Played The New Broadcaster Today-Update

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Joe M, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    One of my local shops got the new Broadcaster today and I was able to spend some time with it in the shop. Here are some of my impressions of the guitar; good, not so good, and bad. Remember, these comments are all my own opinion, YMMV. Before anything else, I am a die hard Tele fan, to me, it's the best guitar made, in all it's iterations, from Squiers to Masterbuilt models. I have had, or still have, all of them.

It was impeccably done in both fit and finish, I couldn't find a single flaw anywhere. Setup was perfect for me; in fact, the in-house tech came by while I was playing and asked if I wanted it setup. Told him it was fine with me but he eyeballed it anyway and felt that it was good. Played and sounded great; the neck was big, but not Nocaster big, fit my medium-size hands perfectly. Pickups sounded great, exactly like I think a Tele should sound. I really like the 7.25" radius and the vintage tall frets, which I know may be a turn-off for some.

Now, the not so good....even though the finish was perfect, it was just too poly-looking to me. Seemed like the finish on my 77 Strat, very plastic looking and feeling. I wasn't expecting that kind of finish. I was also surprised as to how white the finish on the body was, thought it was gonna be more butterscotch looking. You could see all kinds of grain through the finish, which was cool. The neck had more of the color that I was expecting the body to look like.

The worst thing, to me, about the guitar was it's weight. Thought it was pretty heavy when I took it off the rack and, after playing it awhile, had one of the guys put it on a scale.....8.5 lbs! Eeek, I gave up playing Les Pauls a long time ago. I don't necessarily have to have a 6 lb guitar, but this one was too heavy for me.

So even after getting a great price for the guitar, I passed on it, mainly because of the finish and the weight.

Thanks for indulging me; that's my story and I'm sticking to it.....

2. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for sharing, great detailed description

WRT the finish, it should darken as it ages just like the originals, but it does look very light new. Both my strat and tele have Ash bodies and both are around 8 lbs. so 8.5 sounds about right, but maybe I'm just used to it after all these years.

Crobbins likes this.
  3. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Afflicted

Yikes! Sweetwater has 4 Broadcasters and three are 8 lbs. The fourth is 9 lbs.

I haven’t tried one of these guitars in person yet but the body color is attractive to me.

No matter, a $2K Tele is not in my future.

Jim603 and Crobbins like this.
  4. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Meister

I've had mine for 24 hours and can tell you that the finish seems very fragile. Already nicked it in a couple of places through normal play. Though I haven't seen it advertised as a flash coat like the CS. It is a much lighter shade than the Pure Vintage I had, but I dig this, a little different than the norm.

Weight seems to be a range from 7 to 9. I notice those on Sweetwater are now 8+ after a day or so of being live. Probably a lot of people gunning for lighter weights.

Greggorios, Crobbins and rze99 like this.
  5. DaveG_NJ

DaveG_NJ TDPRI Member

I'll get mine tomorrow from Sweetwater - it is purportedly 7 lbs even and yes, the remaining ones are porkers.

Crobbins likes this.
  6. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

I have one coming in on Saturday that is also 7lbs...............:cool:

7. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

And mine is 7 and a quarter Pounds as previously reported.

I don’t find mine plastic like but yes it is glossy. And smelling wonderfully of nitro.

I’ve managed not to damage my “thin skin” yet. despite an early scare falling to side from an unstable stand soncan’t confirm fragile. Yet.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    Crobbins likes this.
  8. DrBeezus

DrBeezus Tele-Meister

The one I have that was ordered for me at NAMM is 6 pounds 4 oz.

Crobbins likes this.
  9. rze99

...you win the featherweight belt! Is that Custom Shop

Crobbins likes this.
  10. teleNtweed

teleNtweed Tele-Holic

Crobbins likes this.
  11. Violeiro

Violeiro TDPRI Member

I have a CS coming in a few months....can't wait

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Crobbins likes this.
  12. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

I agree that is a bit too heavy for what most Tele connaisseurs will desire...my cut-off point for a Strat or Tele is 8LBS.But of course even some vintage ones did weigh more so a heavy one is not incorrect.The light beige color is how the original early 1950s Teles actually were when brand new and they yellowed into what is now called Butterscotch over time.I agree that yellow Butterscotch is nicer than the pale beige color.Here is a 1953 Tele showing the original beige color it was when brand new:

53_tele_9.jpg

Crobbins and rze99 like this.
  13. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

I really wanted one of these in my 70th anniversary year. Not really feasible however, though I got close to clicking the buy button.

I've just got this instead. A totally adequate substitute. (If I keep saying it I might even believe it -sad face.)

20200212_140122.jpg

14. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

ooh 9 pounds is a right porker, not for me either, does anyone know the weights back when they originally came out?

Was this noted at the time, or i am guessing players didn't care about guitar weights back then.

15. rze99

there’s plenty of evidence out there that weights varied a lot in the early days and I suppose it was just not a consideration except matching the neck to the body ensuring the guitar balances on a strap.

16. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Dont’ call 8 lbs guitars “porkers”… my AV52 is just like that and she’s … curvy, that’s all! And sexy :p

MickM, Crobbins and mimmo like this.
  17. rze99

The internet told me that guitar weight was an issue. I never thought about it before.

I gigged a ‘74 Les Paul Custom for decades that weighs nearly 10 pounds.

true story - a doc was giving me a full medical for insurance and noticed an imbalanced trapezius muscle definition on my left shoulder compared to my right and enquired what sports I did. Yep, you guessed it - it’s the special guitar strap strap muscle.

MickM, rob2, Crobbins and 2 others like this.
  18. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Afflicted

Fender Custom Shop seems to select their wood for light weight. That’s where I got the idea that a lighter weight guitar was a premium.

My Road Worn 50s Tele and Squier Tele Deluxe are both just under 7.5 lbs. My American Special Tele, Player Strat, and Classic Player Jazzmaster are all 8 lbs. I would like all of them to lose half a pound but they’re happy the way they are.

teleNtweed, Crobbins and RadioFM74 like this.
  19. Lefty Addams

Hey they're all curvy and sexy, but too heavy and she's a porker, you know? lol

RadioFM74 likes this.
  20. Lefty Addams

ouch!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.