Played At A Federal Prison Last Week

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Strat God, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Strat God

Strat God Tele-Meister

Yup -a first for me and the boys. We played at a women's FCI and what a trip it was.

First, it was a challenge just getting onto the grounds -seems nobody told the gate that we were coming so when the truck and 3 cars rolled in without prior notice they didn't have a sense of humor. There was another entrance that had the info but not where we came in.

We set up in a large cafeteria -the officers had built a large stage for us with carpet and helped us unload and get setup and teardown. The warden played drums years ago and we got him up for a few. Did 3 sets and everyone had a great time. Wish I could go into more detail, but they said we will be back for another gig this year.....can't wait to entertain those lonely young women again. ;^)

2. voodoostation

voodoostation Friend of Leo's

Hard to beat a captive audience!!

3. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

Oh, come on! Why can't you go into more detail? That must have been a trip and a half! The vibes must have been something else. Fess up!:p

4. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

Quite an experience aye?

I played Medium Security for men, as a guest by the way, about 15 years ago. When we arrived they opened the outer gates...we drove into "no mans land"...gate closed behind us...inner gates open and we drove in...gates closed behind us...now we are "IN". Quite an odd feeling.

I was playing bass in a duo and my buddy played acousitic guitar and fiddle. and we both sang. I was very proud of the music we put out in that duo, but it wasn't quite the right act for this PRISON. The audience was very courteous, but somewaht perplexed. One gentleman finally approached us and ask us if we did any rap. No was our answer of course, but he said he and his pal did, so we gave them the mikes. They started in, one with the vocals, one with the "beats" and a circled started to form around them. Then the entire prison yard or damn close to surround them all bobbing up and down to the rythym and doing the rap hand motions. We didn't have to play for the rest of the gig.

When the gig was over the inmates were chatting it up with us when the signal for "fun time over" was heard and they all had to line up as the guards corraled them and off the the cell blocks they went.

Weird...ominous...PRISON! I was very glad to be on the other side of the fence shortly thereafter heading to home to do things I wanted to do, when I wanted to do it and dressed in a color other than orange.

Prison...a nice place...TO STAY OUT OFF!

[​IMG]

5. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

I played one prison gig long ago with a psychedelic band. The weirdest day of my musical career.

6. tboy

tboy Friend of Leo's

Did you do Folsom Prison Blues?

7. Bryan

Bryan Tele-Holic

How do you end up getting a gig at a prison? I am interested to know.

8. bender-freak

bender-freak Friend of Leo's

lotsa fun, them prison gigs..!!!

posted about this before, but worth another telling...the band i was "head honcho" of years ago did a stint as part of a package show with several other groups/artists years ago at the Missouri State Pokey ....when we did our set, our bass player sang a couple of solos, and the inmates just went absolutely wild, clapping, whistling, and cheering; it was deafening:lol:

after load-up and on the way home, the bass player was just full of himself, bragging and strutting about how he "knocked 'em dead"..we let him go on and on and finally got it thru to him (he was VERY green and "unworldly", ya know) that the reason he got such a response was 'cause the inmates thought he was "very pretty"....

we played there again several times, but the kid never went back; had to get a substitute bass player.....it were PRICELESS, i tell ya...:twisted::twisted:

9. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

Ours just came through a local agent.

10. Strat God

Strat God Tele-Meister

I'm a contractor for DHS and my bass player is a 30-year cop (hence "KEYSTONE" band) - we have a few connections.

11. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

At a federal prison?

Well... you've got mail fraud, kidnapping, tax evasion, certain drug offenses...

12. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I used to play a County Jail on Sunday nights for the men and then the women with an acoustic guitar trio. A Priest was our connection and they were expecting church music. I don't think we knew any religious songs. Our big hit with the men was an original called "Fat People Gonna Smother the World" that gave the audience a chance to make "fat noises." The hit with the women was called "Skinny Dipping" written by one of the other guitarists. He'd turn beat red when he sang it to them. They teased him so much. Sometimes we'd see people we knew. "Hey, Joey, what are you doing in here?" "Oh, I had unpaid traffic fines so they gave me weekends..."

Great fun and a break for the guys and gals that were in there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.