Played some Vintera Strats today

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by DougM, Nov 6, 2019.

1. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I was at my Fender dealer today and I played the BM Vintera 60s Modified and the Vintera 70s in Sierra Burst, which is the one I'm lusting after now. As much as I tell myself that I like 22 fret necks with 9.5" radius and medium jumbo frets, the 21 fret neck with the 7.25" radius and skinny vintage frets felt like home, and the pickups sounded awesome. The Ash body wasn't a boat anchor, but was a bit on the heavy side, probably in the 9 lb. range. It's gonna take all my willpower to not go back tomorrow and let it follow me home, even though I'm not thrilled about the PF board. And I even dig the three bolt neck joint and bullet truss rod adjustment. I've never owned an Ash body Strat or Tele, and I figure I gotta own one before I croak. The Ash sounds a little spankier than Alder to me. I also tried the Ultra in Mocha burst, which was nice, but not my cuppa tea. Cool metallic sparkle burst color though, which looks a lot cooler in person than the pics.
    I'm gonna have to take my Am Performer with me to compare to the 70s Vintera and then make my decision. Damn you Fender for doing this to my savings!
    And the Vintera 60s sounded and played great too, but the really light colored faded BM is kinda gross. They gotta stop making these colors all faded like a 50 year old one that's been in the sun and make 'em like they looked when new. They do the same thing with LPB, and I don't like it either. Fender Japan makes these in the nice dark original colors, and I dig that a lot more.

2. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

I played a Vintera 60's tele earlier too (LPB) - I had the oposite feeling tbh. I really didn't like it, especially compared to my '60's Classic' model the Vintera replaced.

The components somehow felt much cheaper, the body was much lighter, and the neck 'oddly' finished for my taste. I was super underwhelmed which sucked as I really wanted to like the guitar. :(

Greggorios likes this.
  3. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

I think they’re cool especially with some of the custom colors that are available now without going USA

I have yet to play one though

Greggorios and Fiesta Red like this.
  4. ferdtuff

ferdtuff TDPRI Member

Did they, by chance, have a Tele Ultra in that new Texas Tea color?

skradlee likes this.
  5. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

Good luck! I know people like to argue this point, but in my experience, ash sounds noticeably different than alder. Not better-different, but different. A little more open and resonant.

Grateful Ape likes this.
  6. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

I'd like to see that color in person... The photos online just look... black to me.

7. ferdtuff

ferdtuff TDPRI Member

I agree the pictures look black. On the Andertons youtube video they just put out, you can see it's a dark brown?? maybe? But both of them were just gushing about that color.

8. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

It's very sparkly, and goes from a light gold to a dark brown. I found it quite pretty, although it may be too much for those that like more subdued and conservative finishes.

9. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

No, that Strat was the only Ultra that they had received yet.

10. ferdtuff

ferdtuff TDPRI Member

Well I'm a fan of the Penny color as well, and that new Mocha Burst.

11. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

So, after playing my Performer this morning, my lust over the 70s Vintera has subsided. The Performer, for only $200 more, is simply a much better sounding and feeling guitar. There's really no comparison in the build quality, the fit and finish, the fret work, or the tone. The feel of the satin finish on the back of the neck on the Performer is SO much nicer and smoother feeling than the somewhat rough feeling Vintera neck. And the rosewood board is miles above the PF Vintera ones, as is the sound of the Yosemite pickups vs. the Vintera ones. So, I've saved myself $900.

12. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I was surprised that you were GASing at all when the bulk of your OP was talking about the things you didn't like about them.

13. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

A couple of corrections- the neck on the Vinteras is a glossy finish, so I'm not sure why they felt rough to me. I guess I should go back and try them again. And the 70s Vintera is $950 while the Perforemr is $1100, so the difference is only $150.

14. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

The only thing I said I didn't like about the Vintera was the faded BM finish on the 60s one, and the look of the PF board. I loved the Sienna Sunburst finish on the 70s one. I did say that I was surprised that I loved the 21 fret neck with vintage radius and frets since my current favorite Strats all have 22 frets necks with a flatter radius and more modern frets. I still would actually like a more vintage feeling Strat too. I'm just not sure I want to spend that much for one. Maybe I should look on Ebay and Reverb for a used Classic series one instead. The only problem there is that shipping to Hawaii is often prohibitively expensive.

15. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

I don't mind the 7.25" radius or vintage frets. It's what I grew up playing.

Funny thing is that I reach for one of my 9.5" with the "speed bump" fret wire mostly these days.

DougM likes this.
  16. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

Funny, I couldn't disagree more. I tried a 60s Vintera and I liked it much better than the Performer, which I thought lacked character tonally, and was kind of unrefined build-wise - it felt like a sledgehammer to crack a nut. As for price, I don't think it's particularly relevant - if you like one and not the other it's pointless to say that either is worth more. I suspect a lot of people have it down to that tiresome USA vs Mexican thing... but on this side of the pond we don't care so much about all that. Honestly, until you get to more than two-and a-half times the price of a Vintera, there isn't a US Strat that I'd take a second look at... and I'm the sort of person that's spent a fortune over the years just to have the best of everything (blame, making up for a deprived childhood :D).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.