Played some Les Pauls yesterday.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Otis Fine, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

A few months ago I sold my 2016 Les Paul 50’s Tribute gold top to fund another guitar purchase. That Lester had the sweetest tone, but it also had a static crackle in the neck that I could never get rid of, so as much as I liked it, it had to go.

Yesterday I drove to my local GC and played 5 different LP’s.

In the order I played them into a Vox AC10:
    Epiphone 1959 Standard
    Epiphone Custom
    Gibson Tribute
    Gibson Standard 60’s
    Gibson Studio

I wanted to fall in love with the Epiphone 1959. LOOKS and feels like a Les Paul should with Gibson Burstbuckers, Switchcraft Jack and switch, CTS pots, Mallory caps and a hard case for $800.

I did not fall in love with it.

The Gibson Les Paul Standard would have made me LOOK like a badass, but I didn’t love it either.

The Gibson Studio was nice, the Epiphone Custom was really nice and probably my second favorite, but the Tribute was just killer. Sounded like my gold top but without the static. Played great. Weight relief, so I would guess it’s between 8 and 8 and a half pounds. Honey burst.
    I think it liked ME too, because when I left, it followed me home.

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Gibsons are tough to shop for, as they're really inconsistent. There are great ones out there, but you have to run the racks a bit to find the great ones.

I went shopping for a Lester about six or seven years ago, fully intending to get myself a nice Standard as a "keep it forever" instrument. After running through every one I could get my hands on, the one that wound up coming home with me was a Studio Plus.

Life is funny that way.

3. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Afflicted

Yep.....been looking at L.P. Standards forever.
    In 1974 came home with a 55 Special RI, in 1979 a 1960 L.P. Jr followed me home.
    Got rid of both in the 80s and in 2019 a SG Standard 61 RI (2013) with a Maestro found a home.
    Guess that's as close as I'll get......

Frodebro and Otis Fine like this.
  4. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

Went shopping for a humbucker Paul about twenty years ago, wound up with a P-90 Epiphone.
    Twelve years later, I bought a Gibson 2HB Special.
    The reason for both purchases: they felt right.
    Life Is funny that way.

Archtop Bill and Otis Fine like this.
  5. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

I bought a (USA) Hamer instead... Mirage II. end of story

P1110345.JPG

6. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

Yup, LP shopping can take unexpected turns. 5 or 6 years ago I went to Hollywood's row of music stores on Sunset Bl looking for an LP Standard. I tried a bunch of different guitars and found one that played buttery smooth and sounded so sweet and huge that I bought it. Except it was not exactly an LP Standard, it was a '68 LP Custom reissue.

LP Custom.jpg

3 or 4 years ago went looking again for an LP Standard and after a playing several Les Pauls, took home the one I liked best. But again it wasn't an LP Standard, it was an LP Special with P-90s. Tried again 3 or 4 months ago and came home with a '61 SG. Maybe I won't get an LP Standard, at this point I seem to have all the bases covered and may not need a Standard.

LPSpclSC.jpg 61SG.jpg

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  7. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Afflicted

I've played tons of Les Pauls, new/old, custom, grail, etc. This is my Les Paul killer....2006 Ernie Ball Silhouette I bought used for about $1300. Once I set it up the way I like it, I've never played any Les Paul that plays or sounds better.

0604201E-52DF-44B8-87FC-1A3EC88A9C32_1_105_c.jpeg

8. ponce

ponce Tele-Afflicted

I've had a few Les Pauls in my hands and could never bond with them. Scale, neck angle... Had a feeling I tried to play guitar on a viola.

Otis Fine likes this.
  9. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

You know the rules . . .

10. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Congratulations!
    A few months ago I wandered into a guitar center just to look around. I had no intentions of buying a guitar. However I spotted a lovely 60s Les Paul with a perfect slim taper neck. It followed me home.
    4AA9131F-3541-40B6-91D7-460C86AE3F0A.jpeg

TN Tele, xland, miguelalmeida and 4 others like this.
  11. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I've had a very hard time finding an LP I liked, then bought 2 last year.
    A 2020 LP Classic in Honeyburst which was flawless. The only thing I changed was adding covers to the pickups. Love the pickups with the split-coil, out of phase & bridge direct push/pull pots wiring.
    C05A062B-ADC5-47C3-8032-36C7CA742831.jpeg

Then a few months after I bought the Classic, I found a '77 Ibanez 2650 that I had to have. Set-neck, ebony fretboard, 3 pickups & a neck shape that's more Fender than Gibson. I did end up swapping the Super80's for Lollar Imperial's since the Super80's were too hot for my liking...just can't decide now whether to keep or sell the Super80's. I've always lusted after the black 3 pickup LP Customs...but was never going to pay for something that expensive. The 2650 is equal to any Fender or Gibson in build quality & only cost around $1K.
    937D65ED-298E-44E3-AF93-325FFF5489DE.jpeg

I can find Strats & Teles anywhere that I can bind with....LP's have always been a different story. Never expected to find 2 in the span of a couple months though.

richiek65 and Otis Fine like this.
  12. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I have the 2014 120th Anniversary LP Studio Pro in my avatar. I bought it to put away. Not exactly as an "investment" but sort of without a long drawn out explanation. I got it for a stupid low price so it's already worth twice what I have in it. My wife says to play it but it's so mint it stays in it's case and that's in the original shipping box in a closet. I break it out once a month or so for 5 minutes but that's about it. I believe the finish was only made for this model, Heritage Cherry Sunburst Candy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Archtop Bill and Otis Fine like this.
  13. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

I’ve really tried to like several LPs. Owned a Gibson Studio and Epiphone whatever the three pick up gold hardware one is / was. Borrowed a mate’s ‘80’s Gibson Standard with a view falling in love and buying it. First two lasted six months apiece and I never fell for nor bought the third. Just do nothing for me.

Otis Fine likes this.
  14. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I love the traditional sound of a full-on solid body Les Paul. For me, there is no other reason to own a Les Paul. THAT SOUND.
    In my opinion, the only guy who gets that tone any more, (and I'm not a big fan), is Slash. The Les Paul tone on the G & R albums is among the best modern Les Paul tones I've heard.
    The chambered body Les Pauls just don't have those thick highs and singing tones you get from the neck pickup when you play above the 10th fret. Or that biting bridge pickup on the middle and lower notes.

That's what I look for in a Les Paul. Otherwise, it's just a really nice looking guitar that sound the same as most other guitars of it's scale length and style.

lmjmitchell and miguelalmeida like this.
  15. Denton

Denton Tele-Meister

Owned a couple recent LP’s including a 50’s Standard. Amazing neck, but the weight just got to me. I picked up a 19 Sg 61 and it’s just the guitar for me. 6.5 lbs, incredible neck.

Otis Fine likes this.
  16. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Gotta disagree on this one. The Les Paul I bought has all of those things. That's why I bought it. For the tone, man. For the tone.

Telenator and Fretting out like this.
  17. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell Tele-Meister

I went to Sam Ash a while back with $3k to buy a Gibson Les Paul.

I really wanted to like them but was very disappointed. The overall workmanship of the 3 I tried was poor and upper fret access is terrible. I would have been ashamed to offer such a product for sale.

I played a $500 Gretsch that had far better attention to detail. The Epiphone versions had better fit and finish for a fraction of the price. I don't know why Gibson can't seem to maintain basic quality control standards.

richiek65 and Otis Fine like this.
  18. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Afflicted

I think that the Gibson Tribute models are the best bang for the buck in the LP lineup. The satin paint is a cost down measure, but I prefer it to a glossy finish. The faux binding is a nice touch over the studio; I don't think that LP's look right without binding.

Now take a photo so we can see it.;)

Fretting out and Otis Fine like this.
  19. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I have started collecting MIJ Les Pauls recently, Epiphones and Burnys so far, really nice guitars if you find good examples.

Frodebro and Otis Fine like this.
  20. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Congrats! Sounds like you found a good ‘un.

and yet, we have no pictures…

Otis Fine likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.