played my 1st quilter - i'm impressed!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by thunderbyrd, Apr 28, 2019.

1. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

a friend just got one. it's a 101 Reverb through a matching 1x12 cab. sounded much like a really good fender, to me. the gain sound is really fine, also.

I went on the quilter website and read that the bass and treble control makes a blackface deluxe noise, and the mid control brings out an "aggressive D-style bite". "D" meaning dumble, I guess?

i'm not as knowledable on amps as most on the tdpri, but for 7 bills, this would do anything i'd ever need an amplifier to do, I think.

those who know, is it as great as it seems? are there any drawbacks?

bravescoob and NothingGoatboat like this.
  2. NothingGoatboat

NothingGoatboat Tele-Meister

I've never played a Quilter, but it seems like you found yourself a nice amp. I recommend you bring it home and test it out there, if you haven't. I've found that testing amps in loud guitar stores doesn't always sound the same as anywhere else, haha. Good luck!

3. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

We've been using Quilter amps for the Hawaiian Steel Guitar Convention backline for the last few years. We also bring a Twin Reverb. More and more players are plugging into the Quilters as their first choice. Haven't tried the 101 Reverb, but it's one of the amps I'd like to spend some time with along with a DV Mark Guitar Friend II.

4. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

I used a Quilter on an outdoor gig without being mic'ed, probably 1000 people. 1 -10" speaker, sounded great, if I were still able to play guitar, I'd have a Quilter!

5. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have a Quilter Micropro 12" combo, it's about the size of a Princeton Reverb and only weighs 21 lbs ! Still figuring it out as it has a lot of different options, mostly I pick one or two good clean amp settings and use my pedals through it.

I started out with a 101 Reverb, at the time it seemed a bit dark sounding so I sold it, but looking back in fairness it may have been the speaker I was using with it. I'd be willing to try another one.
    And I had one of the little Quilter Interblock 45 amps, no reverb or limiter but it sure sounded good.

The Quilter gear is pretty cool , compact , should be very dependable, Quilter is Pat Quilter the guy who started the QSC PA gear.

There is a Quilter user group on Facebook FWIW, lots of good info there.

bravescoob likes this.
  6. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

I got a 101 without reverb last summer. Done with tubes.

bravescoob and thunderbyrd like this.
  7. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Ringo, I just got a used micropro 200 head and initially, when A/B'd with my other AMPS [yamaha G100 II, Fender Champ 12] I felt it was too dark sounding and almost flipped it. On a whim, I decided to try a JBL E110 with it and wow, there's the sparkle and Fender chime!
    So yes, speakers play a huge role in getting the tone in your head out of a Quilter. I'm keeping and gigging with it now.

8. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

Yes, speaker choice makes a huge difference, as with any amp.

I almost gave up on my Mach II head before I got an Eminence EM12. It’s giving me the sound I was hoping I could get from this amp.

I find the Mach II to be very bassy/woofy. Seems to be a common complaint with the Quilter stuff. The EM12 tightens up the low end, and the highs are very clear but not harsh. Loving this amp for the first time since I bought it over a year ago.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.