1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Played a Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Freight Twang, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Freight Twang

Freight Twang Tele-Meister

Well, I have heard of these pedals for years, and have recently become friends with John, but have never played one. All I can say, for me, it is worth every penny, I have had all the mojo-y pedals, (Klon, King of Tone, Tim , Zendrive, AC Booster,etc. ) and this is in another league. Overdrive is the smoothest sound I have ever heard, and covers all the classic tones, just plugged in DR, and heaven.

2. millhouse

millhouse Tele-Meister

What would make your really sick is to find out more about the circuit. Then you would wonder why people are paying so much for it. I will agree though, there is a lot of "mojo" in his boxes. I give the guy credit for what he has been able to do though.

Ducks to put on flame retardant suit,
    Jason

3. Freight Twang

Freight Twang Tele-Meister

Oh, I know about the circuit, but I never have had a box that sounded like that one, and all the money I have spent on other high dollar pedals , and the money I lost,ha, these seem to be a bargain and the last one that I will buy.

4. millhouse

millhouse Tele-Meister

One things about pedals, we all spend too much on them. One of the reason that I started building my own, and I am pretty sure that it has made me spend more money. If it is the one that does it for you, just like a certain guitar, or amp, then you got to have it. I do love his paint jobs for sure.

5. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

I remember when John was an amp repairman/restorer/customizer in Pensacola.Great guy,knows his stuff,good player.I remember his prototypes.His stuff started really taking off in a few years,always gets rave reviews.I've only had amp work done by him,but it was always top notch.

6. wierdOne

wierdOne Tele-Holic

I had his first MOD distortion... #1.... traded it back to him recently for a few pedals....

he's the only person that I know of who knows what each resistor/capacitor sounds like.... not just what they'll do to your signal... but... actually can describe how each one sounds.... and show it to you...

His house is his workshop, there's pedals EVERYWHERE... and yes... he does charge alot for his work.. but... if it's got his name on it... then he actually did all the work on it.... except for Arlon's crazy paint jobs of course....

you're not paying him money for his pedal... you're paying him for the time that he spent building your pedal.... you're paying for his lifetime guarantee... you're paying for the mojo.... and for the 40 years experience he gained as an electrician... you're paying for the years of work he put in miniaturizing the circuit to cut down on the signal path so you don't lose any harmonic content on your signal.....

is it expensive?... well... when you compare it to the price of one distortion pedal... then... maybe.... but... as the original poster stated... how much money did he go through in pedals before he got his landgraff?.... so... In my humble opinion, no.. they're not expensive..

Countless people on the gearpage have trashed his work.... at times it made me mad.... but.. you know what's funny? none of them can/have/or will ever make a pedal that works as well as his.... because he's not on forums talking about other peoples pedals... he's in his living room working on a pedal, amp, or both at the same time....

I want one of his amps.... but... that's a WHOLE lot more cashola than a pedal... :(

luckily, i've got the only other amplifier I've ever played that even comes close to the quality of John's work...... thanks Mr. Smith... wherever you are... :D

7. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

An LDO has been on my very short wish list of dirt pedals, ever since I first heard one on the LPF. Should have gotten one when I had the money. Been waiting for the price to go down. last one I saw was 'priced' to sell quick at 495. Guess it is going to be a lonnnnnnng time before I get one of those.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.