M, Feb 13, 2020.

1. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

I think weight is a consideration nowadays because the guitar playing demographic is aging, & prefers a lighter axe. My '74 P-bass is so heavy, I can only play 1 set before I gotta grab a barstool to play the remaining 3.
    Anyway; 2 large is way too much for a new production non-Custom Shop guitar.

NewKid likes this.
  2. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

Nacho lists weights from 6.2lb to 9.5lb in The Blackguard Book.

boris bubbanov and Crobbins like this.
  3. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Custom shop Nocasters have been the gamut of various weights over the years.
    I 've handled from 6.4 to 9 or so lbs. It just seems odd as one would think a high end
    model would have bodies weighed into a lower max limit that would at least result in
    no more than 7.7 lbs.

Crobbins likes this.
  4. EllenGtrGrl

EllenGtrGrl Tele-Holic

I just found out about these an hour ago. I thought, "cool! I can finally get a Broadcaster that doesn't cost a million bucks!" I played a CS Nocaster reissue a few years ago, and I loved it, but the price was waaay over what I could afford at the time (I would have had to sell or trade all of my other guitars in order to buy it), so I sadly passed on it.

After reading all of the comments, and seeing the Trogly's Guitar vid on YouTube about 70th Anniversary Broadcaster a short time ago, I'm beginning to think that if I want something like the CS Nocaster I tried out, I'm just going to have to pony up for a real CS Nocaster. The 70th Anniversary Broadcaster doesn't have the super chunky neck that original Broadcasters, Nocasters, and CS Nocasters have, that I liked so much on the CS Nocaster I tried out. It also doesn't come stock with the blend circuit that the Broadcasters, Nocasters, early Teles, and CS Nocasters have (if you specify it when you order the guitar) - no you get a "blend circuit conversion kit" (like you get with 52 'Tele reissues), that consists of a single resistor, and a wiring diagram. Come on!!! I can probably get the resistor needed out of my electronics junk box, and blend circuit wiring diagrams can be found online. I can live with the weight (hey the 1980 Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion I gigged with in the 13 lbs!). The apparent fragility of the finish is a cause for concern with me.

Like I said before, if I want a Broadcaster/Nocaster like the 50s ones, it looks like I'm better off to just pick up a custom shop Nocaster. You can get them used for only $300 or $400 more than the 70s Anniversary Broadcaster is going for.

heffus, rze99 and MickM like this.
  5. Torz Johnson

Torz Johnson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

There's one at my local shop. I wasn't blown away by it. There was nothing wrong with it, it just didn't give off an "I'm worth $2000" vibe.

It was giving off a "hold on to your Baja" vibe, at least to me.

6. DrBeezus

DrBeezus Tele-Meister

I liked mine at first, then I started to despise it. So I brought it in to get the neck reshaped to a 14. Barden pups. Modern Bridge, certain type of frets...etc

7. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's

Yeah, you lost me at the mention of the 7.25 " radius.

8. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Update.....played another this week at a different store. This one weighed 7.2 lbs; yeah, baby! If it's still there Monday, might have to break out the plastic :D

9. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

I like mine, and have been playing it everyday. I have plugged in right now.:cool:

boris bubbanov likes this.
  10. Wobbles

Wobbles Tele-Meister

Saving my penny's, I've got until new years eve.

11. Joe M

Admin Post
    Sorry so late on this update to my update.....went back to the store with the lighter Broadcaster and it is now in my music room....:D

RYAN1987M, rze99, mimmo and 5 others like this.
  12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Congrats, Joe!

We'd love to see images but honestly, I'd rather hear what you think after having played it 2 hours or so.

Crobbins likes this.
  13. KnopflerStyle

KnopflerStyle Tele-Afflicted

Jajajaja great job Joe. To me one of the best models outside... collectable.

Pickups and wiring, very interested on those. I think the wiring is the best scheme on a tele. i cant beleave we loose that scheme through the years and we accepted the modern one. Even with the bassy 3 position, will be great.

Fendereedo likes this.
  14. KnopflerStyle

On this video i can see what you said... hate that plastic feeling... Squier classic vibes have the same problem to me.

Also very different finish than fender video.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  15. Joe M

Admin Post
    The wiring on the guitar is the modern one, not the original with a blend knob. I've had/have several with the blend knob and, honestly, prefer the modern wiring. Just seems like a waste of position to have that bassy, front position, which, to me, is pretty useless. And, even using the blend control, you still can't get the same sound as you do out of the middle position on the modern wiring. Since I like to keep things stock, the 2 or 3 gits that I have with the blend wiring will stay as they are, it is kinda fun messing around with it, just not what I prefer.

RYAN1987M, Crobbins and Fendereedo like this.
  16. Joe M

Admin Post
    boris, I have put in quite a bit more than two hours since I've had the guitar for about 2 weeks. Here's my take: the fit and finish are as good as any American made tele I have ever played. I've kinda gotten used to the plastic feel of the neck, it could just be it's becoming worn in after being played. The pickups are fantastic, not as bright as most of my other teles, even in the bridge position. They're really growing on me. I've even had to boost the treble on my amp a bit. These observations are coming from someone who is a confirmed CS junkie; I think they are the finest guitars that Fender has ever made, including vintage (and I'm old enough to have played/owned vintage ones ;)) This Broadcaster ranks right up there at half the cost. I'm kinda afraid to try one of the CS models when one of my local guys gets one in stock; could put me way over the top if it is as nice as the production model :D.

Crobbins and boris bubbanov like this.
  17. KnopflerStyle

ok, but you could change the bassy sound changing the capacitor, like the broadcaster ones.

18. DrBeezus

DrBeezus Tele-Meister

the custom shop version I have came wired as it would have back in the 50's. It comes with a pre wired control plate to switch it to modern if you want to

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Crobbins, rze99 and boris bubbanov like this.
  19. KnopflerStyle

Im a little confused since the Fender videos says that they have changed the capacitor to avoid the bassy neck sound with something more modern.

So, you are saying that this version is not the same? They are coming with the bassy sound?

20. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

congrats - next we are looking forward to your NGD thread. Don’t forget to join the Broadcaster reissue club too. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.