1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Played a truly awful gig Saturday night...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by soulgeezer, Sep 28, 2020.

1. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

Just my opinion, but there are three aspects to a gig:

1. Did the audience like you
    2. Did you get asked back
    3. Did you sound good
    Professionals care about all three. I don't consider a gig successful unless I can say yes to all the above. I've had plenty of gigs where the band sounded "OK" but the audience liked us and we got asked back. I've had a handful when the band was on fire, the audience liked us and we DIDN'T get asked back; also not a success in my book.

I would also recommend recording the band. I can't tell you how many gigs I've played where I though the band was "meh" and I listened to the recordings and found out we actually sounded pretty good.

soulgeezer and dougstrum like this.
  2. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

Had one of those gigs recently.

Set up at the gig, thought my amp was broken, so I zoomed down 95 to get my backup amp. Turns out the problem was my input cable, which was brand new, and I just had tested it the night before!

Broke 2 strings. The bass player started a few songs in the wrong key. The drummer broke his bass pedal. The singer had trouble with his mic.

Crowd liked us. Ended up getting a private party gig.

Digital Larry likes this.
  3. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I don't gig, but had an interesting experience as audience member. I saw Radiohead at MSG a couple of years ago and ranked it as one of the best concerts I have ever attended. I vividly recall Thom Yorke's voice being spot-on. Not long after, I found some video of the actual concert I attended, and was surprised to hear a lot of off-pitch singing.

4. nedorama

nedorama Tele-Meister

Was in a band 25 years ago where the other guitar player would always make the "wince face" when he missed a note/chord or flubbed a solo. None of our fans cared, but one time someone asked me "hey, is he OK? I thought he might be sick tonight..."

I mess up all the time in shows, but now smile and laugh it off and keep going.

5. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Meister

Man. I'd just like to play for someone other than the walls and the trees in the back yard. All of our gigs got cancelled this year.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.