Played a Fender Professional Tele-blew me away unplugged

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by fred4321, Aug 19, 2019.

1. fred4321

fred4321 Tele-Meister

Hi,

I'm trying to unwind what is it I experienced. I am not very technical re guitars.

I went to my favorite guitar shop to buy strings. Naturally had a look at the Teles and I picked up a maple neck American Pro Tele on display and had a play unplugged. Had a look as it was in my affordability bracket.

It was fantastic. Easy neck, fast and really comfortable. Didn't bother to plug it in, it was the play-ability that felt really natural. Had a hold of other Pros and much the same.

I went home and played my MIM Standard Tele (which is great) and now it feels less 'natural and easy' after playing the Pro.

Trying to work out why I'm now scheming to get hold of one.

2. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Maybe the set up was nicer on the Pro.. have you got your MIM standard set up? or done by a pro?

it could be a combination of things.. I had an american pro and the set up could be better out of the box, but once dialed in, it felt home, and the same as my other teles..

3. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Get a good set up and you will be fine.
    There is no inherent "general playability" in guitars.
    Unless the particular neck has the specs that YOU like.

4. fred4321

fred4321 Tele-Meister

Maybe that's it

5. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

New strings decent set up a neck profile that’s right for you would do it. Some necks can feel instantly nicer than others that’s for sure.

BramptonRob1958 and 8barlouie like this.
  6. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Meister

Love at first sight: run make a trade with your MIM, otherwise you may very well spend the next couple of years trying to find back a guitar that « speaks » to you as much as this one does.

7. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I suspect your MIM needs a good pro setup and probably a fret level. I find zero difference in playability between the cheapest and most expensive guitars I have ever owned, once they are setup appropriately. It's all the setup and the fret work (and if that body style suits you)

As to "why you're scheming to own one" you answered that question in the post itself didn't you?

8. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Holic

If your serious about getting the AmPro I highly recommend it. I got mine for Christmas last year. I had no idea I was getting it. It was a complete surprise. I’ve owned and played some pretty nice guitars but the AmPro is far and away my favorite from the moment I got it. The only thing i would say is you should play it plugged in first. The treble bleed is different but in a good way I think.

slider313 likes this.
  9. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Afflicted

This...

BramptonRob1958 likes this.
  10. dreamingtele

+1..

put a down on it immediately and get it out of the floor, then sell the MIM..

11. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The American Professional Series Tele has a deep "C" shaped neck with narrow/tall frets. I find the neck feels perfect and the fretwork is outstanding. These also come stock with a bone nut and compensated brass barrel saddles. I really like the pickups, which use A5 magnets on the wound string side and A2 on the plain string side.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  12. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I would tend to agree with others that you may have just played "the one" for you and you should go get it.

I played an American Pro Telecaster a month or two ago as well that I really thought was amazing out of the box, but not so much that I went home and couldn't sleep thinking about buying it. If my Tele was broken and I'd been trying it I would have bought it though. I was just in there and asked them to pull a nice Tele off the wall to test a pedal.

However I have done a lot of setup on my MIM Standard and I feel like that closes the gap a lot.

The American Pro Telecaster I picked up clearly had the nut adjusted at the factory. I have never seen a MIM Fender that looked like someone at Fender had hand adjusted the nut.

I think the fretwork on the Am Pro is better as well, and the narrow-tall frets may just play better anyway. That slightly thicker neck is really nice too. Not too much for me like the Baja, but it is deeper than the Modern C.

But if you had someone dial in the nut on your guitar and set up the bridge saddles & neck relief carefully I think you would find it made a big difference.

The thing I wonder about with my MIM is whether it's a heavy guitar. I need to weigh it sometime. If I was to upgrade to a fancy American Tele I would be looking at something like buying from Sweetwater and trying to select a lighter specimen, but I'd want one that grabbed me in terms of playability as well, like this one grabbed you.

The American Pro would something I'd really consider though, I really loved the one I played. I would definitely want to check out the Elite with the compound radius fretboard too though.

13. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Meister

The better wood, the better components, the extra time put into it, they add up.

slider313 likes this.
  14. fred4321

fred4321 Tele-Meister

I believe that may be the answer. I have done some more research on the American Pro, and there is a difference with the specs compared to my MIM.

I'm going to see if that guitar is still available, cause it may just be 'the one'.

Telebeestar and slider313 like this.
  15. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

That my young man is the quintessential “bonding” with a guitar experience. It when you find an instrument that feels great. A “je ne sais quoi” moment.

It’s what a lot of folks don’t get when they say “a Squier or MIM is just as good.” That’s not really the point. I started out on less expensive guitars which were great but then i found something I liked better. Yes, it was more expensive but it felt and played better. I played a very nice Peformer Tele Hum in guitar center. It was nice. Then I picked an American Original. No contest IMO.

The guitar is a tactile instrument. How it feels is the secret sauce.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Telecaster88, jwp2, navier and 3 others like this.
  16. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

You should go buy that particular guitar that you liked. Others of the exact same model could well feel very different.
    When I worked in a guitar store me and the other guys always agreed on which one of two or three supposedly identical guitars that came in was the better one.

BramptonRob1958 likes this.
  17. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Meister

I think the combination of thoughtful details, superior fit & finish and the "Deep C" neck shape make the American Professional Telecaster special.

IMO it's sort of their "doctor's car" - quality design, quality parts, quality construction, minimal trim.

I love mine, like the OP - it feels perfect, plays wonderfully. No corners are cut, and you can feel the value when you hold it. I can't identify any aspect of it where I realize "Shame, they cheaped out on that". There isn't any "just as good as" to it. It is what it is and no apologies are needed.

It's SO comfortable. I find it VERY easy to reschedule everything on Saturday or Sunday and play for 8-10-12 hours. ( It makes my wife go crazy... ).

There's a reason it's priced the way it is, and it's not necessarily apparent on paper.

It's not for people looking for vintage features.

FWIW - I've compared a few of them, and think the alder bodies sound better for some reason.

Anyway, that's how I feel about it.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  18. fred4321

fred4321 Tele-Meister

Thank you all. I went down to the store and it was bought by one of the sales people!
    Oh well, I'll keep looking and now I'm prepared to keep my mind open.

BTW Wallaby and burntfriloes and others - my sentiments exactly. I bought my MIM after playing a few and stumbled on it: bonded straight away.

19. dreamingtele

We all have similar stories, but we all learn this way.. Now time to set up your MIM... bone nut, fret level, etc etc.. it will play like better than new..

jwp2 and fred4321 like this.
  20. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Meister

Awww, man! Great minds think alike I guess, that's too bad.

But... there are other guitars and maybe something you'll like even more!

Getting a good setup on your current guitar might surprise you too, like dreamingtele mentions.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.